OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
There's a good chance that I'll be going to the Panthers game on March 30 (1pm game). Anyone let me know if you want to meet "The Legend" (snicker) and we can try to work it out. If not, fine but your loss. :laugh:
This offer still stands! I will be available before, during and after the game. Please don't confuse this with John Wensink challenging the North Stars bench. :laugh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I've never found Boston "bad" at any time, at least for a major city. Rush hour is horrible traffic-wise, but that's about the only "bad" I can think of.

Oh, and the T in snow. That's bad. Very bad.

As to game day at Fenway, nothing can be bad where there are Sausage Guy sausage sandwiches. Sausage Guy sandwiches make everything good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've never found Boston "bad" at any time, at least for a major city. Rush hour is horrible traffic-wise, but that's about the only "bad" I can think of.

As to game day at Fenway, nothing can be bad where there are Sausage Guy sausage sandwiches. Sausage Guy sandwiches make everything good.
with you there, been to Boston likely 100 times or more however, I need to point out, while I`ve driven to Boston and/or rented a car, I`ve often just left my wheels at whatever hotel we were staying at as I have found the T line to be great for getting around

Reactions: Fenway

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Back in my youth when I used to go out drinking in the city I would hide a 10 dollar bill from myself in my wallet-opposite back pocket so I could get one after the bar every time I went out.

Now I drink at home like an adult.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
with you there, been to Boston likely 100 times or more however, I need to point out, while I`ve driven to Boston and/or rented a car, I`ve often just left my wheels at whatever hotel we were staying at as I have found the T line to be great for getting around

The biggest issue with driving in Boston is not the traffic but where are you going to park?

I live 2 miles from TD Garden so I will pay $2.25 for a bus/subway which takes 20/30 minutes and a Uber/Lyft home will average about $12 - I'm not paying Papa Jacobs $50 to park. The Red Sox under John Harrington used to issue parking decals for people that worked the games but that ended when John Henry took over.

It is what it is.

Reactions: talkinaway

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The biggest issue with driving in Boston is not the traffic but where are you going to park?

I live 2 miles from TD Garden so I will pay $2.25 for a bus/subway which takes 20/30 minutes and a Uber/Lyft home will average about $12 - I'm not paying Papa Jacobs $50 to park. The Red Sox under John Harrington used to issue parking decals for people that worked the games but that ended when John Henry took over.

It is what it is.

Parking sure does appear to be an issue. Again, it`s essentially what has us always parking at whatever hotel we are at and not use the wheels while we are there.

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
Hey Bruins fans!!! I'm probably the only leafs fan that says this but I look forward to our annual playoff matchup that we seem to be getting! A few questions about the visiting fan experience !

How much do i expect to get chirped (i know it'll come haha)
Any good bars to go pregame?

I'm a HUGE Patriots fan so if you see a guy at the TD Garden with a Pats hat and leafs jersey that is me ! Say hi! (will i get brownie points for that?):laugh:

Hope to make it to a game down in Boston come playoff time!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hey Bruins fans!!! I'm probably the only leafs fan that says this but I look forward to our annual playoff matchup that we seem to be getting! A few questions about the visiting fan experience !

I'm a HUGE Patriots fan so if you see a guy at the TD Garden with a Pats hat and leafs jersey that is me ! Say hi! (will i get brownie points for that?):laugh:

As long as you don't this

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

As far as visiting jerseys, I've never witnessed shenanigans, but there's always someone. Rule of thumb: If you don't mouth off at someone, they won't mouth off at you. If they escalate, don't escalate back. If someone sees you with a Tavares jersey, yeah, they might say, "Hey, pajama boy!", but they're probably not gonna start randomly throwing punches. Unless, of course, you insult St. Patrice.

Yes, you'll get brownie points (and quizzical looks) for the Patriots hat. But...considering Toronto has no NFL team, I guess that makes sense. Definitely a wise choice.

I'm not a huge bar person. I like The Fours - it's sort of a bar/restaurant combo. People seem to like Sullivan's Tap - I've actually *gasp* never been. I think it's cash only? I also think it's changed hands recently, or there was some business about it closing and opening...which kind of surprised me, because with all the word-of-mouth, I figured it'd be popular. Those are both within very easy walking distance. Halftime Pizza is a quick slice-and-beer place that's nearby.

I hope you make it here for the Game 7 of the series!

aguineapig

Have not been to Boston since Dave Barr scored in OT to beat No'diques in 82. Taking Concord bus to Boston from Portland tomorrow to go to Mass General. What would be best way to get from Bus barn to Hospital? Thanks any help would be helpful

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Have not been to Boston since Dave Barr scored in OT to beat No'diques in 82. Taking Concord bus to Boston from Portland tomorrow to go to Mass General. What would be best way to get from Bus barn to Hospital? Thanks any help would be helpful

I'm assuming the "Bus Barn" is South Station - I checked briefly on the Concord Bus site, and that's the only place I saw in Boston besides Logan (which is more of an airplane barn.)

If so, then you can just hop on the T right in South Station. Find signs that lead you in the direction of "Red Line - Alewife", and take it 3 stops from South Station to Charles/MGH.

Red Line | Subway | MBTA

If you're literally just doing one round trip, you can buy a paper Charlie Ticket from a kiosk- you'll want to put on $2.70 for each one-way trip you take, so $5.40 if it's just one back-and-forth. If you're staying here awhile, and you're going to be taking the T back and forth, you can get a Charlie Card - but there are no vending machines, it's all done at ticket booths with people. The card itself is free, and it's tappable on the turnstiles into the T - fares are only $2.25 each way (for now). Honestly, I wouldn't be able to give you precise directions within South Station, and I'm not sure if they have a regular Charlie Card booth in South Station. Not really worth it if you're only here for a single back-and-forth trip. But if you're going to be using the T a lot, you might see if a Charlie Card store is near where you are.

Retail Sales Locations | Fares | MBTA

aguineapig

Thank you should have stated South Station, just going down and back same day, is the Charlie reference for the man who never returned?

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

It shouldn't be too bad but if you are in the 300s, just get in & out of the bathroom. Feel free to engage back in lighthearted banter, but it's the only location in the building I've felt bad for visiting fans (always Montreal fans, but still). Something about a crowded room full of people needing to empty their bladders to replace it with more beer encourages the worst behavior. I've never seen it get physical without back & forth leading up to it, but the ribbing can get hard.

Although the playoffs will likely be a little better. As bad as it is to say, the prices of those tickets will likely price out some of the worst crap starters, and others may be extra cautious about getting an early boot if they dropped $200+ on a playoff ticket.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Although the playoffs will likely be a little better. As bad as it is to say, the prices of those tickets will likely price out some of the worst crap starters, and others may be extra cautious about getting an early boot if they dropped $200+ on a playoff ticket.

Not quite sure I'd agree with this....the playoffs have the potential to bring out the worst in people, even if they've spent $200+ on a ticket. (Especially if they've also spent $200 on beer.) Also, last year, I didn't notice much in terms of beer all over the ground. In the playoffs, at least 3 games in a row, the folks behind me managed to kick their empty beers, creating a river. Money isn't a guarantee of good behavior.

Also, familiarity breeds contempt - by Game 7, many will be sick of whatever team we're playing.

I'm not saying it's the Thunderdome in the Garden - in fact, it's far from that, and 99.99% of the people are genuinely kind to the opposition. That still leaves about a jerk and three quarters every game.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I’ll say it.

I won’t be violent but I will 100% heckle a leafs fan because f*** you

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As far as visiting jerseys, I've never witnessed shenanigans, but there's always someone. Rule of thumb: If you don't mouth off at someone, they won't mouth off at you. If they escalate, don't escalate back. If someone sees you with a Tavares jersey, yeah, they might say, "Hey, pajama boy!", but they're probably not gonna start randomly throwing punches. Unless, of course, you insult St. Patrice.

Yes, you'll get brownie points (and quizzical looks) for the Patriots hat. But...considering Toronto has no NFL team, I guess that makes sense. Definitely a wise choice.

I'm not a huge bar person. I like The Fours - it's sort of a bar/restaurant combo. People seem to like Sullivan's Tap - I've actually *gasp* never been. I think it's cash only? I also think it's changed hands recently, or there was some business about it closing and opening...which kind of surprised me, because with all the word-of-mouth, I figured it'd be popular. Those are both within very easy walking distance. Halftime Pizza is a quick slice-and-beer place that's nearby.

I hope you make it here for the Game 7 of the series!
he`ll be taking a tour of an empty TD, series over in 6 in Toronto with fans tossing their PJ`s at Tavares :laugh:

Reactions: talkinaway

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hello, Boston HFers!

I'm planning a trip to Boston this summer (first week of September). We just got the Airbnb booked, so I'm already planning by making a list of stuff on Google Maps. :laugh:

Absolutely stoked to check out the city. Always been right at the top of my list of cities to visit, but just haven't made it happen until now.

We're staying in Little Italy, a couple blocks away from the Old North Church. What's the Boston beer scene like? Any cool breweries that should be on my radar to check out? We won't have a vehicle, so they have to be ones within walking distance, public transit, or a reasonable Uber.

Also, we get in town the day that the Red Sox start a 4 game series with the Yankees. While I don't think we're going to go to Fenway for a game, would there be a cool/fun bar in particular to go watch the game at and cheer on the Red Sox? Or is the answer simply "any of them"? Lol. I'm hoping both teams are in a battle for the AL East, and that it'll be an intense series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->