OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Peters Milkshakes are pretty fantastic, their burgers never did it for me though.

Same. Also Peters is no longer under their original ownership and I feel their burgers have gotten worse now. Plenty of better options I find like Smash burger or Carl Jrs now for just chains.

Also if you're in Chinatown please don't tip more than 10%, you'll ruin it for the rest of us lol.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'll also be bringing some snacks to the Draft Party, so you can reveng... I mean recommend some places and foods afterwards for me
With the draft party being in a bar, they won't actually allow outside food or drink.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I was thinking of bringing some candy, I was hoping that’d be ok. Wont be a big loss if not.

MM isn't wrong, but I would be really surprised if they gave you a problem at Schanks about it. Just stick it in a jacket pocket on the way in I am sure you'll be fine.

Funny story actually. Once, in my youth, I sat in Schanks South eating an entire tube of pringles. :laugh:

Reactions: Kahvi

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Same. Also Peters is no longer under their original ownership and I feel their burgers have gotten worse now. Plenty of better options I find like Smash burger or Carl Jrs now for just chains.

Also if you're in Chinatown please don't tip more than 10%, you'll ruin it for the rest of us lol.

Smash Burger is the way to go....

UNA Pizza is also a place I would go for a drink and the Beltline pizza. Its crowded on weekends but you could find a place sitting at the bar and order a 'za and beer. People are pretty friendly there too (general comment)---- 17th AVE on the outskirts of Downtown. 20 minute walk from Saddledome.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Peters Milkshakes are pretty fantastic, their burgers never did it for me though.
The burgers are basically the filler (afterthought) between the shakes & onion rings.

I'm gonna try that if I happen go close by. In general I'm not looking for absolutely best food etc, but rather experiences and kinda local must haves. I'll go to Tim Horton's for sure, just because it's a really Canadian thing, not because I expect to be something really great
Tim Horton's has gone steadily downhill for the last few years and right now the food/coffee is complete garbage, so keep your expectations very, very low. Buy a mug or something for a souvenir because that's still quite Canadian.

Paging @tfong, @Johnny Hoxville , where is the best place to get some Ginger Beef?
Spicy Hut on 4th Street, without question. I will fight anyone who tells me otherwise.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I think I've only been to Silver Inn once in the last 20 years and that was at a post-funeral gathering. And it wasn't one of my relatives' funeral so we only went there out of respect. No thanks.

Spicy hut is awesome. My mom usually picks that place when we want to treat her to dinner.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Silver Dragon on Centre Street N is the birth place of Ginger Beef, so I suggest there.

Paging @tfong, @Johnny Hoxville , where is the best place to get some Ginger Beef?

Lol I'm honestly the worst person to ask since I don't eat Ginger Beef.

I'd say the higher the ratio of Caucasians in the restaurant to Asians, the better the ginger beef is. So just take a quick peek in the window to see what the clientele ratio looks like.

Reactions: Method Man

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not really a fan of Big Cheese. I prefer Alberta King of Subs myself but you gotta go into the hood for that so it's out of the way. You can pretty much get poutine anywhere so you may as well try it. They even have it over at Big T's by your hotel, though I've never tried it myself.

Funny thing about poutine, a coworker of mine is from Quebec and he was telling me when he first came to Calgary many, many years ago, he was shocked at how popular it was over here cause back in Quebec it was typically regarded as poor people food they eat after a late night of drinking. He found it so odd that we glamourized and held it in such high regard over in the west haha

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Funny thing about poutine, a coworker of mine is from Quebec and he was telling me when he first came to Calgary many, many years ago, he was shocked at how popular it was over here cause back in Quebec it was typically regarded as poor people food they eat after a late night of drinking. He found it so odd that we glamourized and held it in such high regard over in the west haha

I think this has happened with a lot of foods in the last 10 (or 20?) years. People are starting to appreciate the simpler things they had when they were younger. Not a bad thing at all

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If you like french fries, gravy, and cheese (sometimes its cheese curds, sometimes just regular shredded cheese) all at the same time, or would like to try them all at the same time, then yes, you should try it.

Not sure if I like them all, because I'm pretty sure I've never had cheese curds before. We just don't have that here. It's just like sour cream, we don't have the exactly same thing; just something somewhat similar with less fat% and russian style smetana which is really heavy at around 35% fat.

Same thing goes for different cuts of beef. I like to watch cooking & travel programs (No reservations by Anthony Bourdain is my favourite) and I can tell that while I understand what part of the cow they are eating, I would't be able to get here from general store. From a butcher probably yes.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The most underrated burger joint for an out-of-country-er has to be Harveys. No idea why they're always closing down, I prefer them over all the big and niche chains or pub burgers. Love their poutines too.

Reactions: Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I know poutine is more of a Quebec thing, but is it worth trying out in Calgary

Meh.
Best poutine in Calgary, is actually like an hour outside of Calgary in Canmore (on the Exshaw side).

Not a lot of places simplify their poutine, everyone wants to add like 500 different toppings and ingredients in there.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Meh.
Best poutine in Calgary, is actually like an hour outside of Calgary in Canmore (on the Exshaw side).

Not a lot of places simplify their poutine, everyone wants to add like 500 different toppings and ingredients in there.
I guess it depends if you're sober or not. Nothing beats a Fajita Chicken Poutine with guac, sour cream and salsa after a couple pints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad