OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

STC

Oct 29, 2012
How bad is traffic during rush hour?

Coming from Halifax you're probably going to think its the worst you've ever seen in your entire life and by the end of your stay you'll question why anyone with a sane mind would subject themselves to that on a daily basis.

I recommend downloading Waze app and letting it direct you around.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Went to our first White Sox on September 2nd. Sox won. Great time at the old (new) ballpark.

Post game, went to Ricobene's for the steak sandwich - OH MY!!!

That was amazing!!!! I want to go back now.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Went to our first White Sox on September 2nd. Sox won. Great time at the old (new) ballpark.

Post game, went to Ricobene's for the steak sandwich - OH MY!!!

That was amazing!!!! I want to go back now.

Solid move on your part. Next time walk down the block to Carbon for some amazing Mexican food.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Solid move on your part. Next time walk down the block to Carbon for some amazing Mexican food.

Yep. I was super sad when they closed the Orland location as I don't want to go all the way up into the city to get one. Their steak sandwiches were something my family did about once a month when I was growing up, and it's definitely missed.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yep. I was super sad when they closed the Orland location as I don't want to go all the way up into the city to get one. Their steak sandwiches were something my family did about once a month when I was growing up, and it's definitely missed.

Same here, it still sits there unchanged too. I get choked up driving by it. Loved the steak also loved the buffalo chicken and other sandwiches too. I need to find an excuse to make it up to the downtown location.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I went once before they closed after umpiring, it ended up being like 2 weeks before it happened.

It was Game 5 of the 2013 series against Detroit.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
How would one go about recreating that steak sandwich? Just pound the **** out of a steak with a cooking mallet? What kind of steak though? And how do you get that breading right? Did they deep fry the thing? Seemed like it.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Found this:

https://turano.com/product/chicago-style-breaded-steak-sandwich/

Ingredients
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 6 sandwich steak or round steak cutlets, pounded to 1/8” thick
* Salt and pepper, to season
* 1 cup flour
* 3 eggs, whipped with 2 tbl. water
* 1 cup Turano Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
* 2 tbl. fresh rosemary, chopped (added to breadcrumbs)
* 1 ½ - 2 cups tomato basil sauce (recipe follows)
* 6 Turano French Rolls
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* 6 oz. hot or mild giardiniera

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350*F.

2. Heat oil in a 12” skillet over medium heat.

3. Warm tomato basil sauce over medium heat in a skillet.

4. Season steaks with salt and pepper, then lightly coat in flour, shaking off excess.

5. Coat steaks in egg wash, again shaking off the excess egg, then press steaks into breadcrumbs, coating completely.

6. Fry 2-3 steaks at a time in the oil for about 2 minutes per side, or until deep golden brown.

7. Dip the steaks one by one into tomato basil sauce to coat, then transfer to French rolls, folding them into a v shape.

8. Sprinkle cheese and giardiniera into the fold of the steaks, then wrap each sandwich in foil.

9. Place wrapped sandwiches in the oven. Bake for 3-5 minutes.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Nice IU, even if it turns out a little different, that still looks good. My parents would get a kick out of that, will have to make some and bring them over.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I think I'm going to try and take my son to see the Rangers in Chicago Wednesday. Ticket recommendations?

Buy on secondhand markets on game day. Tickets for weeknight games have been pretty cheap. My favorite is VividSeats but if you look on a couple different sites(StubHub, etc) you can sometimes get a hell of a deal on some really good seats rather than sitting in the 300 level.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Buy on secondhand markets on game day. Tickets for weeknight games have been pretty cheap. My favorite is VividSeats but if you look on a couple different sites(StubHub, etc) you can sometimes get a hell of a deal on some really good seats rather than sitting in the 300 level.

appreciate it!

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Went to Piece. Man, that place reminded me of New Haven. Great pizza. Best I've had in Chicago. We ordered extra so we could reheat it today. Wish I had ordered a 3rd pizza for more left overs.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
with the cold wx upon us..... man i am trying to think of warm foods to cook. i am cooking a pot of pinto beans , tonite i am undecided on chicken and dumpling or beef and noodle soup. the soup does 2 things, warm up the house and warm up the insides of the bodies.....

any one else has ideas to anything else to cook ???

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Probably not the best place to post this but I couldn't find a ticket thread: does anyone have tickets they're not using for the game against the Islanders on Saturday? Just a poor uchicago student trying to see my hometown team. Thanks!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For me, when it comes to Chicago style/Deep Dish, Lou's or Geno's is very good. I also like a place in the city called Pizano's that is right up by the bean, and a couple other locations. It's owned by the Malnatis of Pizzeria Uno fame.

Like Molnati's, but thought Pizano's was even better. Ingredient's seemed fresher. Pequod seemed to be a slight step down, though they have that cool carmelized cheese thing going on around the edges.

There was also a place that served thin crust Polish?...had some really nice, spicy pies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
ahhh crawfish season is official open. had our first seafood boil at the welcoming cent.

crawfish, freshly caught shrimp, fresh catfish, seafood boil corn on the cob, mushrooms, red potatoes and top that off with lots, lots of alcohol. what a great sat.

my family brought in the 1st of 3 bags of 50 lbs of crawfish.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
ahhh crawfish season is official open. had our first seafood boil at the welcoming cent.

crawfish, freshly caught shrimp, fresh catfish, seafood boil corn on the cob, mushrooms, red potatoes and top that off with lots, lots of alcohol. what a great sat.

my family brought in the 1st of 3 bags of 50 lbs of crawfish.

What part of LA are you from again ?

I miss crawfish and I'm only 7 hours from NOLA.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What part of LA are you from again ?

I miss crawfish and I'm only 7 hours from NOLA.
sw side of LA, lake charles area. i am surprise at the size of the craw fish. but it is early in the eating season. i am more of the shrimp kind of a person. we only brought 1 bag of 50 lbs from market basket. they were mostly alive. what was a disappointment was the crabs there were none that was worth eating. but our gathering was for close friends and families. the fish fry is also great.... plenty of cat-fish to eat.

still recovering .... ;);)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->