Visiting Detroit? Read This Thread!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Hopefully they will accommodate you. At the game currently and have seen a few with tickets.

Happy to report back that they did accommodate me with paper tickets! We just got back from the box office. I basically went to the window and asked if I could get paper tickets if I bought from them. The guy kind of said that they aren’t supposed to do that, but I was wearing a Devils hoodie and explained that I’m trying to collect paper tickets. He sympathized a bit and printed them from under the counter.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Rolling into town this week for the Tool show, any recommendations for food/pizza and beer? Staying at the mgm.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Rolling into town this week for the Tool show, any recommendations for food/pizza and beer? Staying at the mgm.

Batch Brewing in Corktown has great beer and food. Mercury Burger Bar and Slow's Bbq are also in that area. There's a Buddy's Pizza downtown. Motor City Breworks and Jolly Pumpkin feature wood fire pizzas and their own beer. Hopcat is in that area area as well, they have 100 taps and passable food. Sgt. Pepperoni's in the Majestic complex is a good spot for a slice to go.

Have a good stay!

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I did Slows->Batch Brewing last summer, my dad wanted to go to Green Dot Stables, but they were packed.

Batch was good, but after Slows...so bloated, so only one beer, although I already had a couple beers a Slows, although I can't remember what I had, maybe some Oberon?

I'll rep Mi Pueblo over in Mexicantown. Seemingly everyone has their favorite place down there though. If looking for breakfast, I've been to Honest John's a couple times, they have good Fruity Pebbles French toast.

Problem for me, is that my dad is always like "oh, this place is good, this one is good..,", and there's only so much time and money when visiting. One of these days, I want to go to the Grey Ghost, as he's talked about there and the Selden Standard.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I did Slows->Batch Brewing last summer, my dad wanted to go to Green Dot Stables, but they were packed.

Batch was good, but after Slows...so bloated, so only one beer, although I already had a couple beers a Slows, although I can't remember what I had, maybe some Oberon?

I'll rep Mi Pueblo over in Mexicantown. Seemingly everyone has their favorite place down there though. If looking for breakfast, I've been to Honest John's a couple times, they have good Fruity Pebbles French toast.

Problem for me, is that my dad is always like "oh, this place is good, this one is good..,", and there's only so much time and money when visiting. One of these days, I want to go to the Grey Ghost, as he's talked about there and the Selden Standard.

Went to the Grey Ghost a while ago with the GF. Couldn't get a table, so we ate at the bar. Great food, great atmosphere. The only "problem"was the bartender (said he was part owner) kept looking down the top of my GF's dress lol. Not really a problem, and she did get us a comped dessert lol.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hi Wings fans. This is a Rangers fan coming in peace (lolol, that statement is so 2007).

I'm in town briefly next week for business and to see Mets visiting the Tigers.

As it's been a little bit since this thread was updated, what restaurants or places by Comerica/Greektown/Financial District are a must for food?

Also, any record/CD shops in the proximity of those places I mentioned above?

Thank you in advanced!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi Wings fans. This is a Rangers fan coming in peace (lolol, that statement is so 2007).

I'm in town briefly next week for business and to see Mets visiting the Tigers.

As it's been a little bit since this thread was updated, what restaurants or places by Comerica/Greektown/Financial District are a must for food?

Also, any record/CD shops in the proximity of those places I mentioned above?

Thank you in advanced!
Lafayette Coney Island for essential Detroit. Pegasus Tavern has solid Greek/Mediterranean fare.

What type of music are you looking for? There's a few shops downtown but heavy on jazz and soul. If you're into other types of music you may want to cross into Windsor or head to Rock of Ages in Garden City. Jack White's pressing plant is supposed to be worth a visit. There is a shop too.

John King Books is a 100% must if you are a reader.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Lafayette Coney Island for essential Detroit. Pegasus Tavern has solid Greek/Mediterranean fare.

What type of music are you looking for? There's a few shops downtown but heavy on jazz and soul. If you're into other types of music you may want to cross into Windsor or head to Rock of Ages in Garden City. Jack White's pressing plant is supposed to be worth a visit. There is a shop too.

John King Books is a 100% must if you are a reader.

Thank you! I'm into all kinds of music. Just looking for shops close to Greektown/Finance District/Comerica that will sell a good variety of CDs and records. Indie or Ma and Pa with an eclectic collection are always cool (like smaller versions of Amoeba in LA, Sonic Boom in Toronto, Everyday Music in Portland.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Thank you! I'm into all kinds of music. Just looking for shops close to Greektown/Finance District/Comerica that will sell a good variety of CDs and records. Indie or Ma and Pa with an eclectic collection are always cool (like smaller versions of Amoeba in LA, Sonic Boom in Toronto, Everyday Music in Portland.
3rd Man Records is your best bet. You can take the Q-line there. The Lager House has a used record store in their basement. Otherwise there isn't much else near downtown.

Reactions: Roo Returns

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Family and I might make a last minute trip to the Motor City and catch the Thursday night game against the Habs...Anyone have an opinion on sit down establishments at the LCA like 'Mikes Pizza Bar', or the UWM District Market?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
It's always in the discussion for best pizza in the area. It has the added charm of looking like it hasn't been redecorated since 1974.
Charming indeed - my family and I enjoyed the atmosphere and decor of both the restaurant and surrounding neighborhoods (well maintained older homes most likely built just before or after WW2).

Reminds me of Milwaukee and a few of the older suburbs of West Allis, Wauwatosa, and Cudahy.

Last edited:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
When purchasing Wings tickets, do we have an aggregating website that compares prices and fees for us?

In general do we have a better way of shopping around other than going through each individual site?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
When purchasing Wings tickets, do we have an aggregating website that compares prices and fees for us?

In general do we have a better way of shopping around other than going through each individual site?
Not that I am aware of.

Years ago StubHub was solid for resale tickets and their fees were minimal, but that seems to have changed.

These past few years I shop at TicketMaster resale; I've found some solid deals there.

Good luck - have fun!

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
This has probably already been answered but just in case the answer has been upgraded - If I don't want to worry about parking downtown, where can I go to park my car right outside the city and then Uber downtown?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This has probably already been answered but just in case the answer has been upgraded - If I don't want to worry about parking downtown, where can I go to park my car right outside the city and then Uber downtown?
Why would you be worried about parking downtown?

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Why would you be worried about parking downtown?
^Yup.

If it were any Wings/Pistons game I wouldn't think much of it but for the NFL Draft or any event where a bunch of roads are blocked off and I need to rely on Uber more then yeah I'd rather settle my car somewhere right outside the hubbub.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
^Yup.

If it were any Wings/Pistons game I wouldn't think much of it but for the NFL Draft or any event where a bunch of roads are blocked off and I need to rely on Uber more then yeah I'd rather settle my car somewhere right outside the hubbub.
Ahhhh, I totally blanked on the NFL draft, flew under my radar lol.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Atoadaso

Mar 27, 2019
^Yup.

Yup I’m going to see a band play tomorrow in midtown, trying to figure out what I want to do. Heard they’re charging upwards of $100 to park.

• Wow

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Best bet is probably a parking lot of a Walmart or Meijer. Lots of other cars, open late and in shopping centers where your car won't stick out and risk a tow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad