Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Downtown LA is filled with nice small restaurants. Prices vary. LA Live is convenient and yes they are overpriced. But with technology you can easily find a good small restaurant on yelp :)

Are there any cheap places to eat in the Staples/LA Live area? From what I have seen of the menus in LA Live, the prices are out of sight although I am tempted to try the games in the ESPNZone.

They are all over.. what are you looking for? Fast food? Cheap sit downs?

There is a car wash on Olympic across the street from LA Live that has great mexican food. Don't believe me? Look it up on yelp.

Big Wangs (sports bar/wings place) has 50% off appetizers during happy hour. I believe that is M-F only though. There are lots of great happy hours in downtown LA.

There are Denny's and IHOP or the Pantry for breakfast food. Carls Jr's (fast food) sell pitchers of beer for like $6 to go along with your combo meal.

When you look on Yelp, try looking for things on Figueroa, Flower and Hope because you can take the "F" DASH (bus) up and down Fig/Flower for $0.50 a ride. It will save you some walking or driving and re-parking. Panini Cafe and Big Wangs are close enough to walk.

Not really. But if you're willing to walk a block or two, you'll have a lot more choices.
My friends and I ended up here before a game last season. Decent food & prices - 2 blocks from Staples:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/panini-cafe-los-angeles

This is a great suggestion. You can get a very filling and delicious meal there for ~$10.

Elias For President

Nov 21, 2011
They are all over.. what are you looking for? Fast food? Cheap sit downs?

There is a car wash on Olympic across the street from LA Live that has great mexican food. Don't believe me? Look it up on yelp.

Big Wangs (sports bar/wings place) has 50% off appetizers during happy hour. I believe that is M-F only though. There are lots of great happy hours in downtown LA.

There are Denny's and IHOP or the Pantry for breakfast food. Carls Jr's (fast food) sell pitchers of beer for like $6 to go along with your combo meal.

When you look on Yelp, try looking for things on Figueroa, Flower and Hope because you can take the "F" DASH (bus) up and down Fig/Flower for $0.50 a ride. It will save you some walking or driving and re-parking. Panini Cafe and Big Wangs are close enough to walk.

This is a great suggestion. You can get a very filling and delicious meal there for ~$10.

Thanks for the suggestions, that is awesome that Carl's Jr. sells pitchers of beer, they don't do that where I'm from. I'll have to decide between Big Wangs and the Panini Cafe.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Hey guys I'm flying out to LA for the Coyotes, Jackets, and Capitals games coming up. The game vs the Coyotes is actually on my birthday so I have some friends coming with me. I was thinking we'll get dinner before the game. Most likely in the LA Live or Downtown area. What do you guys think is good time to get dinner to make sure your out with plenty of time to get in and seated before the games starts?? (I'm flying 3,000 miles for the games so I obviously don't want to miss any of it.)

I was thinking maybe get dinner at 5?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Last time I went to a game and had dinner, I had dinner at 5. You never know how long it might take and watching warmups is fun.

cheap77

Go Kings!
Mar 19, 2011
Sorry if this was asked before.

Is downtown LA a decent area to stay in? I would probably stay in a hotel pretty close to Staples. Are there things to do? Is it a nice part of town? Is it cheap or will it cost me an arm and a leg?

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008

Is downtown LA a decent area to stay in? I would probably stay in a hotel pretty close to Staples. Are there things to do? Is it a nice part of town? Is it cheap or will it cost me an arm and a leg?

It is hit or miss. 2 blocks can make a huge difference. If you want to avoid driving a lot stay close to the red line. It goes from union station through Hollywood and Universal City walk. It is cheaper than parking and fairly safe and clean.

Dowtown LA is fine for the most part. I guess it depends on where you are staying though. The hotels in the financial district are all pretty nice like the Biltmore, Bonaventure, Standard, Wilshire Grand, Marriott etc. If you are over closer to city hall, things can get a little dicey and like the guy above me said, two blocks can make a big difference. As long as you aren't a single girl walking to and from Staples by yourself, you should be fine. And use google to find what the prices are. You are probably looking at $200+ a night on a weekend.

darrenturcotte#8

Sep 17, 2006
I'm coming out to visit my little Bro at USC on 3/3. Obviously the Kings-Ducks game is on the must do list. Where do you guys think the best place to get tickets is? Where would you want to sit for your first game at Staples? Any thoughts on a Hotel near USC that nice and not in Watts???

TrevorK

Aug 1, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Where do you guys think the best place to get tickets is? Where would you want to sit for your first game at Staples? Any thoughts on a Hotel near USC that nice and not in Watts???

I went to LA over Christmas and took in a Kings game.

I found that stubhub and ticketmaster both have sites that sell second hand tickets (I went to the phoenix game so I wanted to pay less than face value). They both seem reliable and trustworthy. Just keep an eye on their fees (for buying tickets).

I was sitting centre ice, row 9, and it was great. The tickets were $80 a piece (at least a third of what they go for in my city). not sure on your budget but I'd highly recommend sitting close.

darrenturcotte#8

Sep 17, 2006
Thanks. Seems like tickets def go below face but Stubhub fees are brutal. How do I get a great deal on a pair with those fees?

JetsIce*

Los Angeles is by far the best game day atmosphere in the entire league. NBA, NHL, NCAA downtown LA is the best. For Lakers, Kings, Trojans, NCAA Pac 12 tournament games. It simply out does every city.

Downtown LA comes alive at night. LA LIVE is nice but might not have much time to spend. I prefer walking from the heart of downtown and take the 15 minute walk and enjoy tons of underground shops, restaurants,etc.

There is usually some good tailgating going on around those stores behind the lots or walkways. A big Laker game brings out the best.

I remember Kings games a few years ago in April coming down the playoff stretch and downtown LA was hopping.

Hotels are all expensive.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
whats up guys i come in peace.

I am looking at a job in LA working at LAX. I figured id come to my fellow NHL fan brethren to get some info on the best locations to live.

Im looking in the 1000=1200 price range and an easy commute to the airport. I appreciate the help in advance.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN

I am looking at a job in LA working at LAX. I figured id come to my fellow NHL fan brethren to get some info on the best locations to live.

Im looking in the 1000=1200 price range and an easy commute to the airport. I appreciate the help in advance.

If you see my bags come through the terminal, please just let them go. Don't go snooping where you shouldn't be. Just find a place close to the 105 because that is where the green line train runs that goes to the airport. Being sarcastic on that bit of advice..

Close to the airport you are probably going to pay a lot for a little in a nice area (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan or Culver City, Santa Monica, Venice) or you are going to be in the hood (Inglewood and the rest of South LA). For the most part, if you are anywhere close to the 105 freeway, you are in a bad neighborhood. I'm not sure that I can give you a great suggestion in that area because for $1000/$1200, you are going to end up with a very small place in a city near there worth living, if you can even afford anything at all. Torrance probably isn't that expensive but I have never looked there. I live on the eastide of Long Beach and pay $1200 for a two bedroom/two bath.

sabrescupchamps2099

Baseball season!
Dec 30, 2011
Buffalo, New York
Coming to LA for the game vs Nashville from the Tuscarora Reservation in Sanborn, NY. I've never been to LA. What can I do while I'm staying there? Oh yeah btw, new Kings fan here. <3 Nolan. Thought I'd come to a game.

Captain Mittens*

Coming to LA for the game vs Nashville from the Tuscarora Reservation in Sanborn, NY. I've never been to LA. What can I do while I'm staying there? Oh yeah btw, new Kings fan here. <3 Nolan. Thought I'd come to a game.
What can you do? You can do anything but build a snowman.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Things to do in LA
Venice and see the freaks
Hollywood and see the costume freaks
Olivera street and see the tourists
Disneyland and see the lines
Almost anything you want to do anywhere you can do in the LA area even build a snowman.

Checkout Redondo/hermosa/manhattan beaches in LA or go to Huntington/Newport/Laguna Beaches in OC. Promenade at 3rd Street in Santa Monica. Malibu. Getty Center. Take the cable car to Mt San Jacinto.. they'll probably have some snow there so you can build a snow man. Or build one out of cocaine at a Hollywood house party. You can get tickets to watch a taping of a myriad of TV shows at Venice Beach usually. Or here.. http://www.1iota.com/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad