OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick response.

I may as well keep going. My job will have me based out of an office very close to the Calgary Golf and Country Club. Would it be wise for me to seek a place to rent right in the heart of downtown or a little more southwest? I'd love the have something urban and modern maybe in a condo but don't want to pay any more than like 1500 a month. Maybe those needs are tough to match. I'd like to live in a place where i'm close to work but also close to needs like grocery stores, wal mart and so on. I'm not really familiar with Calgary and i'm not sure where those areas are located. Some cities have all your needs downtown while others have them on the outskirts. Also how is traffic during rush hour. If google maps tells me it will take me 15 minutes to drive somewhere how much longer will it be at peak times?

Thanks for all your help guys!

So it looks like your job is in the SW part of town, close to downtown. I think you might be a little optimistic in hoping to get something in the heart of downtown for that price. That said, if you find a place near where you work, getting into downtown shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes though truth be told there's really not a lot happening downtown outside of business hours. Schanks and Jack Astors are about 5-10 minutes south of that golf club and 17th ave SW as well as 4th street SW are about 10-15 minutes north so your girlfriend will have a lot of options in that area. You also have Superstore, Walmart, and Coop south of that area for your grocery needs and Chinook Centre is close by for shopping.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So it looks like your job is in the SW part of town, close to downtown. I think you might be a little optimistic in hoping to get something in the heart of downtown for that price. That said, if you find a place near where you work, getting into downtown shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes though truth be told there's really not a lot happening downtown outside of business hours. Schanks and Jack Astors are about 5-10 minutes south of that golf club and 17th ave SW as well as 4th street SW are about 10-15 minutes north so your girlfriend will have a lot of options in that area. You also have Superstore, Walmart, and Coop south of that area for your grocery needs and Chinook Centre is close by for shopping.

Awesome, thanks so much. Maybe i'll look for a place a little more south west. I don't mind living outside of the city a little and driving in if it costs a lot less. I may even consider buying a place instead of renting.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Awesome, thanks so much. Maybe i'll look for a place a little more south west. I don't mind living outside of the city a little and driving in if it costs a lot less. I may even consider buying a place instead of renting.

You now have to be a Flames' fan too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You now have to be a Flames' fan too.

I will be when the Avs aren't in town :laugh:
I actually really like the flames. They're probably my second favorite team in the league. Though I doubt that continues as they get better and create a rivalry with my team haha. I'll definitely be a Saddledome regular though. And yes. ill wear red!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually really like the flames. They're probably my second favorite team in the league. Though I doubt that continues as they get better and create a rivalry with my team haha. I'll definitely be a Saddledome regular though. And yes. ill wear red!

If you like pizza, you're welcome here anytime.

See our GDT's.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
pizza-cat.gif

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My dad and I are actually heading to Calgary to watch 3 games live at the Saddledome, so this thread definitely helps.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

That's pretty much how I am down here with the Coyotes. Always hope for the best with them, but when the Flames come in town, it's all about my Flames.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Did you get some package deal including food/drinks with those tickets?

Enjoy the game/city, FFF!

I don't think so. It was just convenient to go to these games because then my dad and I would only have to miss work for 4 days. I've been to the Saddledome once, and that was in December of 2010. Going to 3 games in a row should be fun. My uncle even hooked my dad and I up with some seats 5 rows behind the visitor bench for the first game against Philly. Exciting times :nod:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
FFF, I'll be at the Philly game. Me and my wife will be in our Gaudreau and Money Retro's.

That's freakin' sweet. I better find myself a wife that loves hockey. If not, I think I can slowly convert her.

Haha, anyway, where are you guys seated that game? That's the game where my uncle got my dad and I good seats! We bought nosebleeds for the last 2 games, we're really just there for the atmosphere :).

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
That's freakin' sweet. I better find myself a wife that loves hockey. If not, I think I can slowly convert her.

Haha, anyway, where are you guys seated that game? That's the game where my uncle got my dad and I good seats! We bought nosebleeds for the last 2 games, we're really just there for the atmosphere :).

Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me where the seats are, as long as you can relatively see, it's great. Be sure to try a Pocket Dawg, they are the best!:nod:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me where the seats are, as long as you can relatively see, it's great. Be sure to try a Pocket Dawg, they are the best!:nod:

I am totally fine in the nosebleeds, I just want to be around an atmosphere with all Flames' fans.

Down in Arizona, it's 50/50 :laugh:. I am pretty sure the Canadians and the well known American teams (like the 'Hawks, Red Wings) are the ones that fund that stadium :laugh:.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is either going to go one of 2 ways, someone is going to get slapped or it's going to flatter her and put her in a good mood which will set me up for later :laugh:

I think I'm sitting in one of the PL sections?

And AF, stay away from my wife :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is either going to go one of 2 ways, someone is going to get slapped or it's going to flatter her and put her in a good mood which will set me up for later :laugh:

I think I'm sitting in one of the PL sections?

And AF, stay away from my wife :laugh:
:laugh: It sounds like she knows about our shenanigans and is good natured.

Truth be told I couldn't pick her out of a lineup, I just remember thinking when you posted that pic that you did well for yourself :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad