Visiting Detroit? Read This Thread!

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Hey guys, obviously this is a Winter Classic question but I've never been to the Big House before. Where would be a better place to sit? Down low or higher up in the stadium?

I know I'm pretty last minute at looking for tickets. I'm already planning at staying in the Canton area and from a few posts up it seems like it's a nice place to stay in. I'll take the 30 minute drive.

tunasnacks*

Hey guys, obviously this is a Winter Classic question but I've never been to the Big House before. Where would be a better place to sit? Down low or higher up in the stadium?

I know I'm pretty last minute at looking for tickets. I'm already planning at staying in the Canton area and from a few posts up it seems like it's a nice place to stay in. I'll take the 30 minute drive.

If you aren't in the center sections and half way down or closer you probably aren't going to see much. If you're high up in a corner it will look like you're staring down at bubble hockey

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
If you aren't in the center sections and half way down or closer you probably aren't going to see much. If you're high up in a corner it will look like you're staring down at bubble hockey

Hmm well I'm in the endzone in row 28. I guess that's about 1/3 of the way up. I saw a pic from aviewfrommyseat and it looks good in a football game.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Last time I went to the Joe (and it's been a while...), the entrance to the Cobo roof was off of a side street with the whole area under construction. Can't say if that is very helpful but it's all I can give you...

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
Hey guys, I'm a huge Lions fan coming down from Toronto for the Lions and Ravens Monday night game. Any suggestions of somewhere different/interesting to eat nearby Ford Field? Thanks for any responses

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Hey guys, I'm a huge Lions fan coming down from Toronto for the Lions and Ravens Monday night game. Any suggestions of somewhere different/interesting to eat nearby Ford Field? Thanks for any responses

I like Green Dot Stables; they specialize in sliders and have an ecclectic menu with good, cheap draft beer. It's about a ten minute drive from Ford Field in corktown/mexintown area. A little off the beaten path, but safe and great atmosphere. Enjoy!

Last edited:

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
I like Green Dot Stables; they specialize in sliders and have an ecclectic menu with good, cheap draft beer. It's about a ten minute drive from Ford Field in corktown/mexintown area. A little off the beaten path, but safe and great atmosphere. Enjoy!

Hey Rabid thanks a lot. That sounds perfect. Go Lions

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
NYE in Ann Arbor

Hey guys,

First off, apologies if there is already a thread for this (or a general WC info thread). I scanned a few pages but couldn't find anything. If you need to merge it go ahead.

A bunch of friends and I are heading to the WC this year, and we're going to be in Ann Arbor for New Years Eve. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on good places to spend the night, either in terms of bars or actual New Years events. We're all in our early 20s, so ideally somewhere with an environment that would suit us. Obviously it's a college town so I'm assuming there are some good places that will be busy that night.

We'll be in the area for the night on January 1st as well, so if anyone has any recommendations on restaurants and bars in general that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Hey guys,

First off, apologies if there is already a thread for this (or a general WC info thread). I scanned a few pages but couldn't find anything. If you need to merge it go ahead.

A bunch of friends and I are heading to the WC this year, and we're going to be in Ann Arbor for New Years Eve. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on good places to spend the night, either in terms of bars or actual New Years events. We're all in our early 20s, so ideally somewhere with an environment that would suit us. Obviously it's a college town so I'm assuming there are some good places that will be busy that night.

We'll be in the area for the night on January 1st as well, so if anyone has any recommendations on restaurants and bars in general that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Club options:
Trashy fun student options Necto & Ricks (I know Necto does a NYE thing every year) Necto is on Liberty, Ricks is in the South U area. (Caters more to the college student)

Lounge options:
Melange and Rush Street are pretty good lounge places and both are on Main St. Melange serves food while Rush does not to my knowledge. Both have a place to dance if that interests you. (Like most stuff on main this caters more to the grad student up crowd).

Bars: My personal favs are Charlies (land of the long islands), Ashleys (massive beer selection), Connor O'Niels (good irish pub down on Main), Blue Lep (on South U, not the fastest service but pretty good food).

Nicer Restaurants: The Earle (Beef tenderloin is to die for), Grizzley Peak, Real Seafood

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Club options:
Trashy fun student options Necto & Ricks (I know Necto does a NYE thing every year) Necto is on Liberty, Ricks is in the South U area. (Caters more to the college student)

Lounge options:
Melange and Rush Street are pretty good lounge places and both are on Main St. Melange serves food while Rush does not to my knowledge. Both have a place to dance if that interests you. (Like most stuff on main this caters more to the grad student up crowd).

Bars: My personal favs are Charlies (land of the long islands), Ashleys (massive beer selection), Connor O'Niels (good irish pub down on Main), Blue Lep (on South U, not the fastest service but pretty good food).

Nicer Restaurants: The Earle (Beef tenderloin is to die for), Grizzley Peak, Real Seafood
This is great, thanks man!

HabstuckinTO

Oct 3, 2005
Toronto
Where to stay near The Joe

Hi Wings fans. Thinking of heading to Detroit to see the Wings play the Habs on Jan 24. Would appreciate any advice on where to stay near the Joe. Just my wife and I so somewhere near the rink, drinks after, maybe breakfast in the am, dinner if we stay 2 nights? Would much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any info.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Hi Wings fans. Thinking of heading to Detroit to see the Wings play the Habs on Jan 24. Would appreciate any advice on where to stay near the Joe. Just my wife and I so somewhere near the rink, drinks after, maybe breakfast in the am, dinner if we stay 2 nights? Would much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any info.

There's not much near the Joe to walk to. If you stay in Greek town there's loads of bars and restaurants. The people mover, our stellar public transit monorail, has multiple stops in the area as well. It costs 75 cents per ride and will take you right to the Joe. It's easy to use as it only goes in one big circle. There's bars with free shuttles to the game in the area as well, Old Shillelagh and Hockeytown cafe come to mind. Hockeytown is a rip off and should otherwise be avoided. Firebird Tavern is a good place to eat and drink in the area; lots of people go to Slows BBQ in Corktown (10 minute drive). I always steer people to Green dot Stables (5 minute drive), the have an awesome slider/small plate menu and cheap, quality draft beers. It's in the middle of no where but a great spot.

Hope that helps.

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
Moving to Windsor later in the year and was wondering the cost of tickets? Being a broke university student does not leave much in my budget for recration but I was hoping to attend a lot of Lightning / Wings games, and any Lions games possible that I can afford! Also, is it okay to wear my Lightning Jersey during games? Being that Tampa and Detroit are in the same division..

Aug 6, 2012
Moving to Windsor later in the year and was wondering the cost of tickets? Being a broke university student does not leave much in my budget for recration but I was hoping to attend a lot of Lightning / Wings games, and any Lions games possible that I can afford! Also, is it okay to wear my Lightning Jersey during games? Being that Tampa and Detroit are in the same division..

Tickets aren't too bad... I'm in the same boat and been able to attend quite a few games recently. Depending on the game you can get some cheap tickets in the upper bowl, and most seats at the joe are good. You won't get much **** for wearing a Tampa jersey unless you bring it on yourself... partly because its tampa but also because Wings fans aren't very hostile.

CoffeeKristin

Sep 25, 2014
I'm taking my daughter to the Blackhawks game tonight and we're getting there early, so I thought I'd see if we can get some Hawks autographs before the game (yes, I fail as a Wings fan; I'm raising a Hawks fan!) Does anyone know what time the buses from the hotel arrive? Or we could go to their hotel, but do they still stay at the Athenium? We usually park at Greektown and eat at Fishbones, so that might be the easiest thing to do depending on when they leave for the Joe.

Since we'll be there early, I want to be at the Joe when it opens. Do they still let you in around 6:00 or is it earlier when it's an 7:30 game? We've only been to the Wednesday night rivalry games.

Any suggestions to get my daughter close to the players would be great.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
Haven't seen it posted, maybe I missed it:

When I return to Detroit, friends and family will gather at http://www.cadieuxcafe.com/location/ for an evening of Feather Bowling, beers, and burgers. It's actually really fun. Apparently it's the only place in N.A. With feather bowling.

My brothers rugby team used to go after every match.

Lower east side, cadieux, 1 mile south of 94.

If you're a group coming in from Toronto for a game, this is for you.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Haven't seen it posted, maybe I missed it:

When I return to Detroit, friends and family will gather at http://www.cadieuxcafe.com/location/ for an evening of Feather Bowling, beers, and burgers. It's actually really fun. Apparently it's the only place in N.A. With feather bowling.

My brothers rugby team used to go after every match.

Lower east side, cadieux, 1 mile south of 94.

If you're a group coming in from Toronto for a game, this is for you.

I think I've mentioned it elsewhere on the board, but yeah, good spot. I'm going to be in town next weekend, might try to go there during the day, before going to the Wings game.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
As part of my tour of the US and Canada next Month, I had to stop over in Detroit to catch a game. Will be watching the Canadiens taking on the Red Wings and be in Detroit on Nov 14/15/16.

Will be staying at Westin Book Cadillac and other than the Hockey game, haven't really looked into good places to eat/what to do.

Any locals got some ideas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->