OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
During the day, I highly recommend walking down around Eau Claire and Princes Island Park. Then hitting up a 17th Ave patio for a cold refreshment. And most definitely, if you've never been here before and want the full Calgary experience, go to Cowboys nightclub and bar!

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Go to the mountains? That is, if you are wanting to go around the "area" of Calgary.

I know you wanted Calgary/Edmonton alone, but not going to the mountains when visiting Alberta is a crime... Lake Louise is beautiful

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
Sounds Calgary has nice parks and other places to hang out. Now what about any typical food from Cgy/Alberta/West and which restaurants does it best?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sounds Calgary has nice parks and other places to hang out. Now what about any typical food from Cgy/Alberta/West and which restaurants does it best?

I would think if you come to Alberta and don't try the beef, you're missing out. :laugh:

The Keg does great food. Kind of pricey, but definitely worth it for what you get.

I'd say that you should definitely take a stroll downtown or along 17th and hit up an Irish pub. Calgary has a great pub scene IMO.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Palomino, which is downtown, right on our train line actually, does really solid bbq. So if you find yourself by there, i usually recommend them

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Hit up Rouge, one of the top 100 restaurant in world. I think it was 60th?

If u want steak hit up vintage steak house. better than keg and isn't a franchise :)

Notable is also a good place for foodies. Former iron chef place.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hit up Rouge, one of the top 100 restaurant in world. I think it was 60th?

If u want steak hit up vintage steak house. better than keg and isn't a franchise :)

Notable is also a good place for foodies. Former iron chef place.

Can confirm, Notable is awesome.

If you want a good time at dinner, go to Japanese Village :laugh:

If you want a really good time at dinner, go to Boudoir Rouge :naughty:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Diner deluxe is fantastic. Both Edmonton trail location and the new aspen location. Other faves are

Notables in Montgomery
Muriatos (sp)
Richmonds pub
Silver dragon in china town
Keg in the Westin
Joey's in eu Claire
Open sesame
Khiblai

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I moved this thread in here. This thread was in the mega-thread, so it should be reasonably findable if you're looking for it.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Calgary, the City & the Team!

Just accepted and transfer from the East Coast to Calgary... Will try to live in a Central Area/Close to downtown (money wont be an issue)

Can anyone fill me in on the city? What is there to do?

-Live Music (punk, metal, garage)
-Running
-Hiking
-Dogs
-Craft Beer
-Live Hockey

Thx in advance guys, and will be at the game SENS/FLAMES Nov. 15th ;)

**Please move this topic if not properly located, I couldn't find a thread here about the city**

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Live heavier music I always dug Tubby Dog; if you can wade through some hipsters they do punk rock shows on weekends.

Running, we have paths everywhere. I recommend around the river, don't stray too close to the DI honestly.

Hiking you have Banff/Canmore/Exshaw in your back pocket. Tons of trails through there. If you want a more westerny flair, head east to Drumhellar, there are paths all through there... And it's pretty unique.

Calgary's a dog city, almost every park is compatible. The Scotsman hill above the dome is nice view and a dog park.

Craft Beer, you have... Craft. Head out to Canmore and try the Grizzly Paw stuff, it's pretty sweet. Some places in Calgary serve it too.

Live hockey, you have the Dome for the Flames and Hitmen, the latter is dirt cheap, for younger guys and just to catch some hockey you can try the Max Bell located off of Deerfoot and Memorial.

Welcome to Calgary man!

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Trying to convince my girlfriend to move to Calgary. Edmonton sucks.

I miss everything about that city :(

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Currently trying to find a decent place to live in Calgary for my dog and myself... any neighborhoods I should avoid?
Work = 53rd/3rd SE

Beer Revolution and either of the two 'Nationals' in the city are also good for some Craft Beer.
Craft Beer, you have... Craft. Head out to Canmore and try the Grizzly Paw stuff, it's pretty sweet. Some places in Calgary serve it too.
Heard a lot of good about Wild Rose Brewery, from friends that have been there last year... familiar with that one?

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Currently trying to find a decent place to live in Calgary for my dog and myself... any neighborhoods I should avoid?
Work = 53rd/3rd SE

I'd be reluctant to consider living anywhere north of Peigan Tr. & east of Deerfoot Tr., generally speaking. Some nice spots in that area but some pretty rough spots too. That said, if I had to, I could.

Florian

Nov 23, 2014
Dublin
Hey guys, finally coming down to Calgary next month. Spending some days there and take in the Flames v Dallas game as well. Can't wait and booked already a guided Downtown walking tour. Also wanted to get into the mountains but seems I'm running out of luck and tours at this time of the year are rather unlikely to happen. Wondering, is it possible with public transport like bus/train to get into the mountains & parks for a day trip to enjoy in a bit of the scenery? Or is car absolutely required?

Also: If the Flames do morning skates before their home games - are they public, would it be possible for me to attend it in the Dome?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Hey guys, finally coming down to Calgary next month. Spending some days there and take in the Flames v Dallas game as well. Can't wait and booked already a guided Downtown walking tour. Also wanted to get into the mountains but seems I'm running out of luck and tours at this time of the year are rather unlikely to happen. Wondering, is it possible with public transport like bus/train to get into the mountains & parks for a day trip to enjoy in a bit of the scenery? Or is car absolutely required?

Also: If the Flames do morning skates before their home games - are they public, would it be possible for me to attend it in the Dome?

There's no public transportation from the city to up there so you'd need a car if you are unable to find a tour bus. It's not a far drive though. You're just heading west on 16th ave/Highway 1 for about 1.5-2 hours until you get to Kananaskis/Banff/Lake Louis. If you're coming in December, dress warmly :)

And yes, the morning skates are usually open to the public. I believe dates and times are posted on the Flames website.

Florian

Nov 23, 2014
Dublin
Thank you. Okay, well then I probably have to rent a car. Really want to see at least a bit of the mountains once I'm so close. Even though it might be quite a shock temperature wise as I'll be in Vegas for a conference the days before I come to Calgary. So dress warmly is probably a very good tip. I just had a wee look at the weather forecast... brrrrrr :D

Great to hear that the morning skate is public!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad