Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

robitaillefan

Bababooey,Tatatoothy
Sep 7, 2005
BC, CANADA!
Hey guys, I'm coming down for the playoffs this Sunday....3 big questions...I've been to la and staples area before....so ....Want to try something different than la live...

1. What is a great restaurant/ bar in the downtown area.....Even something off the fine menu like pinks or roscoes is fine ...

2. Where can i get a kings jersey in the downtown area....good selection, fair prices...is the Team la store my only option close to the stadium?

3. I'm going to catch a angels game on Monday....what's the best way to get to and from...I'd like to leave from downtown la to angels stadium...and would like to get back to lax....or downtown again...whatever works....i know there is a train after angels games that takes u back to union station in downtown...thinkin about doin that..... Waddya think...

Last edited:

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
Hey guys, I'm coming down for the playoffs this Sunday....3 big questions...I've been to la and staples area before....so ....Want to try something different than la live...

1. What is a great restaurant/ bar in the downtown area.....Even something off the fine menu like pinks or roscoes is fine ...

2. Where can i get a kings jersey in the downtown area....good selection, fair prices...is the Team la store my only option close to the stadium?

3. I'm going to catch a angels game on Monday....what's the best way to get to and from...I'd like to leave from downtown la to angels stadium...and would like to get back to lax....or downtown again...whatever works....i know there is a train after angels games that takes u back to union station in downtown...thinkin about doin that..... Waddya think...
1)Wurstkuche is always tasty or you could go to Phillipes(birthplace of the french dip).
http://www.wurstkuche.com/
http://www.philippes.com/

3) The train is the way to go. I think it takes about 40 minutes to get from Union to Angel Stadium. Depending where you are staying, Union station is just a short train ride away.

http://www.octa.net/angelsexpress.aspx

mrc23

Aug 4, 2005

1. If you want a sports bar, Big Wang's is close to Staples and always fun. You can take the train to Langer's and have some amazing pastrami, but you should go during the daytime...not the best neighborhood. And I'll put in my vote for Cole's over Phillippe's (Cole's is the other originator of the French Dip). In terms of bars, if you want something hip, try the Standard. A little pricey, but a downtown institution.

2. For jersey's, Team LA is your best bet unfortunately. Can't think of anywhere else. They sometimes have sales though, you should follow them on Facebook, they may have a gameday promotion.

If you dig through this thread, there are quite a bit of suggestions.

1. It really depends what you are looking for. There are a ton of fancy to cheap restaurants in DTLA and nearby. Big Wangs is a good sports bar as the guy above me mentioned. I think they have good specials on Sundays (I know in the afternoon they have $0.25 wings). If you like Whisky, try Seven Grand (corner of 7th/Grand). Silo is a Vodka bar a bit further down 7th Street. The Standard is a trendy place with way overpriced drinks but if you are looking for something "LA", that is a good bet. Another place with a good view and good food is Takami/Elevate which is a sushi bar on a semi enclosed rooftop. Perch is another rooftop bar but I've never had the food there. That one has a real cool view though. Dublins has $4 pints all day. Roys is a fancy Hawaiian fusion restaurant that is pretty good. There is Morton's, Flemings and Nick and Stef's for steakhouses. Want cheap food? Grand Central Market has tons of food stands. There is a taco stand there that sells tacos for $2.50 and they give you 4 tortillas with a mound of whatever meat you choose. The Library bar has a decent beer list. Chaya has fancy food (that I don't like) and has a great beer list and happy hour (not sure if it is weekday only). Bottega Louie is a decent italian restaurant and they make a kick ass Old Fashion. there are some cool bars over on Spring Street (can't think of names off hand). The Pantry is a 24 hour diner that a lot of people like but I've still yet to go to. The Edison is a bar built in the downstairs of an old Edison power plan that has an early 20th century theme.. that is more of a nightlife place though. Google/Yelp will help you find any of these places.

2. Team LA

3. Take the train - easiest way. The train literally drops you off in the parking lot of Anaheim stadium.

Last edited:

419forever

Mar 14, 2008
NJ
hey guys - visiting LA for an extended weekend, staying in Hollywood - where's a good place to catch an out of town game?

GummiBaked

Holiday in Cambodia
Oct 16, 2008
Los Angeles
We're looking to attend a watch party tomorrow and how typical is it that ESPN ZONE is showing the Clippers game on the big screen and the Kings on the smaller screen on the side. The place will be filled with BB fans (I can't stand them) and I'm sure the BB play-by-play will be blaring.
I know about the Penalty Box too, which is fine but no real food, just apetizers.
Any suggestions for anything else for tomorrow?

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Metro Discussion (Metro Red/Orange/Green/Blue/Expo/Gold, Metrolink, bus, etc.)

If there is another thread this should go in I apologize and feel free to move it. I thought maybe the "visiting LA" thread but this is more of a local question.

Tried figuring this out on the metrolink website but I couldn't figure it out because I'm stupid and impatient (my mother drank a lot during pregnancy).

I'm in Santa Ana and I need to get to Staples Center by noon. There is a metrolink station pretty close to me in Orange, or there's the big train station in Santa Ana. I figure my options might be limited because its a Sunday (are there even trains running?).

If someone who is familiar with metrolink can give me a clue here I'd appreciate it. Or direct me to the right place on their website? Preferably something where I can see exactly what trains I need at what times etc? I need this explained to me in super doofus mode. Pretend like I'm your cousin with Downs syndrome and I'm going on my first train trip (I promise not to poop my pants on the train).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
Not helping with the OP - but we're in Santa Clarita & looked at the Metro Link option. Our conclusions:
  1. Decided it wasn't worth it.
  2. The Metro Link website is totally & completely incompetent.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
taking a quick look Here it looks like there are only two trains in the morning and in the evening running on Sunday running in to Union Station and running out from Union Station.

Train 661 leaves Orange at 9:42am and arrives in LA at 10:40am and train 664 leaves LA at 4:40pm and arrives at Orange at 5:25 pm, thats your only option with Metrolink.

you can also try Amtrak if all else fails, good luck

Go on their website and look at the schedule for the stop you want to go to and from (orange to LA union station). here is the link...

http://mobile.metrolinktrains.com/main/schedules

There is an Amtrak train that leaves at 10am. Get there 15-20 min early to buy your ticket. I've never been there but there should be a vending machine near the platform. Get off at union station. Exit down the tunnel there and there will be a long hallway. You can go either left or right. Go down the stairs to the red line. Your metro link ticket is good for the redline. Get on either red or purple line train. Exit the third stop 7th/metro. You can either go all the way up to the street and walk down fig or get on the blue/expo line and take it one stop. The walk is 4 blocks.

Just check the schedule for a train leaving union going to orange anddo the reverse.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Glad somebody else asked this first.

I am in Chatsworth and have no idea how to work these metro sites. Complete newbie here.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Go on their website and look at the schedule for the stop you want to go to and from (orange to LA union station). here is the link...

http://mobile.metrolinktrains.com/main/schedules

There is an Amtrak train that leaves at 10am. Get there 15-20 min early to buy your ticket. I've never been there but there should be a vending machine near the platform. Get off at union station. Exit down the tunnel there and there will be a long hallway. You can go either left or right. Go down the stairs to the red line. Your metro link ticket is good for the redline. Get on either red or purple line train. Exit the third stop 7th/metro. You can either go all the way up to the street and walk down fig or get on the blue/expo line and take it one stop. The walk is 4 blocks.

Just check the schedule for a train leaving union going to orange anddo the reverse.

Great info here. One question though. You said "your metrolink ticket is good for the redline". Did you mean Amtrak ticket? That's what I'll be buying right? Or will I need a fresh ticket for the red line?

Thanks again!

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
taking a quick look Here it looks like there are only two trains in the morning and in the evening running on Sunday running in to Union Station and running out from Union Station.

Train 661 leaves Orange at 9:42am and arrives in LA at 10:40am and train 664 leaves LA at 4:40pm and arrives at Orange at 5:25 pm, thats your only option with Metrolink.

you can also try Amtrak if all else fails, good luck

Thanks for the info. Checking this out along with Amtrak. I HATE dealing with parking hassles and traffic when I have a ticket to an event in my pocket. I just want to get there...now! Especially for a possible WCF clincher!

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
Great info here. One question though. You said "your metrolink ticket is good for the redline". Did you mean Amtrak ticket? That's what I'll be buying right? Or will I need a fresh ticket for the red line?

Thanks again!

when you purchase a Metrolink ticket, it also lets you ride the metro redline to staples for free. Metrolink is the multiple county train transit and Amtrak is a nationwide train system, you'll be going Metrolink

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
We're taking the Metro from Fullerton, it leaves at 9:45 and takes about an hour. My buddy has it all figured out if you want to meet us there.

EDIT: Seeing as your screen name is Maynard (tool?) and you have a picture of a drum kit I think you'd have fun rolling with us.

Last edited:

Thanks again!

You know.. I haven't rode on that line before and the line I used to ride didn't have Amtrak trains. I looked and it is going to cost you $14 for an Amtrack ticket one way. Just take the Metrolink trains instead. There is one that leaves at 9:42 am and returning at 4:40pm. Your metrolink ticket is good for LA Metro buses and trains. Buy a round trip ticket when you are at Orange as it will save you money.

It is really simple. Most stations have free parking. Orange has 400 spots (just checked) so there should be plenty of parking available. Don't be afraid to ask people for help if you are unsure but you really just show up, buy a ticket from the vending machine and get on the train when it shows up. Sit or stand wherever and show your ticket to the conductor if he asks for it. When you get to the red line, there are turnstiles for TAP cards (you won't have one), just go through them and make sure you have the metrolink ticket with you in case a metro cop asks for it at the station or on the train. By the time you get to union station, you should see a few Kings sweaters, just follow them.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007

I am in Chatsworth and have no idea how to work these metro sites. Complete newbie here.

I live in Northridge. I'm taking the 101 South, exit Lankershim, park at the Universal Metro station and take the Red Line to 7th Street/Metro Center, walk approx. .5 miles to Staples. Total Roundtrip Cost: $3.00

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Buddy-

I'm using the Metrolink down at Pine/1st for the first time tomorrow. Having figured out "The Tube" and the NYC Subway System during vacations, I think I've got it figured out as far as what to take (Blue Line to Pico) and I'm even going to take the LB Passport from 2nd/Park so we don't have to pay to park downtown. I'm just wondering if you have any tips on when to arrive for ticket purchases etc...

I plan on taking the 9:47 LB Passport which will get me to the station at 10:00. From there, I believe there are 4 trains that will get me to Staples prior to noon, with the latest being 11:54. Obviously, I don't want the 11:54 so we want to grab one prior to that. Does it take a while to buy tickets?

From Chatsworth, it doesn't look like Metrolink runs on the weekends. You can either drive to the Orange line (bus) station at Warner Center and take the Orange line to the North Hollywood redline station and get on the red line there (exit 7th/metro, follow my instructions on my prior post from there). Or you can go directly to the Red Line station at North Hollywood. It looks like both have parking. Look at the links below for the locations. The orange line runs about every 15-20 mins and red line every 12 mins. It should take you about 45 mins on the Orange line and 25 mins on the red line.

Orange line time table and map:

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/901.pdf

Red line time table and map:

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/802.pdf

It looks like for the Orange line, you buy your ticket at the station. I think you can buy a tap card from the vending machines and get a day pass which would cover you for the red line. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a ticket for the Orange line and the Red line individually.

Buddy-

I'm using the Metrolink down at Pine/1st for the first time tomorrow. Having figured out "The Tube" and the NYC Subway System during vacations, I think I've got it figured out as far as what to take (Blue Line to Pico) and I'm even going to take the LB Passport from 2nd/Park so we don't have to pay to park downtown. I'm just wondering if you have any tips on when to arrive for ticket purchases etc...

I plan on taking the 9:47 LB Passport which will get me to the station at 10:00. From there, I believe there are 4 trains that will get me to Staples prior to noon, with the latest being 11:54. Obviously, I don't want the 11:54 so we want to grab one prior to that. Does it take a while to buy tickets?

The fare for the passport is $1.25 i believe but just ask the driver. Just take the A or D Passport to Downtown Long Beach and get off at Pine. You'll walk up a block to 1st Street and there are ticket machines on the platform. The Blue Line ticket is $1.50 each way so don't buy a day pass since that is going directly to staples.

You can also take the 131 Long Beach transit bus to the Wardlow Station and get on the blue line there. The train takes forever coming out of downtown long beach so that might save you 10 mins or so. The 131 takes 30 mins to get to Wardlow and then 37 minutes from there on the blue line. Or you are looking at a 15 min passport ride then an hour long blue line trip.

I'm pretty sure the 131 stops at all the same stops at the passport on 2nd street. It then turns and goes up redondo to spring street. It costs $1.25 too.

131 schedule (it should pick you up a little after 10am):

http://lbtransit.com/schedules/Default.aspx?routegrp=131&direction=West&day=sundays&mode=schedule

It looks like the blue line runs every 12 mins after 9am so as long as you get to Downtown by 11am you should be in LA by noon.

There is this live bus tracker too that you can save the link on your phone if you have a fancy one:

http://webwatch.lbtransit.com/webwatch/default.aspx

just select either Passport A/D or the 131 (depending on what you take) and it will tell you when it will be at the stop on 2nd/Park. And it does look like the 131 picks up at that same stop.

Last edited:
Buddy the Elf easily has my vote for Public Transportation Poster of the Year.

...and its not even close.

Haha! Yeah I've lived in two different places in the past 4 years while working in Downtown LA so I know how to get around without a car pretty well. I actually carpool to work now but that might change when they change the carpool lanes on the 110 to toll lanes. Did everyone hear about that? The 10 and 110 carpool lanes are now going to be like the 91 fasttrack lanes and you are going to have to pay quite a bit to use them.

EDIT: Mods, when the thread has run its course, maybe merge it with the Visiting LA thread in case somebody asks again at a later date? I think there might even be some info in there that I've posted before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad