OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
sw side of LA, lake charles area. i am surprise at the size of the craw fish. but it is early in the eating season. i am more of the shrimp kind of a person. we only brought 1 bag of 50 lbs from market basket. they were mostly alive. what was a disappointment was the crabs there were none that was worth eating. but our gathering was for close friends and families. the fish fry is also great.... plenty of cat-fish to eat.

still recovering .... ;);)

and what part of Chicago are you in? I may have to make a road trip to say hello :)

My wife is making crawfish pie, jambalaya and her 2nd attempt at a King Cake for my birthday cele today.

Reactions: RayP

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
and what part of Chicago are you in? I may have to make a road trip to say hello :)

My wife is making crawfish pie, jambalaya and her 2nd attempt at a King Cake for my birthday cele today.
i was born and raise in the little village area, 24th and Cali. in the housing projects that is there. went to Assumption grammar school and then went to Harrison HS. the best hispanic food in the city that is there. believe it or not, Home Runn pizza was founded there on 31 st. for me the best pizza in chi. i really do not like the deep dish pizza as many prefer.

i retired to LA and for the most part, i really hate to say this, but i dislike the food here. this is on me and my taste. but c'mon who can't love fresh shrimp from the gulf and let alone the fresh fish...... that alone make me feel like i am in heaven.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Oh, I thought you were in Chicago area. Either way, I'm jealous.
I've heard about this Home Run Pizza, have not had it yet. I'm not keen on the deep dish, best pizza in Chicago for me is Piece - New Haven style.

Louisiana food - I know a few people like that, but like you said, fresh shrimp and fish are awesome!

I'm very hungry now.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I've heard about this Home Run Pizza, have not had it yet. I'm not keen on the deep dish, best pizza in Chicago for me is Piece - New Haven style.

Louisiana food - I know a few people like that, but like you said, fresh shrimp and fish are awesome!

I'm very hungry now.
i am just recovering from the alcohol i had....... whew it was a nice party.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

I'm very hungry now.
yeah i coming to chi late april to bury my sister remains. we are staying in the yorktown area and on the first nite, home runn inn pizza. ahhh chi great array of food...... no place in the US has that great of assortment of food as there is ..... like chi style. :cool:

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
yeah i coming to chi late april to bury my sister remains. we are staying in the yorktown area and on the first nite, home runn inn pizza. ahhh chi great array of food...... no place in the US has that great of assortment of food as there is ..... like chi style. :cool:

As much as I love my home town New Orleans food, Chicago has more options. Now I haven't lived in NOLA since 2002, and I know a lot of places have opened, but Chicago has so much variety.

Matt Masterson

Feb 25, 2018
Devils fan here, coming to Chicago the week of March 18th and looking to attend the game on 3/20. I have been to Chicago many times but never during hockey season. Looking forward to checking out a Hawks game. Any recommendations on the best place to find a ticket? I was thinking of waiting until the last minute and looking on Stubhub since it'll be just me.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Devils fan here, coming to Chicago the week of March 18th and looking to attend the game on 3/20. I have been to Chicago many times but never during hockey season. Looking forward to checking out a Hawks game. Any recommendations on the best place to find a ticket? I was thinking of waiting until the last minute and looking on Stubhub since it'll be just me.

I think you have the best idea. For weekday games, if you check stubhub like 3 hours before game, they are a fraction of face value.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
has anyone seen the new tv series called Instinct on cbs..... or maybe any trailers.

if the series is as good and funny as the trailer, i think i am going to watch tv again.

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
Hey guys,

I'm moving to Chicago from Sweden in May. I'm working as a service manager at a BMW dealership here, but my plan is to find out if sales in the automotive business is anything for me.
I hope I will be able to share a room with someone, somewhere, close to downtown or close to public transportation as I will not own a car to begin with. Max budget for a room is 1000$ ish with utilities.

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated to a lonely immigrant!
(And yes, I do have a green card so I'm eligible to live and work in the states)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hey guys,

I'm moving to Chicago from Sweden in May. I'm working as a service manager at a BMW dealership here, but my plan is to find out if sales in the automotive business is anything for me.
I hope I will be able to share a room with someone, somewhere, close to downtown or close to public transportation as I will not own a car to begin with. Max budget for a room is 1000$ ish with utilities.

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated to a lonely immigrant!
(And yes, I do have a green card so I'm eligible to live and work in the states)

Maybe check Craigslist Chicago to see if there are any advertisements looking for roommates for under your budget, or people with a family home that are looking to rent a room/assisted living type of situation? I don't live in the city, and don't know anyone who does that has space available, but someone on here might.

Craigslist can be kinda sketchy, so definitely do some research on the potential roommate if you can. I know you won't find a solo apartment or anything for under $1000 with utilities included, at least in the city, in a decent neighborhood. Be picky in your search, IMO, and ask a lot of questions of the person you potentially would be living with.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
People will call me a tourist, but I've got to still go with Uno's/Due's for deep dish. I actually prefer Giordano's thin dish and like Home Run Inn as well on that front.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
People will call me a tourist, but I've got to still go with Uno's/Due's for deep dish. I actually prefer Giordano's thin dish and like Home Run Inn as well on that front.
for me, i think Home Runn Inn is the best.....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
For thin crust, I'm a Falco's or Phil's guy. Easily the best thin crust I've eaten in Chicago at those two places.
believe it or not, the owners, the org owners of Falco's is the brother of Home Runn Inn. now do the taste test, very similar with the sauce.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
all this food of chi, esp my favorite - pizza. oh man yous guys are killing me. the best pizza here is domino or pizza hut.

damn.

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
Maybe check Craigslist Chicago to see if there are any advertisements looking for roommates for under your budget, or people with a family home that are looking to rent a room/assisted living type of situation? I don't live in the city, and don't know anyone who does that has space available, but someone on here might.

Craigslist can be kinda sketchy, so definitely do some research on the potential roommate if you can. I know you won't find a solo apartment or anything for under $1000 with utilities included, at least in the city, in a decent neighborhood. Be picky in your search, IMO, and ask a lot of questions of the person you potentially would be living with.
Thanks for the tip!
Craigslist is kind of sketchy, but I will definitely visit the place before I agree on anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->