Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

Downtown is centrally located to just about everything (Hollywood, Santa Monica, the Airport etc). There are a lot of fairly nice hotels downtown if you choose to stay there. The one I would recommend against is the Standard. It is a s****y (I can't believe this is censored - think trendy) hotel and people party all hours of the night there and they have very odd rooms where anybody can see who is in the bathroom or showering. Not very family friendly.

Millenium Biltmore is probably the nicest. The Westin Bonaventure is pretty nice and has lots of food options inside. The Wilshire Grand is pretty nice. These are all going to cost you a lot more than other tourist spots but if your company is paying who cares.. right?

GoKings57

Aug 3, 2005
Camarillo, CA
If you're looking for something a little different, there are two Presidential Libraries and Museums in the LA area - the Nixon Library is in Yorba Linda, and the Reagan Library is in Simi Valley.

If you want to visit either the Reagan or the Nixon, shoot me a PM and I'll have tickets waiting for you at the Admissions Desk(s).

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Downtown is centrally located to just about everything (Hollywood, Santa Monica, the Airport etc). There are a lot of fairly nice hotels downtown if you choose to stay there. The one I would recommend against is the Standard. It is a s****y (I can't believe this is censored - think trendy) hotel and people party all hours of the night there and they have very odd rooms where anybody can see who is in the bathroom or showering. Not very family friendly.

Millenium Biltmore is probably the nicest. The Westin Bonaventure is pretty nice and has lots of food options inside. The Wilshire Grand is pretty nice. These are all going to cost you a lot more than other tourist spots but if your company is paying who cares.. right?

Should be. It's owned by Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz after all.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Pretty much everything has been suggested. Definitely check out the beaches, though. Don't know the age of your child in regards to visiting places like the Getty.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
if you take JDM's advice and you like sushi and are willing to drop some coin, [Sushi] Nozawa is the place to be. omakase or bust. if you're not quite the connoisseur(sp), there's plenty of other decent priced places in the sushi capital of the US.

This place is the closest you will ever come to eating in a restaurant where the owner of the place is just like the soup nazi on that old Seinfeld episode. The owner will scold you, really scold you, for diping your rice (instead of the fish) in soy sauce. You order something you like, he says "NO, you eat this." I've seen him kick people out who he didnt like. ("No sushi for you.")

We haven't called it Sushi Nozawa in ages. Its Sushi Nazi. :yo:

Captain Mittens*

Pretty much everything has been suggested. Definitely check out the beaches, though. Don't know the age of your child in regards to visiting places like the Getty.

This

I recommend the OC beaches over the LA ones. I think Huntington Beach is the best all around. Be sure to check out Main Street in Huntington Beach

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I recommend the Long Beach Aquarium Of The Pacific. Long Beach also has several other destinations such as The Queen Mary.

Also, if you do go to Disneyland, it's actually two parks now. Although the other side, California Adventure, is very small, it has several rides that are much more cutting edge in technology than anything on the Magical Kingdom side. If you plan to stay the whole day there, buy a pass for both.

- R

jeffbrown

Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Coming to a Kings game

Hi all,

Coming to a Kings game (Nov 10 vs Vancouver to be exact). I'm from Toronto, so I have no vested interest in either team :) Just coming out to enjoy a game.

Any recommendations from you locals as to pre/post game places to eat/drink? Near Staples would be great.

If there's an old thread for this, please point me over there.

Thanks guys!

PS-Actually going to Anaheim the night after too for the Ducks/Canucks game too...any recommendations there? Wow, so great to have two teams in the same "city".

Fropitar

Jul 4, 2009
So.Cal
You'll probably stick to LA Live for pre/post gsme eating/entertainment. It's right across the street from staples. As for the Honds center, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Honda center is laid in more of a suburban area, you'll find something with out a problem.

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for whether it be convenience, price or a particular type of food but you can find everything in DTLA here...

http://www.downtownla.com/

I'm not much of a fan of LA live. It is convenient but most of the stuff there is either way overpriced or stuff you can find other places like Yardhouse, Wolfgang Puck's etc.

Right near Staples is an El Cholo which has pretty good Mexican food although some Mexicans might not agree. Most of us non-Mexicans like it. Good margaritas too.

A place I like to go to that is about 4 or 5 blocks from Staples is called Big Wangs. It is an affordable sports bar with pretty good wings. The Dublin's on the 7th between Fig/Flower is pretty cheap watering hole.

A fancier restaurant I'd recommend is Roy's Hawaiian on Figueroa and 8th (about 3 blocks from Staples).

Bottega Louie is a decent italian restaurant but that is a bit further. If you go there and you like Whisky maybe go across the street the Seven Grand (corner of 7th/Grand) which is a Whisky bar. They have a pretty extensive list of all types of whisky/whiskey.

If you are looking for a trendy bar with a sweet view, there is a new place called Perch up off 5th and Grand. It is pretty cool but the drinks can be expensive ($8 for a beer but they only served Kronenburg and Fischer when I was there).

You options are basically LA Live, El Cholo or Hooters right next to Staples or you got to walk a few blocks or take the Dash for $0.50. The "F" will take you up and down Fig/Flower:

http://www.dtdash.com/

Oh and if you want some cheap mexican food, check out one of these two places:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dannys-tacos-los-angeles (the first review even mentions post Kings games.. I park right there and have been a few times - this is a truck on the corner of the street, not a restaurant)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fernandos-taco-inn-los-angeles (this place is at a car wash across the street from LA Live but it is friggin good)

I love this dive bar if that is your sort of thing...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/back-door-pub-at-the-milner-hotel-los-angeles

the Golden Gopher is another place that is a pretty mellow watering hole:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/golden-gopher-los-angeles

Last edited:

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Hooters is now open at the other end of Staples Center. Soon (end of the year?) there will be a Knights Restaurant there as well. Think Medieval Times without the show.

Kingurentai

Jul 19, 2010
Sunny afternoon. Bike ride from Manhattan to Redondo. Pretty much free hooters everywhere. Great bars too.

jonrazor12

Palffy for President
Oct 20, 2009
Go to stout in hollywood for the best burger. If going to a game at staples then la live has a few good options. Stout is something that is unique enough to go out of your way for.

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
Not sure where I should put this so here goes. I have 2 seats in 334 Row 11 for both preseason games. $20 each pair. Thanks

proxomat

Jun 28, 2011
Europe
Too late for me. I just bought 2 tickets, section 111 row 5 for $65 each (Anaheim at Kings game).
My wife and I go for the first time at a NHL hockey game.
We are from Europe, on vacation for some weeks in California.
Maybe I'll try some of your suggestions.

Is it easy to find a parking for my car? I mean, without having to pay $20 parking fee.

Too late for me. I just bought 2 tickets, section 111 row 5 for $65 each (Anaheim at Kings game).
My wife and I go for the first time at a NHL hockey game.
We are from Europe, on vacation for some weeks in California.
Maybe I'll try some of your suggestions.

Is it easy to find a parking for my car? I mean, without having to pay $20 parking fee.

There are lots for $5 but you have to walk about 2-3 blocks to get to the arena. There is one on Grand/Olympic. or depending on the day you can find free parking on the street. You don't have to feed the meters after 6pm and you can find spots on Hope, Grand and even Olive between olympic and 12th street. You don't need to put money in the meters all day on Sundays either. Saturday afternoon you won't be able to park on the street because you can only park at the meters for 2 hours. Hope that helps.

proxomat

Jun 28, 2011
Europe
There are lots for $5 but you have to walk about 2-3 blocks to get to the arena. There is one on Grand/Olympic. or depending on the day you can find free parking on the street. You don't have to feed the meters after 6pm and you can find spots on Hope, Grand and even Olive between olympic and 12th street. You don't need to put money in the meters all day on Sundays either. Saturday afternoon you won't be able to park on the street because you can only park at the meters for 2 hours. Hope that helps.

yeah, thanks a lot. We can't wait to see the game.
I like hockey very much and the Kings as well.
Hopefully, i'll see most of the top players.
I don't like the Flyboys and it will be strange to see Richards and Gagne in a Kings uniform. But i think, this will be a great season for the Kings, when all players stay healthy.

hanrahan

Sep 13, 2007
had enough the life here in finland so i sold my house and guit my job. coming to america in november to watch nhl games and snowboard. starting from la, then to sj and then to edm propably...or that's what i've been planning.
-any hints on snowboarding/where should i go??
-any (trance/techno) clubs in la?
:help:

had enough the life here in finland so i sold my house and guit my job. coming to america in november to watch nhl games and snowboard. starting from la, then to sj and then to edm propably...or that's what i've been planning.
-any hints on snowboarding/where should i go??
-any (trance/techno) clubs in la?
:help:

Can't help you with the electronic music.

Snowboarding:

In So Cal, I would recommend only one place and that place is ONLY good if you go right after a big storm. That place would be Mt. Baldy. It is a hidden gem. Old rickety lifts. They have about 4 of them and after a storm it takes them some time to dig out. But once you get up on the mountain, you'll be able to find all kinds of untracked powder and the best terrain in So Cal. Mt. High and Big Bear are sufficient resorts to ride but nothing to write home about.

http://mtbaldy.com/

Personally, I'd skip So Cal snowboarding unless you can find a good day to hit Baldy. Go to Mammoth Mountain and/or June Mountain in the Eastern Sierras. Mammoth is a huge mountain and has like 30 chair lifts. June Mountain is smaller but usually less crowded. Finally, I've never been but Tahoe is pretty much the pinnacle of ski/snowboarding in California. That is way up north but if you are going to hit some snowboard spots in California, do Mammoth and one of the Tahoe resorts.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some really sweet spots up in Alberta. Good luck and be safe!

hanrahan

Sep 13, 2007
mucho gracias for the help bro <3:yo: will be traveling alone so the luck is needed.

proxomat

Jun 28, 2011
Europe
Hi Guys,

one more question about my visit to the Staples Center tonight.
Can I bring my professional camera into the stadium?
Or those cameras are not allowed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad