OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I was looking to go to Chicago either in February or March to catch a game against the Avalanche. Looks like the official Blackhawks site doesn't list any availability for those games when I look in the calendar. I only see StubHub and VividSeats - are those pretty much my only options? We are looking for 5 tickets. Is it possible that those games are already sold out and the second hand market is my only option?

Not sold out but not all released yet.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey Guys!

My wife has a conference in Chicago at the Embassy Suites downtown at N. Columbus drive and we are trying to book a hotel. Not knowing the neighborhoods I was wondering if you could give me an idea of safer areas to look for a place to stay?

Basically, I was going to book any 3 star+ hotel east of the conference as the embassy suites is fully booked. East right to the lake should be good or is there somewhere else 4 blocks or less that is better?

Cheers

Reactions: swerdnase

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Anywhere in the downtown area is fine. Don't go south of 35th or west of Western for the most part.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I will add to eat some thin crust, too. Everyone's always all deep dish when in Chicago, and for good reason, but really good thin crust is also hard to find in most places in the country and it's really, really good here but doesn't get the pub or notoriety that deep dish gets. I'd recommend to do that, as well.

That is so true.

I live in Phoenix, but have to go to a Chicago pizza joint, Rosati's, here in town to get good pizza. They have a deep dish that weighs as much as a 3rd grader, but they have the best thin crust pizza in America. St. Louis, Imo's, is also a good thin crust pizza.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
That is so true.

I live in Phoenix, but have to go to a Chicago pizza joint, Rosati's, here in town to get good pizza. They have a deep dish that weighs as much as a 3rd grader, but they have the best thin crust pizza in America. St. Louis, Imo's, is also a good thin crust pizza.

That's funny. I lived in Phoenix for three years and would order Rosati's as well on occasion to get a "home" fix of thin crust. Oregano's has decent thin crust out there but it still wasn't like anything here.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Visiting home from Nov 7 - 5 Dec. Live in Cicero. Any board members live near by? How is Connie's? It used to be great for pizza.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Have any of you Chicago locals eaten at Millard Tavern? DI'd you try their "City Slicker Burger " for I believe $24..00 (per their menu which I checked on their website)...I think I read that this burger which includes Foie Gras in it among other items was voted best in Chicago by some contest or food critic survey..but this place is one of the 2 offshoots of the restaurant team of the popular Italian restaurant Piccolo Sign (one of Tracey Myers favourite places to eat in Chicago) ..so here they opened up a Tavern style restaurant featuring Burgers and other popular food s that go with the beers they serve there..

I know. .. $24.00 for a burger is rich..but still to get a foie gras delicacy as part of the ingredients that compose this burger justifies the premium price you pay for it.
However....can you survive this cholesterol attack?

Any one tried it? Comments?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Have any of you Chicago locals eaten at Millard Tavern? DI'd you try their "City Slicker Burger " for I believe $24..00 (per their menu which I checked on their website)...I think I read that this burger which includes Foie Gras in it among other items was voted best in Chicago by some contest or food critic survey..but this place is one of the 2 offshoots of the restaurant team of the popular Italian restaurant Piccolo Sign (one of Tracey Myers favourite places to eat in Chicago) ..so here they opened up a Tavern style restaurant featuring Burgers and other popular food s that go with the beers they serve there..

I know. .. $24.00 for a burger is rich..but still to get a foie gras delicacy as part of the ingredients that compose this burger justifies the premium price you pay for it.
However....can you survive this cholesterol attack?

Any one tried it? Comments?

Haven't tried it. My favorite burgers all come from Kuma's.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Hey guys - has anyone here ever sat in the Bud Light Legends Lounge? A buddy of mine was up in Chicago last week and won 2 tickets there for the 11/18 game versus the Wild, but he lives in South Carolina so he can't go. He asked me to help him sell them but I can't figure out what's included there or how to price them.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Hey everyone. I’m coming in for the Sharks game on the 16th. How’s the secondary market these days. Is it recommended to get tickets early or do prices on the secondary market drop the closer it gets to the game?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hey everyone. I’m coming in for the Sharks game on the 16th. How’s the secondary market these days. Is it recommended to get tickets early or do prices on the secondary market drop the closer it gets to the game?
Very soft, you should be fine waiting

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Going to be in town for the Jets game tomorrow. Any suggestions on places to go downtown that would show Winnipeg's game tonight v. Edmonton?

Thanks .:cheers:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Hello friends,

I am coming back to visit in about 1.5 months or so, just a question. Will the Blackhawks merch in the pop up store end up in the team store? I really want some of the gear in there but cannot justify an Amtrak ride for gear :laugh:

In addition to that I have an interview with the corporate section of my company, so that'll be fun. If I get considered/another interview, where are some good suburban areas? My pal lives in Huntley and that seems like, so does Crystal Lake but I feel like Crystal Lake is expensive. I am 24 and not the richest guy in the world but I absolutely love where I have visited before.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hello friends,

I am coming back to visit in about 1.5 months or so, just a question. Will the Blackhawks merch in the pop up store end up in the team store? I really want some of the gear in there but cannot justify an Amtrak ride for gear :laugh:

In addition to that I have an interview with the corporate section of my company, so that'll be fun. If I get considered/another interview, where are some good suburban areas? My pal lives in Huntley and that seems like, so does Crystal Lake but I feel like Crystal Lake is expensive. I am 24 and not the richest guy in the world but I absolutely love where I have visited before.

No idea on the gear.

What do you mean with regards to the suburban areas, what are you looking for? Places to live? If so, what are your concerns beyond price? Do you need to get downtown Chicago, because Huntley is a long way if that's your commute. I don't know much about the northern burbs though.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
No idea on the gear.

What do you mean with regards to the suburban areas, what are you looking for? Places to live? If so, what are your concerns beyond price? Do you need to get downtown Chicago, because Huntley is a long way if that's your commute. I don't know much about the northern burbs though.
Yeah it'd be in one of the buildings downtown. My Company's corporate office is out of Willis Tower. It is quite a bit of a drive but I would end up going to the nearest Metra stop as I prefer commuter rail and the fare system is... pretty fair.

I would be looking for places to live, yes. Small homes or small apartments, if I get this. I have other places I will be interviewing as well. Regarding pricing I'd be able to be flexible on it; probably middle of the pack since I'd just need smaller living quarters and not much more than like 2 small bedrooms and what not. I used to take New Jersey Transit into Penn Station and then take the Subway for work so I am not super worried about commuting time, especially if I get to stay with my company now because they are very accommodating with working from home.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yeah it'd be in one of the buildings downtown. My Company's corporate office is out of Willis Tower. It is quite a bit of a drive but I would end up going to the nearest Metra stop as I prefer commuter rail and the fare system is... pretty fair.

I would be looking for places to live, yes. Small homes or small apartments, if I get this. I have other places I will be interviewing as well. Regarding pricing I'd be able to be flexible on it; probably middle of the pack since I'd just need smaller living quarters and not much more than like 2 small bedrooms and what not. I used to take New Jersey Transit into Penn Station and then take the Subway for work so I am not super worried about commuting time, especially if I get to stay with my company now because they are very accommodating with working from home.

I only know the suburbs I know (no duh) but I'd suggest Oak Park or Forest Park, just west of the city. Both have L and Metra stops as well as the Eishenhower expressway. Oak Park will be higher priced as it's a pretty well off suburb. Forest Park is right next to it but more affordable. Forest Park has a lot of bars if you like that sort of thing. With L, Uber/Cab or metra you can get downtown in a half hour from either which is really nice.

Last edited:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I only know the suburbs I know (no duh) but I'd suggest Oak Park or Forest Park, just west of the city. Both have L and Metra stops as well as the Eishenhower expressway. Oak Park will be higher priced as it's a pretty well off suburb. Forest Park is right next to it but more affordable. Forest Park has a lot of bars if you like that sort of thing. With L, Uber/Cab or metra you can get downtown in a half hour from either which is really nice.
I will check them out when I get out there, thanks for this. Last time I visited I got off of Amtrak and pretty much walked all around the city except for some parts, and of course I am likely unable to afford apartments right there, so I will definitely check out both. I liked Metra. I took like quite a bit in the weekend's time I spent there and it was generally pretty on time and good paced.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Back in the mid 90's a buddy of mine (die-hard Hawk fan), and myself got tickets for a Wings/Hawks game in early October...After spending the day enjoying the weather (was low 70's F), and seeing the sights (Museum of Science, and Industry, and checking out Grant Park) we decided to grab some dinner downtown.

Like other big cities - most bars/restaurants post their menus in the window so you can see what they have to offer...We literally 'stumbled' upon the iconic Miller's Pub.

Place is full of locals - no snobbery - down to earth types with a great variety of food, and beer on tap...It's always a must for me, and my family when we visit the Windy City.

Miller's Pub

Reactions: shinemaster

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Most likely i'm never going to visit Chicago, a chance to visit (you never know though :) ), so i have to ask:

Is Chicago's legendary pizza really as good as advertised?, it's been mentioned in movies,
TV shows, etc. etc., they've even wrote songs about it, i have heard/known about Chicago's deep-dish (pan) pizza since i was a kid,
never had the pleasure to taste it though :(

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Most likely i'm never going to visit Chicago, a chance to visit (you never know though :) ), so i have to ask:

Is Chicago's legendary pizza really as good as advertised?, it's been mentioned in movies,
TV shows, etc. etc., they've even wrote songs about it, i have heard/known about Chicago's deep-dish (pan) pizza since i was a kid,
never had the pleasure to taste it though :(

Yes.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad