OT: Visiting Las Vegas (with a Local Flair)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sup folks. So, I had already mentioned this to @BattleBorn , but I may be moving out to Las Vegas for work soon. Myself and my boss have just started looking at apartments for me (no gf, no pets). So...Idk what I'm really asking here, but yeah, lol.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If you want some luxury, check out Constellation in Summerlin. https://www.constellationliving.com/ You can live among the players that aren't stable enough to purchase homes in Las Vegas, be a five minute walk from City National Arena so you can check out Knights practices, and you're in Summerlin. Might as well get your Knights conversion started early. :)

If you put a list of places you're considering together and PM me, I'm happy to give some guidance.

Also, here's the apartment guide for Summerlin.

http://summerlin.com/uploads/files/apartment-guide.pdf

As you can tell, I'm very pro-Summerlin. :laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Personally, I preferred Henderson to Summerlin based on value and other factors.

But it really depends on your personal preferences and budget.

I enjoyed being about as far Southeast of Vegas as I could get without being in Boulder City. Had peace and quiet, access to what I wanted without the traffic or the more interesting residents of Vegas, and being able to skirt around the outskirts of Vegas to go to Arizona or Cali.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If you want some luxury, check out Constellation in Summerlin. https://www.constellationliving.com/ You can live among the players that aren't stable enough to purchase homes in Las Vegas, be a five minute walk from City National Arena so you can check out Knights practices, and you're in Summerlin. Might as well get your Knights conversion started early. :)

If you put a list of places you're considering together and PM me, I'm happy to give some guidance.

Also, here's the apartment guide for Summerlin.

http://summerlin.com/uploads/files/apartment-guide.pdf

As you can tell, I'm very pro-Summerlin. :laugh:
What do you mean "aren't stable" ? :laugh:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Personally, I preferred Henderson to Summerlin based on value and other factors.

I enjoyed being about as far Southeast of Vegas as I could get without being in Boulder City. Had peace and quiet, access to what I wanted without the traffic or the more interesting residents of Vegas, and being able to skirt around the outskirts of Vegas to go to Arizona or Cali.
Edge I didn't you know had lived there. I'm not really a peace and quiet type person, I love city noise.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Edge I didn't you know had lived there. I'm not really a peace and quiet type person, I love city noise.

Yeah, for more than 20 years. Went to middle school, high school and college there and lived there until January 2014 when I moved for work purposes.

NY and Vegas are my two homes.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
My guess is he means they haven't gone all "Al Bundy" ie. Married with Children for those who don't know.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, for more than 20 years. Went to middle school, high school and college there and lived there until January 2014 when I moved for work purposes.

NY and Vegas are my two homes.
Oh wow I didn't know that. Hey how's your family doin man?

My guess is he means they haven't gone all "Al Bundy" ie. Married with Children for those who don't know.
Ohhhh ok LOL, thanks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Oh wow I didn't know that. Hey how's your family doin man?

Ohhhh ok LOL, thanks.

Doing good, my son is progressing nicely and started first grade a few weeks back. He is responding well to treatment. He's a rock star!

As for Vegas, feel free to PM if you have any questions. Obviously, there are plenty of people on here who also can give great feedback and might be more familiar with certain parts of town than I am.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Doing good, my son is progressing nicely and started first grade a few weeks back. He is responding well to treatment. He's a rock star!

As for Vegas, feel free to PM if you have any questions. Obviously, there are plenty of people on here who also can give great feedback and might be more familiar with certain parts of town than I am.
Great to hear. I'll definitely share more when I actually have something to share. :laugh:

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish

It's mostly suburbs around here unless you decide to move to Downtown Las Vegas or something. Otherwise, everything is within reasonable driving distance of Downtown or the Strip.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's mostly suburbs around here unless you decide to move to Downtown Las Vegas or something. Otherwise, everything is within reasonable driving distance of Downtown or the Strip.
Yeah, closest thing is probably downtown, and that's still in the middle of a solid rehabilitation process.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That's cool, I mean, I don't mind quieter areas, I just don't mind noise either.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Sup folks. So, I had already mentioned this to @BattleBorn , but I may be moving out to Las Vegas for work soon. Myself and my boss have just started looking at apartments for me (no gf, no pets). So...Idk what I'm really asking here, but yeah, lol.

Yes, good news, another Ranger fan in the Valley! Let me know when you get here Auf, I'll invite you to a Knights game as a welcome to town.

Edge,

Always respect your opinion when it comes to hockey & the Rangers, but I am actually living in exactly the area you describe, Southeast Henderson, & it's god awful. Inconvenient to every other area in the valley, terrible traffic on the 215 in each direction, & really sketchy neighbors. Nothing is close to me, Whole Foods, decent restaurants, or cool bars...nothing. Every errand I run takes 20 minutes minimum in each direction.

I cannot wait to move next week to Southern Highlands. Closer to everything & a simple commute to the strip. Much quieter than this part of Henderson & way less street traffic. I was working in Henderson til recently, so I tolerated it, but now that I work on the strip, I plan to never travel east of Pecos unless absolutely necessary.

Auf,

Battleborn has it right, Summerlin is a great area, way cooler with much nicer dining & nightlife options than Henderson. Had I not lucked into the house I'm moving in to, Summerlin was where I was planning on ending up.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the city noise you're referring to does not exist here. The noise we have is usually incessant barking dogs & obnoxious diesel pick up trucks. Once you adjust to this place, you'll crave quiet.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
so my trip to vegas was great (as usual). the house we stayed at was very nice. it was around spring valley. pretty cool area. in our travels we went to hoover dam (what a sight), and red rock canyon. for those who said summerlin is nice they were correct. i liked that area a lot. and of course going to the strip is always fun (new york new york ftw). the golden knights game rocked. tmobile arena is a little interesting. when you sit down the arena looks very compact.

all in all, it was a very good trip. i love vegas lol

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes, good news, another Ranger fan in the Valley! Let me know when you get here Auf, I'll invite you to a Knights game as a welcome to town.

Edge,

Always respect your opinion when it comes to hockey & the Rangers, but I am actually living in exactly the area you describe, Southeast Henderson, & it's god awful. Inconvenient to every other area in the valley, terrible traffic on the 215 in each direction, & really sketchy neighbors. Nothing is close to me, Whole Foods, decent restaurants, or cool bars...nothing. Every errand I run takes 20 minutes minimum in each direction.

I cannot wait to move next week to Southern Highlands. Closer to everything & a simple commute to the strip. Much quieter than this part of Henderson & way less street traffic. I was working in Henderson til recently, so I tolerated it, but now that I work on the strip, I plan to never travel east of Pecos unless absolutely necessary.

Not sure where you were, I was on US 95 and Horizon, had all kinds of restaurants near by, Vons just down the block, two Walmarts within 15 mins and Green Valley Ranch was 15 mins away on the 215 - including a Whole Foods. Billy Bob's in Sam's Town was a quick drive, had no less than 4 movie theaters within a 15 min drive.

As for Southern Highlands, my wife used to teach over there. Knowing what I know of the area, not my cup of tea.

It all depends on where you work and what you see as being at the top of your list. But personally, I always found dealing with traffic in and around Summerlin to be difficult. Similarly, that's why I never had a desire to head up into Seven Hills or Anthem.

I worked on Sahara and Decatur for many years, would shoot down Sahara to Boulder Highway and catch the 95 from there. I lived 35 miles from my job and on an average rush hour, it would take make about 40 mins to get home. On the weekends I would head out to Boulder or some other place and the freeways were great than too.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Edge,

Auf,

Battleborn has it right, Summerlin is a great area, way cooler with much nicer dining & nightlife options than Henderson. Had I not lucked into the house I'm moving in to, Summerlin was where I was planning on ending up.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the city noise you're referring to does not exist here. The noise we have is usually incessant barking dogs & obnoxious diesel pick up trucks. Once you adjust to this place, you'll crave quiet.

Keep us posted.
Thanks man. We'll see what happens. :)

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
But personally, I always found dealing with traffic in and around Summerlin to be difficult. Similarly, that's why I never had a desire to head up into Seven Hills or Anthem.

Unless you work close to home I wouldn't recommend Summerlin to anyone for that reason. Not sure what traffic you are referring to in regards to Anthem and Seven Hills. I live in Anthem. 15-N is a breeze in the morning and South at 5pm going home. This area of Henderson close to the 15 is perfect to live in. Like Zubov mentioned the 215 is not as good in both directions so living in Henderson off the 215 is no good and also say Mountains Edge in the SW. Anything near Blue Diamond, Silverado Ranch, Cactus or Saint Rose off the 15 is perfect if you work on the strip or downtown or anything in the center of the valley.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ironically enough, I managed to avoid the 215 during rush hour for my last 7 or so years in Vegas. During those peak times, I found it was far easier to take the streets. People would instinctively go for the freeways, and they weren't necessarily the best option.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Ironically enough, I managed to avoid the 215 during rush hour for my last 7 or so years in Vegas. During those peak times, I found it was far easier to take the streets. People would instinctively go for the freeways, and they weren't necessarily the best option.

Since I moved here in 2011, the traffic problems in Henderson have become exponentially worse. The streets do nothing to alleviate the problem. Even if you decide to stay off the freeway, the traffic lights are maddeningly long & the backups become unbearable. You really can't win if you travel during peak hours.

The city planners didn't have alternate routes in mind when laying out the road system in Clark County. God help all of us if there's ever a real emergency & people need to evacuate rapidly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad