OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Most likely i'm never going to visit Chicago, a chance to visit (you never know though :) ), so i have to ask:

Is Chicago's legendary pizza really as good as advertised?, it's been mentioned in movies,
TV shows, etc. etc., they've even wrote songs about it, i have heard/known about Chicago's deep-dish (pan) pizza since i was a kid,
never had the pleasure to taste it though :(

What those movies don't tell you is that thin crust is what people here actually eat 90% percent of the time, and that it's way better than New York's. Deep dish is something you get once in a great while and is often described as "tourist" food.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
What those movies don't tell you is that thin crust is what people here actually eat 90% percent of the time, and that it's way better than New York's. Deep dish is something you get once in a great while and is often described as "tourist" food.
Well yeah. Nobody wants to wait 45 minutes everytime they want a pie.

Midwestern pizza as a whole is pretty damn good in comparison to the rest of the country.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hey guys Flyers fan here,
I am a season ticket member and recently my lower lever seats were absorbed in a big renovation project at the Wells Fargo center. On top of that, they are raising ticket prices across the board. I am debating keeping the new replacement seats, but only if I think I can break even on them.
I’d really like to know:
Do you have lower level season tickets?
Do you break even in regular season or with playoffs?
Would you have broken even if you went to most of the games?
Thanks! Very much appreciate it!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I am a season ticket member and recently my lower lever seats were absorbed in a big renovation project at the Wells Fargo center. On top of that, they are raising ticket prices across the board. I am debating keeping the new replacement seats, but only if I think I can break even on them.
I’d really like to know:

Only had upper levels, but @Game suspension I know for sure had lowers. He could probably explain more but when the shit hit the fan with the Hawks, he was saying it was difficult to sell them. My personal experience was if the team was good, I could sell tickets like hot cakes above face but any kind of turbulence and the market dried up fast.

And that really sucks about the renovation absorbing your seats.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Only had upper levels, but @Game suspension I know for sure had lowers. He could probably explain more but when the **** hit the fan with the Hawks, he was saying it was difficult to sell them. My personal experience was if the team was good, I could sell tickets like hot cakes above face but any kind of turbulence and the market dried up fast.

And that really sucks about the renovation absorbing your seats.
Thanks for your response. Would you say you would be able to break even or better during the dynasty years?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Thanks for your response. Would you say you would be able to break even or better during the dynasty years?

Yes, had them 08-09 to 16-17, usually sold enough to break even for the regular season but paid big bucks for the playoffs and kept those. This is a great time to get them for the Flyers and I assume you will not have much trouble. When they were in a Cup type year, I would sell them in 3-5 game packages and be pretty much done with the selling by November. I even sold a lot to people on here. Use every resource you can. Then get everyone’s email or phone and just send a mass message out to your customers when you have tickets available.

And if you catch a bad vibe in a certain year, sell playoff games for big money.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, had them 08-09 to 16-17, usually sold enough to break even for the regular season but paid big bucks for the playoffs and kept those. This is a great time to get them for the Flyers and I assume you will not have much trouble. When they were in a Cup type year, I would sell them in 3-5 game packages and be pretty much done with the selling by November. I even sold a lot to people on here. Use every resource you can. Then get everyone’s email or phone and just send a mass message out to your customers when you have tickets available.

And if you catch a bad vibe in a certain year, sell playoff games for big money.

Thanks man. Appreciate it! If I can even break even I’d love to keep them

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
I’d really like to know:

I had 100 level season tickets for 11 years during the glory years but threw the towel in at the start of this year. In that time I owned them the price of my tickets tripled and are now around $230. So over the years I went from going to most of the games to going to less and less. Basically for my wife and I to go we were dropping over $500 so it became harder to rationalize. When Crawford went down last year the secondary market went to hell so I ate a few k last year and hence let them go. The secondary market has not recovered this year and often the seats are at or below $100 a seat. So not fun for the STH's unless they can afford to drop that much $ and go to the games. Not only could I not afford it I just didn't know many people who could. It certainly wasn't the guys on my beer league team.

In the end the success of the Blackhawks helped management ratchet up the seat prices to the point now where now the secondary market is saying they are pretty massively overpriced. So I would suggest getting partners for next year to minimize your risk as coldsteel said. At first glance Flyer tickets seem much cheaper but there are still many tickets at the box office which will work against you when you need to sell them. That will change if the Flyers can turn it around. Good luck.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I had 100 level season tickets for 11 years during the glory years but threw the towel in at the start of this year. In that time I owned them the price of my tickets tripled and are now around $230. So over the years I went from going to most of the games to going to less and less. Basically for my wife and I to go we were dropping over $500 so it became harder to rationalize. When Crawford went down last year the secondary market went to hell so I ate a few k last year and hence let them go. The secondary market has not recovered this year and often the seats are at or below $100 a seat. So not fun for the STH's unless they can afford to drop that much $ and go to the games. Not only could I not afford it I just didn't know many people who could. It certainly wasn't the guys on my beer league team.

In the end the success of the Blackhawks helped management ratchet up the seat prices to the point now where now the secondary market is saying they are pretty massively overpriced. So I would suggest getting partners for next year to minimize your risk as coldsteel said. At first glance Flyer tickets seem much cheaper but there are still many tickets at the box office which will work against you when you need to sell them. That will change if the Flyers can turn it around. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Do teams lower ticket prices in the rebuild years? Clearly people aren’t going to pay 230$ for a non playoff team. Especially as you guys regroup or rebuild. Currently I am out thousands selling most tickets. And that’s been the case for several years. That’s with tickets that I payed 100$ a seat for. Some games sold for dirt cheap this last few years. Hakstol was largely to blame with horrible starts and then big finishes. You lose a lot of interest that way.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Thanks for the info. Do teams lower ticket prices in the rebuild years? Clearly people aren’t going to pay 230$ for a non playoff team. Especially as you guys regroup or rebuild. Currently I am out thousands selling most tickets. And that’s been the case for several years. That’s with tickets that I payed 100$ a seat for. Some games sold for dirt cheap this last few years. Hakstol was largely to blame with horrible starts and then big finishes. You lose a lot of interest that way.

The hawks were dumping half price tickets on game days last year. They stopped doing it this year but my guess is they will start doing it again next year or somewhere down the road. From what I understand they are not raising ticket prices next year but either way I am sure there will be an exodus of STH's. I doubt they will lower ticket prices unless there is a large exodus. Which may happen. But its more likely they will have promotions similar to other small market NHL teams selling discounted tickets to try and get people into the building to drink $10 beers. They are going to have to work harder to fill the UC next year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The hawks were dumping half price tickets on game days last year. They stopped doing it this year but my guess is they will start doing it again next year or somewhere down the road. From what I understand they are not raising ticket prices next year but either way I am sure there will be an exodus of STH's. I doubt they will lower ticket prices unless there is a large exodus. Which may happen. But its more likely they will have promotions similar to other small market NHL teams selling discounted tickets to try and get people into the building to drink $10 beers. They are going to have to work harder to fill the UC next year.

You said this last year too. You're the only one I know who dumped their ST's. :laugh:

It'll be funny once they're good again in the next couple seasons, and you're back on a list to get them again... Hopefully you don't keep an actual fan from getting them.

The absolute definition of a fair weather fan. STH during the decade that they're dominating, not before that, then dumps them as soon as things go into rebuild mode. Bravo. :clap:

Edit: @TheKingPin this guy is probably not the best person to listen to. Let's just say there's a lot of untruthful information in his posts...

He's pretty much the guy who buys season tickets to the Hawks so he can try to make a profit on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giovi

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You said this last year too. You're the only one I know who dumped their ST's. :laugh:

It'll be funny once they're good again in the next couple seasons, and you're back on a list to get them again... Hopefully you don't keep an actual fan from getting them.

The absolute definition of a fair weather fan. STH during the decade that they're dominating, not before that, then dumps them as soon as things go into rebuild mode. Bravo. :clap:

Edit: @TheKingPin this guy is probably not the best person to listen to. Let's just say there's a lot of untruthful information in his posts...

He's pretty much the guy who buys season tickets to the Hawks so he can try to make a profit on them.

The discussion is about how to spend the least amount of money to go to the most amount of games.

When they are good again, it will not be hard to get back in.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
And @Game suspension is a good resource for information on how to do that. I mean, we’d all like to buy them and keep them forever, but the secondary market is very fickle if you are relying on that to afford them in the first place.

Pretty sure much of his information that he was posting last year was proven false by other STHs, and he was basically trashing the organization about raising his prices and other assorted garbage in every single post. I guess we have a different idea of what a "good resource" is. :dunno:

Hell, he couldn't even go more than 1 post without trashing the organization in these "helpful information" posts. :laugh:

To be completely honest, I don't know if I've ever seen him post on here doing anything other than talking shit about the organization.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Pretty sure much of his information that he was posting last year was proven false by other STHs, and he was basically trashing the organization about raising his prices and other assorted garbage in every single post. I guess we have a different idea of what a "good resource" is. :dunno:

Hell, he couldn't even go more than 1 post without trashing the organization in these "helpful information" posts. :laugh:

To be completely honest, I don't know if I've ever seen him post on here doing anything other than talking **** about the organization.

That’s fair. But there is nothing wrong with trying to make money to pay for your tickets. That annoys me when it’s brought up. Hell, the way things are going with the electronic tickets, that might become difficult to do.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That’s fair. But there is nothing wrong with trying to make money to pay for your tickets. That annoys me when it’s brought up. Hell, the way things are going with the electronic tickets, that might become difficult to do.

Oh, I'm fine with that. My whole plan if I were to ever buy STs would be dependent on going to some games, selling others, and trying to break even. Then going to a few playoff games, and selling some to recoup that cost, also. I have nothing against that.

I just don't get someone who isn't a STH, then buys STs during their good times, then when a rebuild starts, they dump the STs and stop going/supporting the organization. It screams to me that someone is a fair weather fan, and only trying to profit off the quality product the organization was putting on the ice, and nothing more.

DancinLarry

Oct 3, 2013
Quick question regarding last minute tickets:

I'll be in Chicago this Friday and I'm planning to go to the game. Out there for a conference with my girlfriend, but it will just be me going. Just looking to get in (seat preferred, not standing room) to see the United Center and experience the game. Any tips on getting the best deal on a single ticket last minute? Stubhub is still pretty high right now, wasn't sure if scalping around the stadium was an option. I'm all too familiar with the risks that come with that (Rangers fan, have scalped outside the Garden before).

Thanks.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Might not work for this game with it being the last of the year and a Friday, but usually you can get in for next to nothing on Stubhub if you wait until 15-20 minutes before game time. Maybe go hang at a bar over there so you're ready to go once you see a deal you like?

DancinLarry

Oct 3, 2013
Might not work for this game with it being the last of the year and a Friday, but usually you can get in for next to nothing on Stubhub if you wait until 15-20 minutes before game time. Maybe go hang at a bar over there so you're ready to go once you see a deal you like?

Thanks, yeah I figure that is going to be my best bet. Any idea if they allow you to enter with PDF tickets on your phone instead of printing? I know at the Garden you need to have them printed, unless it is an actual mobile ticket. Not sure I'll have access to a printer/want to find one. If need be I will, but would obviously rather just download it and head in.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Thanks, yeah I figure that is going to be my best bet. Any idea if they allow you to enter with PDF tickets on your phone instead of printing? I know at the Garden you need to have them printed, unless it is an actual mobile ticket. Not sure I'll have access to a printer/want to find one. If need be I will, but would obviously rather just download it and head in.
You need to have them printed but they have the atrium right next to the arena where you can print your ticket. Just ask someone that’s working there where you can go print your ticket and they’ll direct you

Atrium at the United Center | United Center

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Hey, I'm a Hawks fan based in the UK and I'm planning a trip over to the East Coast of the US this October (likely the first 2 weeks) and i'm hoping to spend 3-4 days in Chicago and catch a game. What i wanted to get a feel for is when do the Hawks release the season/pre-season schedule, when do tickets go on sale and how hard it is to get a ticket. Cheers.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The NHL has released the regular season schedule between June 21-25 the past 4 years, with the preseason schedule usually out just before that.

October is the best time to go to a game, as that's when secondary market prices are there lowest. I would NOT recommend buying from the team when they go on sale, you'll get a much better deal buying from a season ticket holder the week of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad