OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's been good, BBQ and Zoo especially. I scheduled too much stuff myself originally, and stressed a bit when I didn't have time for everything, but now I'm gonna just relax

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
@Volica thanks for the brewery tips. Went to Prairie Dog yesterday. Today it was Annex Ale, Born Colorado, and Banded Peak, I think I had like 3-4 pints altogether. Then to Paddy's to finish the evening with Pulled Pork Poutine. I now understand why poutine is so popular :laugh:

Only one day left, I'll probably go to Wellingtons for some Alberta beef.

It's been a good trip, too short though since I realized only couple of days ago that I've been way too tired because of jet lag. I'm just getting used to the city and everything, and I'll have to leave soon. So tip for anyone coming from Europe: reserve at least two weeks, prepare to spend the first week or half just settling in, and then you'll have great time for over a week.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
@Volica thanks for the brewery tips. Went to Prairie Dog yesterday. Today it was Annex Ale, Born Colorado, and Banded Peak, I think I had like 3-4 pints altogether. Then to Paddy's to finish the evening with Pulled Pork Poutine. I now understand why poutine is so popular :laugh:

Only one day left, I'll probably go to Wellingtons for some Alberta beef.

It's been a good trip, too short though since I realized only couple of days ago that I've been way too tired because of jet lag. I'm just getting used to the city and everything, and I'll have to leave soon. So tip for anyone coming from Europe: reserve at least two weeks, prepare to spend the first week or half just settling in, and then you'll have great time for over a week.

Happy that you got out buddy!
Hope the beer was to your liking! Annex is probably my new favourite along with Cold Garden. One of my buds works at Annex, love going there when he's there. Cheaper than normal and top notch service.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Glad to hear you're having a good time @Kahvi! Did you make it out to the Banff/Canmore or to the Stamps game?

I was driving on Crowchild as the game was clearing out. Some guy in a Corvette almost sideswiped me and then continued to drive his car down two lanes. He didn't even know I was next to him even though I was blaring my horn at him. I'm pretty sure he was drunk :shakehead

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Glad to hear you're having a good time @Kahvi! Did you make it out to the Banff/Canmore or to the Stamps game?

I was driving on Crowchild as the game was clearing out. Some guy in a Corvette almost sideswiped me and then continued to drive his car down two lanes. He didn't even know I was next to him even though I was blaring my horn at him. I'm pretty sure he was drunk :shakehead

f*** drunk drivers. Glad you made it out unscathed fam.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Calgary airport, flight departs in 3,5 hours. It was a great trip, thanks everyone. Now its just saving money for the SC finals next year:sarcasm:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
**** drunk drivers. Glad you made it out unscathed fam.

It occurred to me the next day that I had seriously considered taking my motorcycle out that evening but didn't on account of potential rain. Man, I'm glad I didn't. I need to pay attention to the Stamps schedule so I know when not to use Crowchild.

Calgary airport, flight departs in 3,5 hours. It was a great trip, thanks everyone. Now its just saving money for the SC finals next year:sarcasm:

I like the way this guy thinks! Hope your trip was good for you and it was nice meeting you, Kahvi.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Hey HF Fam, my wife and I are doing our honeymoon in Banff. We live in northern NY flying from MTL to Calgary and then driving.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary or things we absolutely have to see. We’re staying in Canmore. Thanks everyone

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Brunch at the Fairmont Banff Springs is always nice:
Weekend Brunch - Fairmont Banff Springs

Do you like hiking? There's a lot of good hiking around Canmore and Kananaskis, as well as the hike up Sulphur Mountain in Banff. The restaurant up top isn't great, but the view is really nice.

If you enjoy biking, you can find some bike rentals in Canmore and ride the Legacy trail into Banff. It's not a particularly difficult ride, as you see the elderly and children do it, though it is a little over 20km one way.

Reactions: AmeriHab

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hey HF Fam, my wife and I are doing our honeymoon in Banff. We live in northern NY flying from MTL to Calgary and then driving.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary or things we absolutely have to see. We’re staying in Canmore. Thanks everyone

Hey man. Welcome to our city & congrats on getting married!
Before we can help, what time frame are you coming? Because Winter and Summer are two completely different beasts on what's best to do around.

If it's within the next couple months:
Check out the Banff Springs Hotel. Super cool castle in the middle of the mountains. Rich Alberta history there. Check out the Gondola. I don't think you'll have anything remotely as cool in the Eastern States to this.. Gorgeous mountain ranges as far as the eye can see. There's a bunch of sight seeing tours in Banff too, depending on the time of year. These can be pretty cool (a little costly), and you'll see things that you just won't see out near NY.

In Canmore, you can do some hiking. A trip like Grotto Canyon is a must. Super easy hike (as long as you guys are both in a somewhat healthy condition), about 3 hours total, nice waterfall... and Cave paintings from thousands of years ago (f***ing sweet haha).

Food wise in Canmore... I mean, you're from NY; so, the balance of food might be a bit different. But some of the best poutine outside of a few Montreal establishments is found in Canmore in La Belle Patate. Grizzly Paw is also out there, great Brewery that has good food.

Outside of that, it's completely up to you. There's great hot springs (although in Summer, not sure if that's something you're looking for) out in Banff. There's the Glacier tour in Jasper; that's like a full day thing from Banff. Around the Calgary area, there's two UNESCO World Heritage Sites (outside of Banff) within a couple hours; Head Smashed in & the Drumhellar Dinosaur Museum. Both are kind of day trips for the most part, especially if departing from Banff though. That all being said, it'll really, really give you a good idea of Alberta. You'll be in Rockies, around Banff. You'll be in Badlands in Drum. You'll be in the Plains in Head Smashed in.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Gotta say. I love this city and what surrounds it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've never really appreciated our proximity to the mountains and towns in surrounding areas until a few years ago. I've lived in Calgary all my life and looking back wish I put more effort into going out there.

I was out in Canmore a few weeks back for my friends wedding and it's always a joy to be out there.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Thanks Everyone! We’re arriving in Calgary late Wednesday the 25th and coming back Sunday. So it’s a very quick trip. We’re staying in Canmore and rented a car from the airport. We’re already planning on doing quite a bit of hiking and catching the scenery. We’re 29 and 27 and pretty active so we’re up for most things. Recently I was reading about getting Day passes to enter the park, is this something you need every day just to enter??

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Recently I was reading about getting Day passes to enter the park, is this something you need every day just to enter??

You only need the park pass if you are going into Banff/National Park area and stopping there and only if you're stopping there with a vehicle. If you were passing through to get to somewhere else, then no.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thanks Everyone! We’re arriving in Calgary late Wednesday the 25th and coming back Sunday. So it’s a very quick trip. We’re staying in Canmore and rented a car from the airport. We’re already planning on doing quite a bit of hiking and catching the scenery. We’re 29 and 27 and pretty active so we’re up for most things. Recently I was reading about getting Day passes to enter the park, is this something you need every day just to enter??

Where are you staying in Canmore? If a hotel, sometimes, you can ask the front desk to see if they have Park Passes for loan to patrons of the hotel you're staying at. It'll save you a little bit if you can borrow one (I think it's like $20 a day for two people/group).

There's tons to do in the Canmore area on the Kananaskis side which doesn't need a park pass, especially hiking. Depending how active you are, maybe even consider renting a bike and riding from Canmore to Banff?

However, it definitely worth going into the park at least once or twice during your stay and taking a peek at Emerald Lake, Lake Louise, Banff and possibly even the ice fields near Jasper.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You only need the park pass if you are going into Banff/National Park area and stopping there and only if you're stopping there with a vehicle. If you were passing through to get to somewhere else, then no.

I presumed the poster is going to stop in the park since the poster mentioned staying in Canmore Wednesday to Sunday? I doubt the poster would be as aggressive to merely go through the park in such a short trip.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I presumed the poster is going to stop in the park since the poster mentioned staying in Canmore Wednesday to Sunday? I doubt the poster would be as aggressive to merely go through the park in such a short trip.

You never know. Radium Hot Springs and Invermere aren't that far away and you gotta go through the park to get there and can be done in a morning/afternoon trip. He was also asking if you needed the pass just to enter.

@AmeriHab, Invermere has a nice little farmer's market on Saturday's if that's your thing.

If you make it to Invermere, they got an awesome bakery too
Home - The Invermere Bakery

Reactions: AmeriHab and Fig

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad