Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates II

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I had some Southwest travel funds I needed to spend and use by the 18th of this month. So I'll be visiting Nashville this weekend. It'll be my third time to your city and I look forward to enjoying it again. The only thing I've got on my list to go to is Dino's in East Nashville.
It will be different but it has opened up some so I don't think the trip will be disappointing. Glad to have you!

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
It will be different but it has opened up some so I don't think the trip will be disappointing. Glad to have you!

But I'm a Penguins fan.

Anyway, I'm staying near 19th and Broadway. I plan on avoiding "downtown" Broadway like I have been for the past visits. Anywhere else I should avoid?

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
But I'm a Penguins fan.

Anyway, I'm staying near 19th and Broadway. I plan on avoiding "downtown" Broadway like I have been for the past visits. Anywhere else I should avoid?
As long as we aren't playing you that's okay with me. Ha!

I don't know about avoiding due to the touristy nature, but one area you might want to venture over to is East Nashville. There are some terrific little restaurants over there that could use an influx of cash. Of any of them, stay away from Battered and Fried--Boston theme, you might not like that. Good fish, though.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My flight gets in tonight at 8:35 so I won't be doing much other than eating near the hotel (near 19th and Broadway). Each day I'm hoping to get up early to exercise and get some breakfast. Then I'll be adventuring throughout the city.

Friday and Saturday are really the only days I have planned. Friday is the Gulch and Saturday is me walking from the hotel to East Nashville to get a burger at Dino's (making stops along the way). Yes, I know that's a far walk but when I took a stay-cation here in Pittsburgh in November I think I ended up walking 10 miles one day. I plan on being done with adventuring by late afternoon each day. Pre-Rona I was never really comfortable with crowds and even less so now. :laugh:

Sunday I'm still figuring out. Monday I want to go to Jack Brown's and Bearded Iris. Then I go home late Monday.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My flight gets in tonight at 8:35 so I won't be doing much other than eating near the hotel (near 19th and Broadway). Each day I'm hoping to get up early to exercise and get some breakfast. Then I'll be adventuring throughout the city.

Friday and Saturday are really the only days I have planned. Friday is the Gulch and Saturday is me walking from the hotel to East Nashville to get a burger at Dino's (making stops along the way). Yes, I know that's a far walk but when I took a stay-cation here in Pittsburgh in November I think I ended up walking 10 miles one day. I plan on being done with adventuring by late afternoon each day. Pre-Rona I was never really comfortable with crowds and even less so now. :laugh:

Sunday I'm still figuring out. Monday I want to go to Jack Brown's and Bearded Iris. Then I go home late Monday.
You're close to it, so be sure to walk to Centennial Park and see the Parthenon. Day or night, it's pretty stunning. For a bit of history, you can easily walk over to Elliston Place, which is both near where you are and near the park, and check out the newly reopened Soda Shop. I think it's between 21st and 22nd. It was created in 1939 and was originally next door but new owners bought the place next to it and rebuilt it from the stump up as they say, but with improvements. It just reopened yesterday after being shut down for 18 months and it looks pretty much exactly like it was, except everything is shiny instead of worn. It's well known for its milkshakes (real!) and pie. I know all about pie and it rocks!

If you like architecture, there is an old church on the Vanderbilt Campus, Scarritt Bennett Center that looks like a gothic cathedral, somewhat in miniature but big enough.

If you want the historical Nashville music experience you could go to the Bluebird Cafe. It's not what it was, because it was afforded it too much fame over the years and the owner passed a few years back, but it's still a pretty cool place. It's not really walking distance--not because of the actual walk but because of the lack of safety in getting from where you are to there.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
You're close to it, so be sure to walk to Centennial Park and see the Parthenon. Day or night, it's pretty stunning. For a bit of history, you can easily walk over to Elliston Place, which is both near where you are and near the park, and check out the newly reopened Soda Shop. I think it's between 21st and 22nd. It was created in 1939 and was originally next door but new owners bought the place next to it and rebuilt it from the stump up as they say, but with improvements. It just reopened yesterday after being shut down for 18 months and it looks pretty much exactly like it was, except everything is shiny instead of worn. It's well known for its milkshakes (real!) and pie. I know all about pie and it rocks!

If you like architecture, there is an old church on the Vanderbilt Campus, Scarritt Bennett Center that looks like a gothic cathedral, somewhat in miniature but big enough.

If you want the historical Nashville music experience you could go to the Bluebird Cafe. It's not what it was, because it was afforded it too much fame over the years and the owner passed a few years back, but it's still a pretty cool place. It's not really walking distance--not because of the actual walk but because of the lack of safety in getting from where you are to there.

Yep, Elliston Soda Shop (air conditioned) is where I plan on getting breakfast tomorrow and Monday since they open early. And I'll try to make it to the Parthenon on a run even though I've not been running for about a year (BLAH).

It'd be nice if the NHL would release their playoffs schedule so I can plan around that... Pens look to be playing on Sunday at Noon ET so I'm thinking about heading to HiFi Clyde's for it. I wouldn't mind watching the Preds v Canes either if that ever happens. I've already got my Seth Jones Preds shirt packed up.

Managed to make the 1.4 mile run:

TbKA0T5.jpg

And then I walked to Elliston Soda Shop for breakfast. After that I headed to Corkdorks to pick up some local beer. Now I'm about to head to Yee-Haw, Tennessee Brew Works, New Heights, and Jackalope. If there's still room in my stomach I'll go to Gabby's for a burger.

Currently at Yee-Haw and it’s not really my thing. Guess I’m just sticking around for one.

Had way more fun at TBW by myself. I also had time to kill so I had 10 beer samples instead of 5. This was also a place that was more apt for killing time as opposed to YEEHAW. I felt so out of place at YEEHAW.

Then I headed to New Heights as soon as it opened. Probably the best beer selection of the day. Met a nice couple there and chit chatted. Had to pour out some beers I did not care for. Then I walked to Jackalope which looked way different than 6 (?) years ago when I was there last. Had too strong of beers there and now I'm back at the hotel. At 4 PM...

Last edited:
Reactions: sparkle twin

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yep, Elliston Soda Shop (air conditioned) is where I plan on getting breakfast tomorrow and Monday since they open early. And I'll try to make it to the Parthenon on a run even though I've not been running for about a year (BLAH).

It'd be nice if the NHL would release their playoffs schedule so I can plan around that... Pens look to be playing on Sunday at Noon ET so I'm thinking about heading to HiFi Clyde's for it. I wouldn't mind watching the Preds v Canes either if that ever happens. I've already got my Seth Jones Preds shirt packed up.
Can't help you much but I did read on CBS Sports that Caps and Bruins on May 15 is the beginning game. I also heard a radio guy say yesterday that "no one knew when the Preds would be playing "cough Monday" so take that with a grain of salt. For Nashvillians, yeah, it was Stillman.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place, but with the Preds announcing that they are building a new ice center quite literally next door to my apartment complex :eek: I'm wondering if anyone else lives near any of the other ones. What to expect in terms of traffic, noise, etc. Sounds like there will be retail in addition to the ice center. I'm excited about hockey being so close but I kinda like my nice quiet little place.

Also... Do other NHL teams practice at these ice centers when they're in town? Can't imagine they'd come to Sumner county for it but it'd be nice to walk over from my apartment and watch the Bruins practice someday :laugh:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
@Bruinaura
I have visited Ford Ice at Hickory Hollow a number of times and I don't think it would impact you too much if any. There is plenty of parking at the site and it surrounds the rink enough that it will provide a nice buffer for you. I've never noticed there being a lot of noise outside, with the exception of one time they had a big screen outside and people could watch an NHL scrimmage that was SRO inside. And I would HOPE you'd join the fun! Blankets on the ground and all that.

There have been some nice tournaments. You might see a kid or college group from Boston. And if we ever play Boston in a summer prospect or rookie camp scrimmage game (not likely, but who knows?) it might be at one of the Ford Ice facilities. But likelihood that you'd see the current team players there is fairly slim.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
@Bruinaura
I have visited Ford Ice at Hickory Hollow a number of times and I don't think it would impact you too much if any. There is plenty of parking at the site and it surrounds the rink enough that it will provide a nice buffer for you. I've never noticed there being a lot of noise outside, with the exception of one time they had a big screen outside and people could watch an NHL scrimmage that was SRO inside. And I would HOPE you'd join the fun! Blankets on the ground and all that.

There have been some nice tournaments. You might see a kid or college group from Boston. And if we ever play Boston in a summer prospect or rookie camp scrimmage game (not likely, but who knows?) it might be at one of the Ford Ice facilities. But likelihood that you'd see the current team players there is fairly slim.
Oh, I'm sure I'll go over for different events. :) When I drove to work I noticed they still had Preds signs up in the yard where they made the announcement.

I've lived here since 2007 and the amount of homes, retail, restaurants etc they've built around here since then is crazy.

Thanks for the input! :thumbu:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hey, would appreciate some help from locals. We're visiting the sevierville/Gatlinburg area for the second time in July and was wondering if there are some places/things to do that are maybe not on most tourist's lists. We have a couple of younger kids (16 months, 6 yrs) so it has to be at least kid accessible and we're not averse to a bit of a car trip once we're there. We plan on revisiting some of the shine and booze shops, a few of the hiking trails, and the aquarium again. Would love some food options, though the wife is a pescatarian. Unfortunately that killed some of the BBQ options I had initially hoped for last time we were down.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Hey, would appreciate some help from locals. We're visiting the sevierville/Gatlinburg area for the second time in July and was wondering if there are some places/things to do that are maybe not on most tourist's lists. We have a couple of younger kids (16 months, 6 yrs) so it has to be at least kid accessible and we're not averse to a bit of a car trip once we're there. We plan on revisiting some of the shine and booze shops, a few of the hiking trails, and the aquarium again. Would love some food options, though the wife is a pescatarian. Unfortunately that killed some of the BBQ options I had initially hoped for last time we were down.

Our kids really liked the deer farm/exotic petting zoo when they were younger. (We did too) A little drive east of Sevierville away from the crowds.

Smoky Mountain Deer Farm and Horseback Riding

Reactions: Winger98

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is a little bit to your south and nearer to Chattanooga BUT if your kids are train fans this is a really cool adventure. We took our kids on it back when they were around 7 and 4 (they're both in their thirties now!) and it was a big hit. Definitely worth our drive from Nashville. It's an OLD train, and at one part of the ride you get out and watch it get turned around on a turntable. Tennessee Valley Railroad | Chattanooga & Delano Train Rides

I haven't been to Gatlinburg with or without littles in a long time so can't help you there.

Reactions: Winger98

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I am moving to knoxville next week. Any Preds fans out that way wanna get a watch party on next season?
I know there are fans in Knoxville. One duo comes to every home game! So you're bound to find some who are interested. If not, it is your duty as a Preds fan to create interest and host watch parties. My son turned a whole Japanese village into Preds fans whether they liked it or not.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I know there are fans in Knoxville. One duo comes to every home game! So you're bound to find some who are interested. If not, it is your duty as a Preds fan to create interest and host watch parties. My son turned a whole Japanese village into Preds fans whether they liked it or not.

I've managed a small infiltration in the Newcastle/Sunderland area of the UK. So anything is possible!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Whichever one of you liked my post to get me to #1700 got me to a new award. The Carolina Hurricane, which is...interesting. Thanks!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Our kids really liked the deer farm/exotic petting zoo when they were younger. (We did too) A little drive east of Sevierville away from the crowds.

Smoky Mountain Deer Farm and Horseback Riding

We made it to this! Kids loved it, my little girl got to ride a pony and I'm not sure she's going to forget it any time soon. Thank you!

Unfortunately, @Adz we didn't get to do the train, just ran out of time between the hiking, booze buying, and general touristy things.

If anyone else comes around asking about the area, I'd recommend The Fox and Parrot, Split Rail Eats, and Lil Black Bear Cafe for places to eat. And even though it is crazy expensive the aquarium is still a helluva experience. With the booze...just try it all.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
We made it to this! Kids loved it, my little girl got to ride a pony and I'm not sure she's going to forget it any time soon. Thank you!

Unfortunately, @Adz we didn't get to do the train, just ran out of time between the hiking, booze buying, and general touristy things.

If anyone else comes around asking about the area, I'd recommend The Fox and Parrot, Split Rail Eats, and Lil Black Bear Cafe for places to eat. And even though it is crazy expensive the aquarium is still a helluva experience. With the booze...just try it all.
Nice. Happy to hear they enjoyed it!

Last edited:

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
We are planning on attending the Grand Prix this weekend. Any suggestions? Maybe a good brewery? Local favorite place to eat? anything a first time visiter to Nashville should know or do?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: AintLifeGrand

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We are planning on attending the Grand Prix this weekend. Any suggestions? Maybe a good brewery? Local favorite place to eat? anything a first time visiter to Nashville should know or do?
Thanks in advance

Are you staying downtown? I’m not really familiar with the logistics of what downtown might look like this weekend but can offer some suggestions if you have a general idea of where you’ll be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad