Visiting fan asking for some advice

Nov 1, 2011
So basically as I understand it, my Vancouver experience should be as follows:
1. Go to Stanley Park
2. Check out some of the many restaurants.
3. Make a trip to Whistler. I know its Canada but I have to ask, still good skiing conditions this time of year?
4. Avoid wearing my Couture jersey in Downtown Eastside.

I'd suggest as part of your Stanley Park day, rent a bike and cycle around the seawall from Stanley Park to Granville Island.

I think it was 77 Fahrenheit today just so you get an idea of temperature.

If you are adventuresome about food, there is a lot of great restaurants in Vancouver, pick carefully.

The skiing conditions in Whistler aren't great this time of year but the mountain is still open so you can do skiing, it's a nice resort town but is actually quite a long trip from Vancouver IMO.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Whistlers over rated.

For bars a couple to hit are Alibi Room for beer and Pour House for exceptional old timey cocktails.

Recommend a drive up to squamish and a stop at Howe Sound brew pub. You can also do the drive up to Whistler but go up past Whistler to Pemberton and do the back road loop all the way back down to Hope and then home to Vancouver. The scenery past Pemberton is stunning.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Truth.
Although the arena is on the outskirts of Downtown Eastside...
So it is hard to avoid.
Just don't venture in during the night.
Not that safe.

Honestly, the east side is creepy and unpleasant at night, but the chances of anything happening down there are minimal. It isn't a dangerous area by North American standards at all.

I wouldn't be too discouraged by it because some of the best spots in town are at the east end of gas town like a block from the epicentre of it all.

Phalanx

Apr 24, 2013
Aptos, Ca
Whistlers over rated.

For bars a couple to hit are Alibi Room for beer and Pour House for exceptional old timey cocktails.

Recommend a drive up to squamish and a stop at Howe Sound brew pub. You can also do the drive up to Whistler but go up past Whistler to Pemberton and do the back road loop all the way back down to Hope and then home to Vancouver. The scenery past Pemberton is stunning.

Yeah I definitely want to take the drive cuz it looks amazing. I was only going to go snowboarding if the conditions were pristine.

Phalanx

Apr 24, 2013
Aptos, Ca
I'd suggest as part of your Stanley Park day, rent a bike and cycle around the seawall from Stanley Park to Granville Island.

I think it was 77 Fahrenheit today just so you get an idea of temperature.

If you are adventuresome about food, there is a lot of great restaurants in Vancouver, pick carefully.

The skiing conditions in Whistler aren't great this time of year but the mountain is still open so you can do skiing, it's a nice resort town but is actually quite a long trip from Vancouver IMO.

If eating at eclectic restaurants were an Olympic sport, my wife would win the gold medal. She's a major foodie so she is pretty excited to look around. 77 is right about what it was here as well so that's great.

I was told earlier about Tofino. Being from California, we both surf. I'd heard about Tofino being a good surf spot. Anybody that can attest to that?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Capilano Suspension Bridge, a must visit :)
asKuJgU.jpg

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hey guys, right off the bat I want to say I come in complete peace. My wife and I decided in a spontaneous decision to get tickets for Game 5. I know absolutely nothing about Vancouver and have done basically no research. Any local spots or things to see would be greatly appreciated. So here's to Vancouver stealing one from us here in San Jose so we can go. You guys have a beautiful city and I'd love to come check it out. Cheers guys.

We are staying in downtown, we're going to have a car, and we don't have a definite time table. We'll probably stay for 6 or 7 days.

This is for next year right? :naughty:

I would probably check out Stanley Park and the Seawall. We've hit a nice patch of great weather right now so walking the Seawall (or biking/rollerblading) is a must do.

If you have a higher budget, check out Cloud 9 at the Empire Landmark Hotel on Robson for dinner. It's a little pricy but offers amazing views of Vancouver and North Vancouver.

Any trip to Vancouver must include a mini tour through historic Gastown. Don't venture too far east as you'll hit the really poor Main and Hastings area, but there's some cool pubs in Gastown that's worth checking out (Irish Heather on Carrall St., Charles Bar near Cambie).

Venture out to the False Creek area and walk into Yaletown. You can get some nice views, a very nice peaceful walk, and there are some very good restaurants in the area too.

Have fun!

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
If eating at eclectic restaurants were an Olympic sport, my wife would win the gold medal. She's a major foodie so she is pretty excited to look around. 77 is right about what it was here as well so that's great.

I was told earlier about Tofino. Being from California, we both surf. I'd heard about Tofino being a good surf spot. Anybody that can attest to that?

Tofino is the west coast spot for surfing as far as Canada goes.Personally I don't surf so I can't compare it to the NorCal/SoCal surfing scene but a google search should give you the info you need.
Tofino is on Vancouver Island so there's a ferry ride involved both ways,which can be fun for visitors,as well as a nice challenging and twisty road to get there.
If you do come to "The Island" then you really should visit Victoria which has plenty to see and do as well.

Phalanx

Apr 24, 2013
Aptos, Ca
Tofino is the west coast spot for surfing as far as Canada goes.Personally I don't surf so I can't compare it to the NorCal/SoCal surfing scene but a google search should give you the info you need.
Tofino is on Vancouver Island so there's a ferry ride involved both ways,which can be fun for visitors,as well as a nice challenging and twisty road to get there.
If you do come to "The Island" then you really should visit Victoria which has plenty to see and do as well.

I've actually been to Victoria. My wife's family lives in Seattle and we decided to take the ferry across the strait. Victoria is beautiful.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I've actually been to Victoria. My wife's family lives in Seattle and we decided to take the ferry across the strait. Victoria is beautiful.

You may be in luck when you hit town. The sun doesn't usually show itself this much this time of year.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I still hope you visit...
And it looks like you will get a refund on your tickets.
:cry:

Good news is...
You will have extra money to spend on the trip.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Honestly, the east side is creepy and unpleasant at night, but the chances of anything happening down there are minimal. It isn't a dangerous area by North American standards at all.

I wouldn't be too discouraged by it because some of the best spots in town are at the east end of gas town like a block from the epicentre of it all.

Maybe you are right...
And Vancouver is very safe in general...
Probably nothing will happen...
But I still feel like I am going to get stabbed or mugged everytime I am there.
There are just some weird people in that part of town.
I really can't find a reason to go there at night.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Maybe you are right...
And Vancouver is very safe in general...
Probably nothing will happen...
But I still feel like I am going to get stabbed or mugged everytime I am there.
There are just some weird people in that part of town.
I really can't find a reason to go there at night.

The people there are there because no where else will take them. The crime that occurs down there tend to be someone picking on someone else that's even more down and out than them. I never had much of a problem down there even before they started "gentrifying".

Phalanx

Apr 24, 2013
Aptos, Ca
Yeah, even if we do sweep you guys, that'll mean we will have plenty of time before round two starts.

And let me just say, as a Sharks fan, I know what you guys are feeling better than most. I'm sure you guys remember when we won the presidents trophy and lost in the first round to our number one rival. You guys have a good core, it'll come together for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->