OT: Visiting Las Vegas (with a Local Flair)

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What about Centennial Hills, is that a good place to be?

Centennial Hills is fine. Some of the people in the apartment complexes are a little more "apartmenty" than in other places, but it's a decent side of town. It's growing again, so some of the stuff it's missing now will likely show up in the next few years.

It's a little far from The Strip if you're the kind of person that might like doing strip-type things.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
I've heard Summerlin and Centennial Hills so I've been looking at those but apartments seem hit and miss based on reviews. Thanks.

Also, take those reviews with the proverbial grain of salt. Apartment management can easily submit the positive reviews, while the negative ones may come from someone who has been rightfully evicted...leaving her yappy little dog out on the balcony all night every night while she's away at work swinging from the pole at Larry Flynt's for instance. :laugh:

If you can, it's not a bad idea to take a drive through the complex you're interested in, both day and night, to get a feel for the clientele and their habits.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Everything is pretty new.

If you stay in the areas everyone's mentioned and check out the pictures on apartments.com and it looks good, you've likely found a decent spot.

Go with the newest looking place, though. :laugh:

I'd tell you all the apartments I enjoyed, but the names have changed and 15 years have passed, so they're probably all dumps now.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
If you're looking in the "Summerlin" area, try apartments that are located on Tropicana, Flamingo, Sahara and Charleston that are west of Durango. I lived in a complex called Vintage at The Lakes for about 6 years and didn't really have any complaints.
I currently live in the Aliente area and I'll tell you it's pretty damn quiet. We have a house though and I think most of the apartments are in the Centennial Hills area.

Good luck in your search!

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'll be visiting Las Vegas for two different conventions for two consecutive weeks, starting next week. Thomas & Mack and The Venetian, respectively.

With that said, which of these places would you recommend, as a local?

https://www.restaurant.com/listing?...NV&p=89164&int=rdc_h01_124&page=1&pagesize=30

I've never been to any of those places with the exception of India Palace, which was okay to me. It's in a crap neighborhood and has been empty the two times I've been there.

I've heard of Pampas, which is supposed to be the 5th best Brazilian steakhouse in town. I'm a Texas de Brazil kind of person, though.

Other than that, Naked City Pizza is involved with the team and is doing team bus on game days, so I guess they're cool. Hopefully they're not actually in Naked City.

Overall, it's a pretty unimpressive list of restaurants that are overwhelmingly in older/cruddier neighborhoods. Are they making you eat off this list as part of a per diem plan, or are you just looking for a deal?

ETA: I figured it out. Expand the distance to 20 miles instead of 5 if you're getting a car. Jackson's is okay if you want bar food. Dom Demarco's is okay for fancy pizza. Gaetano's is supposed to be good, but I haven't personally had it.

Still a pretty rough list, even with additional choices from distance.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Dom DeMarcos has a great happy hour from 2-6 & also does half price pizza M-F from 2-4. One of the best happy hours in town, IMO.

If you do go there, ask for your pizza well done. Then tend to leave the crust kinda mushy.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Naked City is good. They have a couple locations now but the original is on Arville near DI. The other is near the T&M so you might give that one a try, ADT. No idea how it got that name. It's nowhere near the actual naked city area.

Grand Lux at the Venetian is good. It is the Cheesecake Factory under a different name.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
If we're talking about budget-friendly options, the Goodwich all day errr day.

If you have some sort of voucher/code for that web site though, I'd go for the following:

- Rollin Smoke BBQ (only if you don't have experience with any of the true BBQ meccas)
- Sushi Takashi (good mid-range/affordable option for sushi)
- Gaetano's (I've enjoyed their Groupons)
- Naked City Pizza (dig the pizza for sure, not much experience with other items)
- Truffles N Bacon Cafe (no experience but good reputation and I intend to try eventually)

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I've heard 7 Sinful Subs is reallly good but haven't made it over there yet.

My favorite place for Indian food is Mt. Everest on Sahara and Valley View. The lunch buffet is great and cheap and dinner is just as good.
Don't let the outside of the building fool you. And apparently the current mayor and former mayor would dine there weekly.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
If we're talking about budget-friendly options, the Goodwich all day errr day.

If you have some sort of voucher/code for that web site though, I'd go for the following:

- Rollin Smoke BBQ (only if you don't have experience with any of the true BBQ meccas)
- Sushi Takashi (good mid-range/affordable option for sushi)
- Gaetano's (I've enjoyed their Groupons)
- Naked City Pizza (dig the pizza for sure, not much experience with other items)
- Truffles N Bacon Cafe (no experience but good reputation and I intend to try eventually)

How many times have you eaten at Sushi Takashi? I follow their FB page and want to try them. Do they have AYCE?

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
How many times have you eaten at Sushi Takashi? I follow their FB page and want to try them. Do they have AYCE?

Honestly, just once, and it was quite a while back. It was good that one time for sure, and I think they may still have the 10-course or 12-course meal options. There was AYCE but it was significantly more expensive. I got quite full anyway from the 12-course menu and was able to take home leftovers too (not a possibility w/ AYCE).

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Devils fan coming in peace. Spending 4 days in Vegas from Australia for the Devils' Vegas/CA road trip.

Looking forward to watching hockey and hanging out with other hockey people.

Staying just off the strip, about a 20 minute walk east of T-Mobile.
Stayed at the same place for a night during a road trip out to Monument Valley and Grand Canyon and when I went to Frozen Fury in October, so familiar with the accommodation.

Look forward to reading suggestions and potential meet ups at places.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
12-16th March.
It's actually my birthday on the 12th so want to go out drinking and watch sports, maybe go to a hard rock/heavy metal bar.

Nothing planned apart from the game on the 14th, and drive back to LA on the 16th.

You'll be here for the end of the college basketball conference tournaments. If you'd like the drink and watch sports you'll have that to enjoy as well as hockey. Lagasse's Stadium is a great place to just hang out and watch sports with good food, but there's almost nothing better than watching things like that in a normal sports book. There's a few good ones on the Strip, but if I'm down that way I almost always go with the Westgate Superbook. It's a little huge and empty if it's a slow sports day, but if there's tournaments going on, it's amazing.

I'm guessing you'll just miss both tournaments, though. They usually end on that Sunday, and then the national tournament starts in earnest that Thursday.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I used to enjoy Hammer's Bar and Grill in Henderson.

Great wings and very hockey friendly. I believe the owner was a lower level minor league player back in the day.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Might be in Vegas for 3 days this winter, a friend recommended the bars in the Fremont East area, any specific ones you guys would advise?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Might be in Vegas for 3 days this winter, a friend recommended the bars in the Fremont East area, any specific ones you guys would advise?

Park on Fremont is my favorite and Commonwealth is pretty solid too, but everything down there is so close you can hit em all if you want.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Awesome, thanks :cheers:

No problem. Fremont East, and downtown for the most part has everything really close. There's a lot of good places to check out without needing a car to get from place to place.

It's a little grimey down there, but it's a good place to hang out for drinks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad