OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Not sure if I like them all, because I'm pretty sure I've never had cheese curds before. We just don't have that here. It's just like sour cream, we don't have the exactly same thing; just something somewhat similar with less fat% and russian style smetana which is really heavy at around 35% fat.

Same thing goes for different cuts of beef. I like to watch cooking & travel programs (No reservations by Anthony Bourdain is my favourite) and I can tell that while I understand what part of the cow they are eating, I would't be able to get here from general store. From a butcher probably yes.

RIP

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Nope. Europe and Japan only

Have you seen a Truck before? (pick up truck)

If not, that is all you will see in Calgary. :popcorn:

Moving to Calgary a decade+ ago from Europe this was the first thing that was noticeable outside of the mountains of course.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Have you seen a Truck before? (pick up truck)

If not, that is all you will see in Calgary. :popcorn:

Moving to Calgary a decade+ ago from Europe this was the first thing that was noticeable outside of the mountains of course.

Sure I've seen a pick up before, but the ones here are much smaller.

I'm super excited for your visit

Guess what, so am I :laugh:
Only 8 days work left, then almost three weeks holiday

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’ll second this. Went there on a date once and completely embarrassed the girl I was with by knocking over a table full of food. Best part is that it was not our table. The mushroom soup is great though 5/5.

Hah, I first went there on a date too. But I didn't smash someones dinner in the process :laugh:

It's good stuff, well made, well plated; tasty. I use to equate vegetarian/vegan as the lesser; because I'm about as meat n potato as they once created. Now being a major foodie (my cooking is off the charts too, I think I missed my calling at being a chef), you can make a killer meal without meat. Today I made thin crust cast-iron pizza, only thing that made it non-Vegan was the smoked Mozza that it definitely required and enjoyed.

Marathon Ethiopian and the Himalayan also have dope vegetarian options. Not sure about Vegan.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hah, I first went there on a date too. But I didn't smash someones dinner in the process :laugh:

It's good stuff, well made, well plated; tasty. I use to equate vegetarian/vegan as the lesser; because I'm about as meat n potato as they once created. Now being a major foodie (my cooking is off the charts too, I think I missed my calling at being a chef), you can make a killer meal without meat. Today I made thin crust cast-iron pizza, only thing that made it non-Vegan was the smoked Mozza that it definitely required and enjoyed.

Marathon Ethiopian and the Himalayan also have dope vegetarian options. Not sure about Vegan.

Just judging from my cultural knowledge, Ethiopian cuisine if vegetarian also means vegan as dairy and eggs aren't common. Himalayan is different as they do consume dairy and eggs.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm old, fat, bearded, and balding. Do I need worry about ID checks at bars, and is European driving license good enough if they for some reason think I'm 17? (I'd like to keep my passport at hotel safe just in case)

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I'm old, fat, bearded, and balding. Do I need worry about ID checks at bars, and is European driving license good enough if they for some reason think I'm 17? (I'd like to keep my passport at hotel safe just in case)

I used my Europen driving license when I lived there, never had a problem so should be fine.

Reactions: Kahvi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Most bars don't care. The only places that really care are liquor stores or an establishment with a bouncer.

Euro license should be adequate for both though.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Your room at the Hampton should have a safe in the closet as well

Reactions: Kahvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->