OT: Visiting St. Louis -- tell me what there is to do!

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I'll drop in the Blues City Deli. Great food and music. Right by Hodak's. Hard not to go to both.

marigolds

Jun 29, 2012
(my wife and I are going to try to find a way to get her sister stuck in one of the museum's tunnels/contraptions. I know, we're evil)
The tunnels under the skateless skate park are really good for that. They shrink on you very quickly, and before you know it you have your shoulders wedged. Not that I have done that. Other ways to get stuck are crawling under the lobby floor and numerous tight squeezes in the caves.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The tunnels under the skateless skate park are really good for that. They shrink on you very quickly, and before you know it you have your shoulders wedged. Not that I have done that. Other ways to get stuck are crawling under the lobby floor and numerous tight squeezes in the caves.

344f148238488166e812cae596a2217438e87396929acf3ec0df24ebcc6262dc.jpg

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Alton, IL just outside of STL has some great restaurants:
Tony's
Gentelins
Jimmy the Greek's

Then ride up along the river to Grafton. Great place!

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010

A friend and I wormed our way through X-braces in the underside of one of the suspended outside structures. If you're not asking yourself if you're supposed to be there, you're not trying.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Been a while since anyone posted in this thread. As I am driving the 7 hours to see my first Blues game at Scott's trade, where are the best restaurants down town around the rink?

This will be a quick in and out visit. But I may check Go visit the Arch. Would love to see the museum, but we will not have enough time.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Been a while since anyone posted in this thread. As I am driving the 7 hours to see my first Blues game at Scott's trade, where are the best restaurants down town around the rink?

This will be a quick in and out visit. But I may check Go visit the Arch. Would love to see the museum, but we will not have enough time.

As others have said, Bogarts is a must if you like BBQ. St. Louis has some of the best in the world. The Arch is open now so you can ride it to the top! I don't think the grounds are complete yet but the tram to the top is.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Bogart's and Pappy's are both worth it, but Bogart's is better and significantly less crowded.

The City Museum is pretty much the best thing ever. The experience is best with a group of friends.

The Art Museum is highly underrated. I live in Chicago and can get into the Art Institute for free, and I still think the StL Art Museum, while obviously not on the same level, is fantastic and absolutely worth it.

StL has one of the best zoos I've been to (probably third only to San Diego and Memphis), and has the added perk of being free.

Tbh I wouldn't bother with the Science Center. It's really simplistic and directed at kids--I went back there a few years ago and realized I had the rose-tinted goggles hardcore.

The Botanical Garden is one of my favorite places in town. The Japanese and Chinese festivals there are especially worthwhile. Also, the past couple of years they've had amazing lights setups during the Holiday season--it's super crowded then but great if you can get in. SO and I hung out there around closing a couple of years ago and snuck into some places =P and it was really magical.

I'm also a big fan of the butterfly house, if that's your cup of tea. I've got some friends who don't like it, but I studied a lot of ento in undergrad so it's one of my favorite places in town.

I'm sure other people have much better bar suggestions than me; I haven't lived there since high school. When I visited my friends in college, we would go out clubbing to Wash Ave.
There are a couple of venues I really like, though. The Pageant is a really nice place and they get some pretty big names there. If you're into electronic at all, Club Europe is pretty legit.

If you like plays, the Fox Theatre is amazing. It's one of my favorite places; I try to make it back for a show at least once a year.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
City museum, science center, Cards game, all fun things to do.
Doubt you find tickets to the Blues games.

I think you'll like St. Louis, its a pretty nice city.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
The science center is kid oriented so only do that if you have younger kids. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy the city museum at any age you're dead inside.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
City museum, science center, Cards game, all fun things to do.
Doubt you find tickets to the Blues games.

I think you'll like St. Louis, its a pretty nice city.

I do have tickets. This will be my first game in St. Louis. I will check out Bogarts and I think the Arch.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like they will have some pretty cool things down at the center prior to the game.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan

It's probably not the kind of restaurant you are looking for, but I would eat at this place everyday if distance was not a factor:
http://www.bluescitydeli.com

Not a lot of seating and it gets really crowded during lunch time. It's even more fun when they have the live blues. Can't go wrong with that name, either.

The other thing I might recommend is Urban Chestnut. The Manchester Location has a bit more upgraded food menu. I think their beer is pretty good, and I think you can't go wrong with a Biergarten before a hockey game.

http://urbanchestnut.com/food/
Other Things:
1.) Go to the Hill, go to either Vitale's or Missouri Baking Company and get a Cannoli (and a bunch of other stuff).

2.) Stop at one of these four Donut Places: Donut Drive In, Donut Stop, World's Fair Donuts, St. Louis Hills Donut Shop

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad