Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
any quick thoughts on my restaurant choices?

planning on going to these:

Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong
Guisados(West Hollywood)
Howlin’ Ray’s
Raffi’s Place

trueblue231930

Nov 4, 2008
Nyr lak

NYR fan here in peace. I'm in the process of booking a flight to hit up all 3 California games in March.

If anyone is selling the NYR game on Saturday March 25th please PM me or text me 516-666-2237.

thanks in advance,

Jason

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Whats a decent neighborhood to live in, somewhat nearish to LAX? My parent are getting transferred to work on project going on down ther.

Anything between LAX and the coast North or South...:laugh:

But dat Canadian exchange is gonna suck right now.:help:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Anything between LAX and the coast North or South...:laugh:

But dat Canadian exchange is gonna suck right now.:help:

Thanks. My dad will end up getting paid in american dollars, part the reason they want to take the job is that exchange rate. Saving up some money in american is huge as in 2-4 years they will retire and want to spend lots of time in the warm american south during the winter :laugh:

vallu12

Jun 17, 2014
Suami
Three guys from Finland coming to LA this weekend. Can anyone say that where is the best place search other hockey fan products than Kings and Ducks? Like Blackhawks and Red wings stuff. Is it Locker Room by lids or something else?

We also take good restaurant hints!

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Three guys from Finland coming to LA this weekend. Can anyone say that where is the best place search other hockey fan products than Kings and Ducks? Like Blackhawks and Red wings stuff. Is it Locker Room by lids or something else?

We also take good restaurant hints!
Don't know where you are staying but Dicks sporting sometimes has other teams. Kings store has some stuff. Ducks store has more, also costs more.

This thread is full of places to eat.
You have to try Mexican at least once. There are many good places, just ask anyone where you are staying. Avoid pseudo Mexican food. (Taco bell) Also don't be afraid to ask for a "to go box " at any type of restaurant. you will be served HUGE plates of food. it is not rude to take some for lunch the next day.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Bruins fan here...

Looking at going at Kings/Ducks games in February and wondering about area to stay in to get to both games fairly easily...I wouldn't have a car

Many thanks!

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
No car, eh? Makes it a bit tough. The Metro Rail's Orange Line connects Downtown LA to Anaheim - you could bus it from there (or Uber / Lyft). Perhaps stay in Downtown LA, especially if you are coming in via LAX, rather than trying to pick a spot in the middle near the railway (those areas aren't too appealing).

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
No car, eh? Makes it a bit tough. The Metro Rail's Orange Line connects Downtown LA to Anaheim - you could bus it from there (or Uber / Lyft). Perhaps stay in Downtown LA, especially if you are coming in via LAX, rather than trying to pick a spot in the middle near the railway (those areas aren't too appealing).
Ducks game is a 730 start so figure 1030 ending. There is an 11:10 train to LA. The station is real close so as long as you go quickly you should be ok. You don't want to miss it because then you will be better off staying in Anaheim. I think this is Amtrak/surfliner. In the daytime take metro link to save a little money.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
No idea if this is in the right place so feel free to move. Does anyone know which hotel the LA Kings use whilst they are in Montréal ? I really want to try and get my shirt signed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan

Ahh...ok...many thanks!

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Ducks game is a 730 start so figure 1030 ending. There is an 11:10 train to LA. The station is real close so as long as you go quickly you should be ok. You don't want to miss it because then you will be better off staying in Anaheim. I think this is Amtrak/surfliner. In the daytime take metro link to save a little money.

Thanks for the info...appreciate it!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Let me start off by apologizing for the likely length of this post, but I'll try to keep it compact. I'm very interested in moving out to SoCal, on a temporary basis to start. I recently lived in NYC for a few months and would like to do the same in the LA area to figure out which part of the country I'm most interested in settling down at. Moving to NYC was pretty simple from the standpoint of you can pretty quickly find a short term sublet in the city (which I did on Craigslist a couple of times) and bam you're there. With a $115 and a metrocard, your transportation is taken care of. Despite being a big city with a huge population, NYC is rather small and as a result quick and easy to navigate thanks to the subway system. I've never been to LA, but I'm assuming it is much different in that aspect.

How realistic is it to head out West without a vehicle and if so, what areas would you recommend? Are short term sublets fairly popular or would it be a difficult time in finding housing? How much would I expect to pay in rent (with roommates?) Is travel impossible without a car? I'm sure I have a lot more questions, but this will do to start.

Thanks and I appreciate any responses.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
My dad won the Sirius XM NHL all star giveaway for airfare, hotel and two tickets to skills competition and game... where do you recommend checking out for sites during the day? And what restaurants?

And most importantly I play a lot of poker, how far is the Commerce and bike from staples center ? And which one would be more busy on a Friday and Saturday night?

Thanks

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
My dad won the Sirius XM NHL all star giveaway for airfare, hotel and two tickets to skills competition and game... where do you recommend checking out for sites during the day? And what restaurants?

And most importantly I play a lot of poker, how far is the Commerce and bike from staples center ? And which one would be more busy on a Friday and Saturday night?

Thanks
Congratulations
I won that for the Dallas all star game. ( it was just Sirius that year)
I have never been to Commerce and Bike but it is about 20 minutes driving from Staples with no traffic.

Don't know where you are staying but if near Staples I suggest taking the subway to union station. See old downtown LA and walk to Phillipes for the. "Original" French dip sandwich.
Or Drive to Venice Beach and see the weirdos.
Food is everywhere in LA and most of it is good.

Last edited:

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Hey HFKings. I'm a Winnipeg-er coming to SoCal and would like to attend the Mar. 4th game vs. the Canucks. I've never been to Staples before and it's on my bucket list of venues to check out.

Do you guys have a ticketexchange on here? Any tips on the best way for me to go about getting tickets?Do you guys use Stubhub a lot?
Are the suites worth it?
What's the best bang for your buck at Staples?

Any other tips for an out-of-towner are appreciated. If there's another thread you can point me to, that would be great too.

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
Hey HFKings. I'm a Winnipeg-er coming to SoCal and would like to attend the Mar. 4th game vs. the Canucks. I've never been to Staples before and it's on my bucket list of venues to check out.

Do you guys have a ticketexchange on here? Any tips on the best way for me to go about getting tickets?Do you guys use Stubhub a lot?
Are the suites worth it?
What's the best bang for your buck at Staples?

Any other tips for an out-of-towner are appreciated. If there's another thread you can point me to, that would be great too.
It depends on how many people are in your group. If 4 or less stub hub is an ok choice. You can get premier seats in sections 7-12 for about 100.00. This is a good location near the visitor shoot twice but VIP entrance, with in seat service. Lakers fans buy all event tickets and sell the hockey ones. You can get cheaper tickets but then you have to sit with us riff raff.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I will be in L.A. 2nd week of February, (staying in Silver Lake but will have access to a car) unfortunately there are no games to check out, but my main question was, I am not familiar with any craft beers in that area. What beers should I be looking out for. I'm not picky and love it all from ipa's to stouts ect just as long as it's not made/manufactured by any of the "big" companies cuz I can get those any time anywhere!

Also, anyone can let me know of any local bars that have punkrock/metal shows that would be awesome too! I'm not talking about house of blues type venues, more like DIY kinda shows.

thanks in advanced!

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
It depends on how many people are in your group. If 4 or less stub hub is an ok choice. You can get premier seats in sections 7-12 for about 100.00. This is a good location near the visitor shoot twice but VIP entrance, with in seat service. Lakers fans buy all event tickets and sell the hockey ones. You can get cheaper tickets but then you have to sit with us riff raff.

Thx onlyalad. There are five of us. I'm a Season Seat holder with the Jets and I'm in the nosebleeds for that...I guess I'm already part of the riff raff. So, I may have to get seats near you... :yo:

I'll probably check Stubhub the morning of the event and see what's available.

Also, do you guys have visiting team holds that get released the day of the game? We always have 60-70 tickets for Jets games that get released 3 (or so) hours before puck drop.

Jawafa

Jul 30, 2007
Manitoba
Im flying into LA and get to spend a very small amount of time there before driving south the San diego to meet up with a group, id like to see as much of the city as i can over the course of the morning even just passing through. Can anyone recommend a route or the main things worth seeing? Ive got about 6 hours to spend and the drive takes about 2 i figure? Its a Sunday morning so traffic shouldn't be too bad.

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
Im flying into LA and get to spend a very small amount of time there before driving south the San diego to meet up with a group, id like to see as much of the city as i can over the course of the morning even just passing through. Can anyone recommend a route or the main things worth seeing? Ive got about 6 hours to spend and the drive takes about 2 i figure? Its a Sunday morning so traffic shouldn't be too bad.
I will suggest Hollywood and Highland. You can see the walk of fame , manns chinese theater, the Hollywood sign, some LA style weirdos all in one place.
Give yourself plenty of time to drive. The 5 gets heavy on Sunday in south Orange County.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sirius sent me my tickets and they are located in section PR18, row 7. Are these good seats ? Not having any luck using interactive seating charts.

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
Sirius sent me my tickets and they are located in section PR18, row 7. Are these good seats ? Not having any luck using interactive seating charts.

The are good seats. In seat food/drink service, VIP entrance, near the corner. You are above the lower bowl but below the suites. You have access to fancy food and shorter lines for everything. You may be sitting with a bunch of suits/sponsors. Your are facing the bench side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad