OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I get some crazy headaches when I used to live in Calgary when a chinook came. Now, the winters where I am are mild but the summers absolutely suck.
I've never had that problem, and I have hate severe cold so I quite enjoy the chinooks in Southern Alberta

The sun generally melts my ice fortress.
ironically its stays warmer when it's cloudy in the winter :naughty:

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
If you guys think those above are crazy, you'll probably think my wife and I are certifiable. We are spending our honeymoon in Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Jasper and Prince George in January! :laugh:

Couple questions about the weather in Calgary as we are from Seattle, where we really don't get winters. Is it necessary to have a black warmer in the car to start every morning? Most of our hotels have outdoor parking and we want to be able to leave on time. Also, are the QE2 and Yellowhead highways pretty passable? I mean, do the road services sand/salt them? We have an A4 with AWD and great snow tires, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Also, any suggestions for a great restaurant (preferably sports bar or great beer bar) on the LRT line or near the Hyatt would be appreciated.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
If you guys think those above are crazy, you'll probably think my wife and I are certifiable. We are spending our honeymoon in Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Jasper and Prince George in January! :laugh:

Couple questions about the weather in Calgary as we are from Seattle, where we really don't get winters. Is it necessary to have a black warmer in the car to start every morning? Most of our hotels have outdoor parking and we want to be able to leave on time. Also, are the QE2 and Yellowhead highways pretty passable? I mean, do the road services sand/salt them? We have an A4 with AWD and great snow tires, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Also, any suggestions for a great restaurant (preferably sports bar or great beer bar) on the LRT line or near the Hyatt would be appreciated.

For the most part the QE2 should be fine as long as we haven't had a big dump of snow recently. Our winters are usually relatively "mild" in that sense of snow fall. The Yellowhead is a completely different story, that's mountain driving and very unpredictable in winter. Just make sure those winter tires on your car are solid. I think chains are allowed on those highways, I'm not sure.

You can bring a warmer just in case, but it usually doesn't drop to anywhere cold enough that you would have to worry about your car not turning on.

It depends on what sort of restaurants you're looking for. On 17th avenue SW, there's tons of great restaurants a short hop from the C-Train. Una's Pizza is a great little place.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Coming in January - it depends on the weather. It can drop to -40 at night and if so, you will have great difficulty starting your car if it sits for more than a few hours outside. Park your car facing south (away from the north wind) and you might have better luck. Heading out to start it every 4-6 hours or so and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes (sorry, environment) would work too. Might consider spending the $200 or so to have the block heater installed, to be safe.

Flames Central is about a block and a half away from the Hyatt. Close enough for walking even if it is -20 and you've bundled up.

Driving on any of the major routes (Highway 2, 16, 1 etc.) shouldn't be a concern as they'll be top priority for road crews - and with winter tires & AWD you should be fine. Check the road conditions website http://511.alberta.ca before setting out to avoid any surprises, and drive safe!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Question about the Saddledome, as I haven't found a better thread for it here: What are the views like from the press level? Any experience with Stubhub for tickets?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Question about the Saddledome, as I haven't found a better thread for it here: What are the views like from the press level? Any experience with Stubhub for tickets?

photo.jpg

If only there was this place you could search for images... ;) Its not too bad though, and I've sat, literally, at the back of the press level. It's quite a hike though.

As for Stubhub, never used them before. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get tickets through ticketmaster.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
photo.jpg

If only there was this place you could search for images... ;) Its not too bad though, and I've sat, literally, at the back of the press level. It's quite a hike though.

As for Stubhub, never used them before. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get tickets through ticketmaster.

Just going to be in the area next week and there's some press level tickets for like $12 each on there. I admit I didn't think of the image search thing but it's always nice to get a first-hand opinion as well ;). Thanks.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just going to be in the area next week and there's some press level tickets for like $12 each on there. I admit I didn't think of the image search thing but it's always nice to get a first-hand opinion as well ;). Thanks.

Yeah press level seating at the dome is kinda "eh". The one really nice thing about the way the dome is layed out though its that there shouldn't really be any obstructions from where you are sitting.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Looks like the scoreboard is obstructed, though. Can't go wrong for the price, though, I suppose.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Looks like the scoreboard is obstructed, though. Can't go wrong for the price, though, I suppose.
The scoreboard is obstructed but there are screens up there that show you the score / shots / etc.

Not sure if I recall correctly but there might be screens that show the scoreboard video etc. as well. (certainly someone will correct me if I misremembered)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, the jumbotron is visible just about anywhere except the section where you gotta go up the stairs to go up the stairs. Used to be called Ultimate Fan Zone and something else. Not sure if it's still called that. But you're not so high up that you can't see anything. Enjoy the game!

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Realized this week that the wife and I will be in Calgary for the final of the WJC. Is there a place that would be a great experience to watch it at? Is it possible they open the Saddledome early before the 4pm Hitmen game so people can watch it on the screens at the rink?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Realized this week that the wife and I will be in Calgary for the final of the WJC. Is there a place that would be a great experience to watch it at? Is it possible they open the Saddledome early before the 4pm Hitmen game so people can watch it on the screens at the rink?

You might want to call or email the Saddledome on that. I can't imagine they would televise it there, but I could be wrong.

Maybe check out Flames Central?
http://www.flamescentral.com/

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
From personal experience, Flames Central is garbage, and I wouldn't go back there for free. I've heard others share this opinion, but to each their own.

If there's a Hitmen game that night I doubt they open the Dome.

For atmosphere, I enjoy Schanks. It depends what part of the city you're in though. NFL football may trump the Jrs at Schanks though, might be worth giving them a call beforehand.

Aug 3, 2010
From personal experience, Flames Central is garbage, and I wouldn't go back there for free. I've heard others share this opinion, but to each their own.

If there's a Hitmen game that night I doubt they open the Dome.

For atmosphere, I enjoy Schanks. It depends what part of the city you're in though. NFL football may trump the Jrs at Schanks though, might be worth giving them a call beforehand.
I find FC is OK for concerts but never been there personally for any kind of game-viewing.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
What kind of player is Greg Chase?

His boxcars seem excellent compared to others on the team. What kind of player is he? What's his NHL upside?

Thank you Flames fans

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
He's an agitator with decent skill. The first thing I think of when I remember Chase is him blowing kisses to the Oil King's bench after a goal. Seems to do a bit of everything and has good CHL hands...not sure if they'll convert to the NHL though.

EDIT - Google indicates it was a shootout winner.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
What to do in Calgary and area this summer

Hi everybody,

I'm from Montreal and my brother offered me to come spend a week with him in Alberta. The hotel in both Calgary and Edmonton is paid by my brother's company, airplane ticket 50% off.. hard to say no! However for a couple of days my brother will be at meetings so I will be left alone in the 2 biggest cities of Alberta and I was wondering what is there to do alone in Calgary and Edmonton. On the Habs board we have a thread which has all the attractions of mtl and more http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=821943. I tried to find a similar thread on the flames and oilers board but I didn't find anything. I would appreciate if you guys could help me out!

Thanks!

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Things to do in Calgary:

- zoo
- float the bow river
- walk 17th ave
- bike down memorial drive
- heritage park
- drive to Banff
- hang out in eu Claire market
- hang out in princes island park