OT: Visiting Calgary, what are the best places to buy CDs?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I like buying eclectic music...dub, funk, soul, gospel and blues from the '40s - '50s, etc. What are some of the best stores to pick stuff like that up? And are they underwater!?

Some quick Googling said that Sloth Records, Recordland, and Hot Wax Records are good places to start. Sound about right?

Thanks!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I like buying eclectic music...dub, funk, soul, gospel and blues from the '40s - '50s, etc. What are some of the best stores to pick stuff like that up? And are they underwater!?

Some quick Googling said that Sloth Records, Recordland, and Hot Wax Records are good places to start. Sound about right?

Thanks!

Sloth and Hot Wax are probably your best bets for those. Cant speak for Recordland.

If you are here during the Stampede there are usually a couple of vendors in the BMO center that are setup to sell vinyl's so you should check that out as well if you get the chance.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sloth and Hot Wax are probably your best bets for those. Cant speak for Recordland.

If you are here during the Stampede there are usually a couple of vendors in the BMO center that are setup to sell vinyl's so you should check that out as well if you get the chance.

Right on. Thanks man!

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's been a few years since I've been there, but you could easily spend a long time in Recordland. I've come across a lot of random gems I wouldn't have expected there. They literally have rows, and rows, and rows of stuff from the floor to the ceiling and everything is "sort of" alphabetized (ie: all the A's will be in one section, but they may not necessarily be in order, etc...)

Bring a list of things you're looking for or else you'll be stuck there forever just browsing :)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's been a few years since I've been there, but you could easily spend a long time in Recordland. I've come across a lot of random gems I wouldn't have expected there. They literally have rows, and rows, and rows of stuff from the floor to the ceiling and everything is "sort of" alphabetized (ie: all the A's will be in one section, but they may not necessarily be in order, etc...)

Bring a list of things you're looking for or else you'll be stuck there forever just browsing :)

I'm visiting friends who work during the day...I got nothing but time. Sounds like my kinda place!

Aug 3, 2010
I believe Phoenix Comics' south location on 17 Avenue SW still has a record store attached to it.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I believe Phoenix Comics' south location on 17 Avenue SW still has a record store attached to it.

Yes they do Melodiya records, good place

Owner is an ******* but its an awesome place, does anyone know if they were effected by the flood?

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
Yes they do Melodiya records, good place

Owner is an ******* but its an awesome place, does anyone know if they were effected by the flood?

I've heard this a lot but never had any problems with him.

The Inner Sleeve is a really underrated place. Their stuff is in a lot better condition than most places. I'd also check out Heritage for their selection.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
While we're in the time machine, I'm looking for a flip phone that still works.

Ending a call nowadays is not nearly as cool

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
While we're in the time machine, I'm looking for a flip phone that still works.

Ending a call nowadays is not nearly as cool

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-A341

medium01.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad