OT: Visiting Las Vegas (with a Local Flair)

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
i think it depends on your scene.
Park On Fremont is good and Evil Pie is right next door.
If you like a dark and dive-y kind of bar, The Griffin is right across the street and they serve strong drinks.
For a rock and roll/billiards type bar, there's Triple B's. If you are into craft cocktails there's Oak & Ivy in the Container Park.
Then there's the oldest liquor store/bar Atomic Liquors.
There are also a couple of cool bars in the Art District on Main Street, Velvateen Rabbit(Craft cocktails and beers) and Re-Bar which is right across the street.
For me, Commonwealth has too much of club vibe to it, although the roof top terrace is nice.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Don't think she carries too much metal...mostly cigarettes, pharmaceuticals, Burt's Bees, lotion, phone, keys, various other notions and sundries I can't even identify. :) I'll encourage her to travel light!

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Got through metal detector fine with belt and glasses after passing wallet (which is listed is acceptable to have on body, but I did it anyway), keys, and phone to an employee. Didn't disclose my 500 mL water bottle...

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm going to unsticky this since our images all disappeared. We can update it with places to watch Knights games and such once we get that going.

I'd still like to take the local angle for the Out of Town visitor thread since there's a million Las Vegas tourism sites, but we can take it whatever direction you'd all like.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
As an occasional out of town tourist to Vegas, I kinda like this thread. While there certainly are many tourism sites, many are little more than paid advertisements. At least on HF, people speak their mind. :laugh:

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
I'll be there for a long weekend this weekend, will be catching the game Saturday night. Looking for recs on cheap eats on/near the strip.

The few recs I have so far
Taco El Gordo
Bobby's Burgers
Burger Lounge - Aria
Five50 Pizza - Aria
BBQ - Ellis Island
Earl of Sandwich - Planet Hollywood
In-N-Out (we don't have them in Louisiana yet)

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I may have mentioned this place already in the thread, but I've hit it a few times recently so it's top of mind.

Herbs and Rye on Sahara near Valley View. It's kind of a shady-ish neighborhood, but their happy hour from 4-8 has half priced steaks and the drinks are amazing. http://www.herbsandrye.com/

SkepticalDougO

Jul 8, 2010
Louisiana
Are there typically any food trucks around the strip / in walking distance? Someone told me about a park that had a bunch on Thursday nights but that's before I'll be there

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I may have mentioned this place already in the thread, but I've hit it a few times recently so it's top of mind.

Herbs and Rye on Sahara near Valley View. It's kind of a shady-ish neighborhood, but their happy hour from 4-8 has half priced steaks and the drinks are amazing. http://www.herbsandrye.com/

I'm having dinner there next month when a buddy comes to town. I keep hearing good things.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It's just a very non-Vegas spot. It's an old mob Italian restaurant, but it's small, dark, and they've got great food and drinks. Awesome place.

Sounds like my kind of place. I'm not a fan of the traditional Nevada Style Taverns with the square bars, smoking & gaming.

Did their happy hour change recently? I thought it started at midnight for the half priced steaks.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Are there typically any food trucks around the strip / in walking distance? Someone told me about a park that had a bunch on Thursday nights but that's before I'll be there

On Thursday nights, there's a food truck gathering at Total Wine and More next to Town Square. It's on Las Vegas Blvd, but it's kinda a stretch for "walkable."

If you're a considering buying a bus pass, you could get to a lot of places north of the Strip, including one of my local faves, the Goodwich. Puerto Rico Express is also nice.

lasvegascopper

Jun 17, 2017
There is no food option in the area around the area..no trucks/carts. The Park is the where you need to be. MGM wants you spending money in their restaurants prior to the arena and Foley wants you eating inside the arena.
The area in front of the arena is a ghost town outside of people waiting to get inside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad