OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Spend the extra days in Jasper. You will not regret it if you are into hiking and scenery.

I'll be a bit tight for time, so mainly just Banff, Drumheller and Calgary for me.

If ya like sushi and need a break from beef, Oka Sushi Is a fantastic sushi bar at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Book a res as its popular among locals.

I'm from BC, so I have plently of choices for sushi back home :)

Obst

May 30, 2012
Cologne
Hello everybody,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I wasn't sure to open a new one.

I am from Germany and planning to visit Canada for honeymoon. I love the flames and by a happy coincidence (;)) it looks like I will be in Calgary right at the season opener against Vancouver on 6. Oct..

The question is, how can I get two tickets for the game? Are there Tickets available and is it possible to order them from Germany? Any advices or experiences?

Thanks for your help
Obst

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
They haven't been released yet for this coming season.

Ticketmaster.ca is where u will find them.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
If he was from .ca then that might help...

Perhaps contacting the Flames ticket office directly might be a good option. Contact information should be on the main website.
It doesn't matter where he is from. If he wants Canadian tickets he goes to .ca, no? Just like if I but tickets for the US I go to .com?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Oh well, I was about to make a thread about visiting Banff/Lake Louise, Ill just post here then.

Is there any moment in the year that is best for visiting Lake Louise?

Which hotel is the best, with the best view? I know the Chateau Fairmount Lake Louise is right in front of the Lake but its super expensive, is it worth the price? Is there any alternative hotel nearby?

And last of all, what kind of activities do you guys suggest in the area, except hiking of course?

Thanks in advance!!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Highly recommend a mod sticky this thread ...

Naive / completely f'ing foolish Coyotes fan planning to make a reverse-snow bird trip and do Coyotes/Oilers 3 December and Coyotes/Flames 4 December.

Can I get around on Calgary Transit? Dallas and Phoenix have public transit but it's really limited and the cities are so sprawled it's impractical to not have a car at all. I'm cool with a Greyhound bus between cities and I'm a pretty low-maintenance traveler.

Any idea about when singles so on sale? Am I going to find them from the team or do I need to get on StubHub/etc? The Coyotes aren't a big draw, are they? Can I get in the building for $50 Canadian?

How ugly does the mass transit get elsewhere in AB? Do I need a car to enjoy Red Deer / Lethbridge / etc if I go searching for some WHL / AJHL action?

Any advice for adventure outside of Calgary proper? Probably going to have one full day + some afternoons.

Thanks in advance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Naive / completely f'ing foolish Coyotes fan planning to make a reverse-snow bird trip and do Coyotes/Oilers 3 December and Coyotes/Flames 4 December.

Can I get around on Calgary Transit? Dallas and Phoenix have public transit but it's really limited and the cities are so sprawled it's impractical to not have a car at all. I'm cool with a Greyhound bus between cities and I'm a pretty low-maintenance traveler.

Any idea about when singles so on sale? Am I going to find them from the team or do I need to get on StubHub/etc? The Coyotes aren't a big draw, are they? Can I get in the building for $50 Canadian?

How ugly does the mass transit get elsewhere in AB? Do I need a car to enjoy Red Deer / Lethbridge / etc if I go searching for some WHL / AJHL action?

Any advice for adventure outside of Calgary proper? Probably going to have one full day + some afternoons.

Thanks in advance.
Calgary transit is quite good IMO. If you stay in Motel Village the LRT (or C-Train) stops right outside and will take you right to the Stampede grounds where the Saddledome is located.

I think $50 CDN is about the cost of our cheap tickets.

I can't speak on Red Deer, but in Lethbridge the mass transit is garbage. But if you don't mind a bit of a walk in the cold or paying for a short taxi ride there are some hotels in the area of the Enmax centre (the Holiday Inn & Premier Inn & Suites are the 2 closest), the area also has several restaurants and a theatre that plays 2nd run movies within walking distance.

If you want to see the sights in Alberta I would say (north to south) Jasper, Banff and Waterton are places at the top of the list.

Obst

May 30, 2012
Cologne
Maybe - but entering international (overseas) credit card info, phone number, address, etc. might be a challenge.

Thanks for your responses, Stewie and BVicious. I will try to contact the office just to make sure, that I can order tickets form Germany. How is the normal tickets situation on an opener? Is there hope to get tickets or is it sell out in a few minutes after opening the process?
I hope it's possible and the order service opens soon, because my wife is not happy to plan her honeymoon regarding my flames hockey needs. ;)

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

Thanks in advance.

Lethbridge in the winter? You have cojones, mang. Like AH said, mass transit is garbage here, and there are a couple of hotels within a several blocks radius of the Enmax Centre, where the (Lethbridge) Hurricanes play.

Calgary has a pretty decent mass transit system, Motel Village is across the street from one of the stations and will take you to the Stampede Grounds, like AH had sad. Alternatively, there are some hotels on MacLeod Trail in the south part of town that are close to other train stations that also lead to the Stampede Grounds & the Saddledome.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
So I stickied this thread.

And lel at the people wanting to "visit" Red Deer and Lethbridge :laugh:.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So I stickied this thread.

I think the number of people that visit Lethbridge would shock you.

I know it shocks me.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
If you come to Calgary, go to the Palomino Smokehouse if you can, great food, usually some good music. It's downtown right on the Ctrain line as well, so easy to get to

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Thanks in advance.

Calgary has the Car2Go program. If you haven't heard of or seen it, there's basically 300 Smart cars all around the city that are available for anyone's use. You walk up to an available car, swipe your card and you can drive it wherever you want. The car works best just traveling inside the city though. The card is $35, then to drive is $0.13 per minute. You can park them almost anywhere, get out and leave it. Great for getting to a pub or to get groceries and you don't have to deal with public transit. I'm not sure if out of country visitors can get a card, but its worth looking into: https://www.car2go.com/en/calgary/

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Lethbridge in the winter? You have cojones, mang.
Abbotsford too, thanks for the info. I've lived in small towns in West Texas, I know roughly what I'm getting into ... the cold will be shocking, but I certainly don't expect Lethbridge to be Toronto.

Pretty well settled on 1/2 days in EDM, Coyotes/Oil, sleep, bus to Calgary, Coyotes/Flame, sleep, two days in Banff, back to Calgary, Hitmen game, fly home, or something to that effect.

Car2Go sounds like a sweet deal, but I'd really only want a car to get to Red Deer / Banff overnight (or three) not to run errands for a few hours in town.

Speaking of driving, is the 1 between Calgary and Banff drivable enough for an Arizonan? Tourist websites are a little too positive sounding about it. Any horror stories? All I plan to do in Banff is drink and snowboard, so it's not like I really need a car there (do I?). Anyone just recommend the $100CDN round-trip bus ticket from Calgary?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think you'll need a car in Banff, depends where you stay and what you plan to do, I guess.

Immediately after a snow the highway might be a bit dodgy, but after a couple hours the maintenance crews will have been out and should be at least drive-able. Unless it's a crazy snowfall, that is - highway might be temporarily closed in that case.

edge7287

Cop Shoot Cop...
Jan 19, 2012
WPG
I'll be in CGY for a few days in two weeks. As I'm a broke undergrad, what are some very cheap good eats downtown or Macleod Trail? I'll only be taking public transit (which seems to be miles better than the one here in WPG).

As well, interesting places to visit? I can only stay within the city, so cheap/free places to check out would be good as well.

For sure I'll be checking out the Escher exhibit at Glenbow, but that's all I have. (Visiting the malls is probably a given also). Heritage Park and U of C also.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
you like cold long winters? i would much rather have the weekly chinook and clear skies

I get some crazy headaches when I used to live in Calgary when a chinook came. Now, the winters where I am are mild but the summers absolutely suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->