Visiting Detroit? Read This Thread!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Get merch from any reputable seller that is not at the rink. They know you are a captive audience there so it will be marked up like nuts.

Unless you are looking for some rink specific item (There are not many, but there are some), it is always more cost efficient to buy online or from a reputable dealer.

For the kind of hat that you'd probably be looking at, there is no reason that Lids or any sporting goods store or whatever wouldn't have it.

I say reputable because you could go to like Alibaba or Ebay or something and get a cheap knockoff as opposed to licensed gear.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I am not sure but I don't think any games sell out anymore do they?

I don't have any experience with the Wings specifically in this regard, but several other franchises. "Sold out" games usually have tickets released right before the game at the box office. But they are often the expensive lower level seats.

It's always a gamble. You have to physically go to the game without a ticket and hope they get something that fits your budget. To show you how fickle it is, the couple in front of me got priced around $450 a ticket for Rangers playoff games. I walked to the window, feeling no hope, but scored $145 tickets in a damn good section. The difference was between when the agent checked. a 45 second difference.

Anyway, I don't think this is helpful to anyone planning anything beyond spontaneous, but it happens.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Question.. Canadian fan here.. My favorite team is coming town end of march/April.. How are tickets.. If i buy them week before game is it still possible to get them or am i better off gettinf them two weeks in advance?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Question.. Canadian fan here.. My favorite team is coming town end of march/April.. How are tickets.. If i buy them week before game is it still possible to get them or am i better off gettinf them two weeks in advance?

That depends on what method's you are willing to use to procure tickets.

If you have no issue using Stubhub, you can easily find tickets two hours before puck drop.

Or you can buy them off the streets if you are feeling adventurous.

I have never purchased any Wings tickets directly through the organization, so i can't offer any advice on ticket availability.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
Tips for Visiting Fan

I'll be attending the Habs game on 4/8 and I need advice on a nice, inexpensive hotel near the Joe. Also, somewhere to go for a drink after the game. Any help is appreciated.

Kanenenights

Mar 4, 2013
Rotterdam
I'll be attending the Habs game on 4/8 and I need advice on a nice, inexpensive hotel near the Joe. Also, somewhere to go for a drink after the game. Any help is appreciated.

You can try Roberts RiverWalk Hotel and Residence Detroit.
Its on the sea side, 2 miles from the Joe

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

GreekTown then take the people mover to the arena front door

Kanenenights

Mar 4, 2013
Rotterdam
Have visited Detroit 3 times now. Will attend the last 4 game in the Joe.
After we play the Senators on Monday 3 March, have 4 days free until next game.
Have been to Detroit Zoo and Ford Museum. Anything to do in Windsor ??? or any tips :)

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Yeah downtown is getting a lot more walkable. The Joe is mostly just in an awkward spot. Its not like there are nice bars/ restaurants right across the street. Plus there are some spots you wouldn't want to walk to from the Joe like Corktown, which someone visiting might not really know.

This is one of the biggest changes with the new arena that will benefit out of town fans... the ability to walk or QLine from the nice bars and restaurants on Woodward and Cass over by Warren to games.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm going to the wings game next Sunday but I am staying in Windsor and have never been. Should I expect anything other than a seamless, quick transit through the tunnel?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Sometimes the border agents can be dicks, especially if you are crossing the border a bunch in a short period.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Lodging is quite expensive. I'd recommend staying in the burbs and taking Uber to and from. Nemo's and Old Sheleleigh (sp?) have shuttles to and from The Joe and I think other bars do as well.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm staying at the Detroit Regency on E. Jefferson. Am I risking my life staying there?

About as much as you risk your life when you drive a car or cross the road. Be alert, like any other city. Hit up Bucharest Grill or Atwater Brewery while you're​ there.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
One more question. We arrive early and need to spend the day doing something. Any suggestions? Keep in mind neither of us have ever been to Detroit

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
One more question. We arrive early and need to spend the day doing something. Any suggestions? Keep in mind neither of us have ever been to Detroit

Henry Ford Museum/ Greenfield Village will burn an entire day. Take a drive around Belle Isle, it's a mile from where you're staying. Eat at Hop Cat or Jolly Pumpkin. Check out 3rd Man Records if you eat at either of those places. Check and see if Detroit Bus Tours is running, Punch Bowl Social, Fowling Warehouse, stroll around Greektown, find a parkind area there and take the People Mover (to the game and for a tour)..that outta keep you occupied.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad