Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates II

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My brother lives in Gallatin but yeah its gonna be fun finding a place, especially one that is anything reasonable. Haven't been to White House in several years so not sure what is going on there now. I think Springfield is up that way too although that may be a bit far North.

Prices coming from California won't look insane but being someone here its nuts right now. I live in Shelbyville ( about 30 min south of Murfreesboro) and even in the small town its going nuts. My house is a year old, moved into it brand new and $190,000 for it. 1 year later the exact same house right down the street just sold for $230,000. Pretty nuts.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, out here, if you can’t afford $450,000 or more, you’re out of luck.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, out here, if you can’t afford $450,000 or more, you’re out of luck.
Yeah I have about 4 coworkers that have all started within the last year and all are from California so I've heard the stories of prices out there. Couple of them live in Columbia, not sure where the one couple is living exactly. They just came to our shift so haven't had a chance to talk to them about that.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I grew up in Hendersonville and enjoyed growing up there for what it's worth, although it has changed a lot in the ten years since I moved out. Several of my friends have now started to move back there now that they're in their late 20's and looking to start families after having lived in Nashville proper after college. Should hopefully be getting an ice rink there in the near future and they have a well established inline hockey league. It's one of the more affluent suburbs in the area so you get the pros and cons that come with that. You'll fit in better and probably enjoy living there more if you are conservative and religious but it's not like you'll be shunned if you aren't.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Thank you so much everyone. My wife and I are scared shitless but we need a change. We picked Tennessee because we have a couple that we are close with. And we don’t just live in California, we live in south ORange County. YUCK!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Thank you so much everyone. My wife and I are scared shitless but we need a change. We picked Tennessee because we have a couple that we are close with. And we don’t just live in California, we live in south ORange County. YUCK!
Hey I say welcome but just like I tell everyone that moves here from California, just remember how your former state got to the point it did and why you picked this place. Luckily most of the ones I've talked to have no desire to change things as they are here which is a good thing.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Hey I say welcome but just like I tell everyone that moves here from California, just remember how your former state got to the point it did and why you picked this place. Luckily most of the ones I've talked to have no desire to change things as they are here which is a good thing.

yeah, we’re simple people. Want a home to build a life and a family and some quiet. It just feels like a mess constantly out here. Everything is go go go. If California were a parking lot, it’s be a Trader Joe’s one. Total hectic and fast and crazy

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
We used to live in Tennessee and now live in California. We’re in Camarillo. Absolutely love it here. Easily the nicest place we have lived with TN a strong second. People are super nice in Ventura Co so far as we have experienced. Frankly found that whole ‘Southern Hospitality’ cliche way overblown. Housing costs in TN have been bonkers for a few years now, but the pricing shouldnt be too shocking to you. Enjoy TN and the seasons!

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
We used to live in Tennessee and now live in California. We’re in Camarillo. Absolutely love it here. Easily the nicest place we have lived with TN a strong second. People are super nice in Ventura Co so far as we have experienced. Frankly found that whole ‘Southern Hospitality’ cliche way overblown. Housing costs in TN have been bonkers for a few years now, but the pricing shouldnt be too shocking to you. Enjoy TN and the seasons!

thank you! That area is beautiful. I’m excited for seasons. After growing up in the Northwest then living in CA, I miss seasons a lot

Reactions: bdub24

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Be prepared for puzzled looks and questions of why you moved here from California, especially from the locals. Non-locals tend to understand better, since they left someplace else to come here, themselves.

I lived in Hendersonville for several years and highly recommend it. Gallatin is nice, too, but even further from downtown, so keep that in mind. I'm in Mt. Juliet now and it's a lot like Hendersonville: small town feel, safe, clean and not too far from downtown. I highly recommend it, as well.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
yeah, we’re simple people. Want a home to build a life and a family and some quiet. It just feels like a mess constantly out here. Everything is go go go. If California were a parking lot, it’s be a Trader Joe’s one. Total hectic and fast and crazy
You might check out Mt. Juliet, Lebanon, and Watertown in Wilson County. The area near Gladeville (Mt. Juliet zip) is quiet -- but not too far away from everything -- and the schools are very good. My granddaughter went there for a few years.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Welcome to Tennessee!

I live in Hendersonville. It's pretty nice, there's a few greenways to walk and since we're on Old Hickory Lake, there's a lot of places to access the water.

It's pretty quiet and safe. Lots of building going on, but still space available to have a quiet family life.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Also if you’re looking I’m Hendersonville and have a cool $8 mill to spend Kelly Clarkson’s mansion is for sale.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If you don’t need to commute into Nashville every morning it’s hard to beat the Blackman area in Murfreesboro. I can be downtown in just over 30 minutes from my house and everything is cheap here. Housing prices are up just like everywhere else but it’s all relative.

Jul 12, 2007
Interesting, we kind of did the opposite. We were at March AFB, then moved to middle TN in 92.
We loved the small town places in CA - lived in Murrietta, had family in Temecula, loved to go to Julien (apple place) and Anderson’s Pea Soup. Wife is from San Diego, and even though it was sort of fancy even then, it was nothing like it is now, the old town area was really neat and laid back.
There was a lot of neat little towns that resembled TN. They may still be there, but the last 30 years of ridiculousness out there has really made it bizarro. Wouldn’t go back for anything.
They used to say that middle ÇA was rustic, but now they’re just San Berdoo et al, and same for upper CA; now they’re just OR and WA lite.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We're also thinking of taking advantage of the up real estate market to sell and move out to TN. We have family and friends in Franklin/Brentwood/Spring Hill. We may do it without a job lined up though, how's the market out that way currently? I am a librarian/have a master's, but would probably even settle for something simple/small (grocery store, etc...) as a start. We'll probably be in a spot where biggest concern is insurance as much as salary.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
We're also thinking of taking advantage of the up real estate market to sell and move out to TN. We have family and friends in Franklin/Brentwood/Spring Hill. We may do it without a job lined up though, how's the market out that way currently? I am a librarian/have a master's, but would probably even settle for something simple/small (grocery store, etc...) as a start. We'll probably be in a spot where biggest concern is insurance as much as salary.
you’ll be able to be picky with a masters around here.

the market around here is insane as it is in a lot of places. it’s craziest around 300,000 and under. there’s still a good amount of crazy in the 300,000-500,000 range but it tapers off. 1100-1400 sq foot houses are sold within 24 hours in Rutherford County and usually 5,000-10,000 over asking price. investors are buying a lot of the lower priced inventory up and driving supply even lower. if you’re buying something over 500,000 i don’t think you should have too many issues. not saying you won’t have to put offers on multiple houses but some people are giving up on buying a house that are around the $250,000 price point.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My coworker offered 15% over asking and 20% down and got beaten out by a person with 100% cash but listing price. When my daughter sold they had cash offers as well. If you can swing it, sounds like the more cash you have available the better your odds.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If you don’t need to commute into Nashville every morning it’s hard to beat the Blackman area in Murfreesboro. I can be downtown in just over 30 minutes from my house and everything is cheap here. Housing prices are up just like everywhere else but it’s all relative.
And Blackman has the best people in the state. Not to mention that cool kid that pitches for the high school...

175853343_10222652847021251_4261377051262073413_n.jpg

Reactions: LCPreds

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I had some Southwest travel funds I needed to spend and use by the 18th of this month. So I'll be visiting Nashville this weekend. It'll be my third time to your city and I look forward to enjoying it again. The only thing I've got on my list to go to is Dino's in East Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad