Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates II

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Nashville.jpg

The Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN, metropolitan statistical area in Middle Tennessee is the 38th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) in the United States[2] and the largest metropolitan area in the state of Tennessee.

The Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Columbia, TN Combined Statistical Area (CSA) is the result of the addition of the Micropolitan Statistical Area of Columbia, TN (Maury County, Tennessee) to the Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN Metropolitan Statistical Area. The estimated population of the CSA as of July 1, 2009, was 1,666,566.[1] This metropolitan statistical area includes some of Tennessee's fastest growing counties.

Colleges and Universities

Nashville is often labeled the "Athens of the South" due to the many colleges and universities in the city and metropolitan area.[42] The colleges and universities in Nashville include American Baptist College, Aquinas College, The Art Institute of Tennessee — Nashville, Belmont University, Daymar Institute, Fisk University, Free Will Baptist Bible College, Gupton College, International Academy of Design and Technology, Lipscomb University, Meharry Medical College, Nashville School of Law, Nashville Auto Diesel College[43] (a NAFTC Training Center), Nashville State Community College, Strayer University, Tennessee State University, Trevecca Nazarene University, University of Phoenix, Vanderbilt University, and Watkins College of Art, Design & Film.

Within 30 miles (48 km) of Nashville in Murfreesboro is Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU), a full-sized public university with Tennessee's largest undergraduate population. Enrollment in post-secondary education in Nashville is around 43,000. Within the Nashville Metropolitan Statistical Area—which includes MTSU, Cumberland University (Lebanon), Volunteer State Community College (Gallatin), Daymar Institute, and O'More College of Design (Franklin)—total enrollment exceeds 74,000. Within a 40 miles (64 km) radius are Austin Peay State University (Clarksville) and Columbia State Community College (Columbia), enrolling an additional 13,600.

Nashville has many professional sports teams, most notably the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League and the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League. Several other pro sports teams also call Nashville home, as does the NCAA college football Music City Bowl. The Vanderbilt Commodores are members of the Southeastern Conference. The football team of Tennessee State University plays its home games at LP Field. Other Professional Sports teams include Nashville Metros, Music City Stars & Nashville Sounds

Transportation

Nashville is centrally located at the crossroads of three Interstate Highways: I-40, I-24, and I-65. Interstate 440 is a bypass route connecting I-40, I-65, and I-24 south of downtown Nashville. Briley Parkway connects the north side of the city and its interstates.

Directions

Coming to Nashville Arena from West Tennessee on I-40:
Follow Nashville signs and exit on Broadway (209B). Turn left on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right, between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from East Tennessee on I-40:
Follow I-40, take the Memphis fork, exit on Broadway (209A). Turn right on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right, between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from the South on I-65:
Stay North on I-65 to I-40 West towards Memphis, exit on Broadway 209A). Turn right on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from the East on I-24:
Follow I-40 West towards Memphis, Exit on Broadway (209A). Turn right on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your left between 6th and 5th Avenue.

Coming to Nashville Arena from the Northwest on I-24:
Follow the 265 Memphis loop, take the 40 West fork following the Nashville signs. Exit on Broadway (209A), turn left on Broadway and Nashville Arena will be on your right between 6th and 5th Avenue.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority provides bus transit within the city, out of a newly built hub station downtown. Routes utilize a hub and spoke method. Expansion plans include use of Bus rapid transit for new routes, with the possibility for local rail service at some point in the future.

Nashville is considered a gateway city for rail and air traffic for the Piedmont Atlantic MegaRegion (Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Upstate South Carolina, and Raleigh-Durham metropolitan areas..)

The city is served by Nashville International Airport, which was a hub for American Airlines between 1986 and 1995 and is now a mini-hub for Southwest Airlines.

Although it is a major rail hub, with a large CSX Transportation freight rail yard, Nashville is one of the largest cities in the U.S. not served by Amtrak.

Nashville launched a passenger commuter rail system called the Music City Star on September 18, 2006. The only currently operational leg of the system connects the city of Lebanon to downtown Nashville at the Nashville Riverfront. Legs to Murfreesboro and Gallatin are currently in the feasibility study stage. The system plan includes seven legs connecting Nashville to surrounding suburbs.

Bridgestone Arena is located in downtown Nashville, which has advantages, such as traffic, parking, and tailgating.

Within Walking Distance of Bridgestone Arena:

- The Palm - http://www.thepalm.com/sitemain.cfm?site_id=25
- http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g55229-Nashville_Tennessee.html

Hotels Near Bridgestone Arena:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearc...2|near_5|near_6|near_8|near_9|near_10|near_14

Tickets:

The Predators sell tickets at the Bridgestone Arena box office and on Ticketmaster. StubHub, Ebay, and Craigslist are your best bets for secondary market. There is also a ticket resell area for scalpers outside the arena prior to games near the South entrance.

Parking:

http://www.parkitdowntown.com/public_parking.php

Continue

ViperXX79

Aug 10, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
As an early Christmas gift, my girlfriend got us tickets to the Rangers game on Saturday. This will be my first NHL game so I'm pretty excited. I was hoping I could get some advice on where to park(preferably free) and how early should we get to the arena?

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
free parking is pretty much extinct in the Broadway area but there are some cheap alternatives.
the Nashville Public Library lot is just a few blocks away, open 24 hours and after 6:00PM and weekends is only $8.
you can also park across the river at Nissan Stadium Lot R and either walk across to Broadway or take the shuttle for $3 roundtrip.

I've done the former but never the latter.

http://www.parkitdowntown.com/parking/bridgestone-arena-event-parking

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
free parking is pretty much extinct in the Broadway area but there are some cheap alternatives.
the Nashville Public Library lot is just a few blocks away, open 24 hours and after 6:00PM and weekends is only $8.
you can also park across the river at Nissan Stadium Lot R and either walk across to Broadway or take the shuttle for $3 roundtrip.

I've done the former but never the latter.

http://www.parkitdowntown.com/parking/bridgestone-arena-event-parking

I used to do the Stadium until this year, I decided to use the STH deal and park at the Pinnacle. The Stadium is 100% free unless you take the shuttle and isn't bad unless it's like in the 20's out or raining.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Like they said, Lot R at Nissan Stadium is free, then walk across the river using the pedestrian bridge. It's not too long but it depends on the weather. Yeah, like they said I suppose.

Warm-ups usually begin 30 minutes before puck drop so around 6:30. If you want to stroll around the arena, visit the pro-shop prior to warm-ups then I'd get there around 6:00.

If you don't care about any of that, puck drop will be about 5 to 10 minutes past 7:00.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
hey guys how are you? just moved here from NYC and i love the city and the vibe is amazing.. Wanted to see if anyone can tell where is best place to pick up 1 ticket for the Preds/Rangers game on the 17th? PM if anyone has one for sale.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
Nashville trip planning

Hey all, looking for some advice. Planning a trip to nashville march 2nd to the 6th, i really want to see the rink, heard its amazing. When should i get tickets for the game? In advance or day of? Also wheres the best spot to go before and after the game for drinks? Also anything else that i have to do while there, please let me know!

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
We only have 1 game during that time. It's Saturday, the 4th. But unfortunately it's against Chicago and we have a ticket policy in effect for that game. It's a passport (season ticket holder) or credit card entry only. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure how this works.

If you really want tickets, the sooner you start trying to find them the better. You could try calling the Preds directly. I think they could work with you. Tickets may not actually be on sale yet anyway.

As far as bars around the arena, there are tons of bars just down Broadway. You can bar-hop or stay at one you like. The famous honkytonks are right there.

If you're free during the days, there are a few museums (country music hall of fame (it's worth it even if you don't like country music), frist art, johnny cash). You could spend one day just walking around going to the souvenir shops and stores around the area. The Ryman Auditorium is right there as well.

You could cab/uber/lyft to some other places like Opryland Hotel, Parthenon.

Plenty of options, it just depends on what you're here for and how much free time you'll have during the day.

Original visitor thread, check the last 150 or so posts

check this post for a review from a 4 day visit for some ideas.

MrExpos

Feb 10, 2007
We only have 1 game during that time. It's Saturday, the 4th. But unfortunately it's against Chicago and we have a ticket policy in effect for that game. It's a passport (season ticket holder) or credit card entry only. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure how this works.

If you really want tickets, the sooner you start trying to find them the better. You could try calling the Preds directly. I think they could work with you. Tickets may not actually be on sale yet anyway.

As far as bars around the arena, there are tons of bars just down Broadway. You can bar-hop or stay at one you like. The famous honkytonks are right there.

If you're free during the days, there are a few museums (country music hall of fame (it's worth it even if you don't like country music), frist art, johnny cash). You could spend one day just walking around going to the souvenir shops and stores around the area. The Ryman Auditorium is right there as well.

You could cab/uber/lyft to some other places like Opryland Hotel, Parthenon.

Plenty of options, it just depends on what you're here for and how much free time you'll have during the day.

Original visitor thread, check the last 150 or so posts

check this post for a review from a 4 day visit for some ideas.

Thanks for that! Coming in from Montreal next week and I find that useful! :)

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I'd toyed with the idea of a trip down to N'ville this season, but the drive down is killer now (we're talking 11 hours or so via the 39-74-57-24 route through most of Illinois), and all flights to BNA from CWA would be through Chicago (or Detroit!). On top of that, none of the weeks I have coming up have home dates that line up with days off/vacation time.

:(

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
A group of 6 of us are coming to Nashville.

A few questions:

1. Any way to get the Detroit February 4 game tickets? Seems like only season ticket holders can get access to these, and they're about $180 USD right now on Stubhub.

2. Any ''must'' restaurants/eats or places to visit?

3. Vanderbilt Commodores Basketball - are they popular? Worth seeing?

4. How's the weather then? Any other tips/recommendations?

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Hey guys,

Wife is a big country fan... (cliche I know) but she always wanted to see Nashville. Looking at a 4-5 day trip at the end of April. Beside a show, the 2 museum (j cash and country) anything else worth seeing country wise? (downtown also of course)

Wanted to visit a nice football facility also, can you visit Nissan stadium?

Edit: Thinking of just renting a car at airport, I guess I should stay in nashville for a hotel?

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Really, the only thing you can always depend on with Nashville weather is it's changeable. We can have 74 degree weather on Christmas (like we just did) followed by weather in the teens the next week. February is a crap shoot. It will probably be on the cold side (30-40), but I'd check the weather report a few days before you head down and plan your attire then.

Commodores basketball isn't UNpopular. They have their fans and they are pretty loyal. You wouldn't be sitting in an empty building.

Lots of good restaurants--see earlier posts, particularly late in the first thread for details. I wouldn't call any of them a "Must Visit" but if you want to really do Nashville you need to try the barbecue and the hot chicken. Likewise with the attractions, just check the earlier thread, with the exception of the Parthenon--it is a MUST SEE place and I'd see it in the daytime and at night.

You will pay a lot to stay downtown for both hotel and parking. It will be more convenient if you are going to be doing everything downtown, but if price matters I'd stay in the outskirts--Airport/Donelson Pike/Elm Hill areas are decent, Brentwood/Franklin Cool Springs are pricier but good options. Just check to see if they have a shuttle that will take you downtown or take Uber, Lyft, or taxi. We have a free bus that loops so once you get downtown you can get where you need to go (see earlier in this thread for details on Music City Circuit) or you can park at Nissan Stadium and walk across the pedestrian bridge for free during games or take a shuttle from there. You can't park there all day, though.

I've only been to the stadium once and it was in use at the time. I don't know if you can get tours or not, but my guess is you can.

Hey guys,

Wife is a big country fan... (cliche I know) but she always wanted to see Nashville. Looking at a 4-5 day trip at the end of April. Beside a show, the 2 museum (j cash and country) anything else worth seeing country wise? (downtown also of course)

Edit: Thinking of just renting a car at airport, I guess I should stay in nashville for a hotel?

The Station Inn

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Hey guys,

every country music fan should see the Ryman Auditorium.

for hotels I usually find better deals out near the airport though sometimes the Hampton Inn Elliston Place over by Vanderbilt has good rates and free parking.........

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for this thread ( and part 1) looking forward to doing stuff in the city today and seeing the Habs tonight. Hopefully the rain holds off like it is predicted to.

If anyone is on the fence about catching a game at Bridgestone, you should. Nice arena, easy and close parking, easy to get around inside and the traffic leaving the arena was manageable.

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Just got back as a visiting fan, can I post my experiences ( they were universally positive)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yes.

3 beers first wouldn't hurt, but yes.

This was a trip of convenience so we did the easy as opposed to looking for better choices. It was my kids first game so drinking was decidedly restrained.

Parking: hyper variable wrt to prices. Across from the arena would have been 45 bucks for 24 hours. A three block walk it was 10 bucks ( I think it was S+P on fifth, event parking).

Pregame: lots ( most) visiting fans, I suspect because preds fans were at work. Went to the bar closest to the arena ( legends corner?). Beer was reasonable ( 5 bucks for bud/Coors, 5.50 for premium) band was good. Many Habs fans came and went, we stayed for a while.

Pregame meal: the BBQ place across Broadway. Food was passable, service was good. Don't "get" the appeal of pork loin which is prominently featured on the menu. Tip was automatically added to bill, I didn't notice and left cash and the server pointed it out when he could have said nothing and pocketed it knowing we were tourists. By the time we left 80/20 preds fans, they have drawings for 2 tickets at 630 which was cool. No chirps ( as far as I heard). Spoke to Habs fans who drove to Boston to catch a flight to Nashville. Most popular jerseys, Weber and Subban of all sorts ( habs, preds and some team Canada #6's)

Arena: there was some problem with the ticket email but it got sorted out. I don't know if we got lucky or what but getting to our seats was super easy, like less than 5 min including stopping for foam fingers for the kids and beers for the adults.

Seats: section 330 about 4 rows back. Good sight lines. Some hab fans in front some behind. A couple of mild chirps but nothing bad. Seats are comfy and steeply pitched so you dont have to look over people's heads. The PA is LOUD! The preds did a nice job with a montage for Weber. Some fans in the OT had some ( presumably) beer induced gripes but nothing completely unexpected.

Intermission concessions/ bathroom: really good likely the best I have used. Bell's amber ale on tap 10 bucks. You didn't have to rush out at the end of the period in order to get back. One bathroom ran out of paper towels but meh. I think they have WiFi but I used my carrier ( lte) which was really strong. They had a special poutine dog for the game but I never saw it and only found out about it after getting back home.

Leaving: was worried about the mass efflux of people but it was really efficient. Habs fans singing ole ole ( which I hate) which lets be honest can be a magnet for people perhaps looking for trouble, but I didnt see any. Within 10-15 minutes of leaving the arena we were back on the highway.

Other: did the Parthenon thinking I would hate it, boy was I wrong. It was really good, had to drag my daughter out of there, I think she liked it more than the game.

Weirdest thing: saw a guy with a latendresse jersey. Thought that was a strange choice then wondered if it might have been Guillaume. Can't say either way.

Overall it was a great experience, people were nice, arena is really good with sightlines and really efficient at moving people. Also there is huge value in the downtown arena. Would be a great choice for buddies weekend if you were staying downtown. Plus it was like 70 degrees in January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad