Proposal: Virtanen for Jost

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Don't think you're gonna find any Avs fans in favour of this. Jost has been great this season even if his stat sheet doesn't show it. He's been by far out best PKer and is a big reason why the Avs PK is 1st in the league.

As it happens Jost just had a fantastic game tonight, with 1 goal and 5 shots in 14:43 TOI (6th among Avs forwards) and a team high 77.78 CF%.

If that wasn't enough also consider that Jost's caphit is $1.676m less than Virtanen. With Avs cap situation that alone could probably rule out this trade, as they need as much space as possible to make Makar's bonus count against this years cap instead of rolling over into next year.

Reactions: Patagonia

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
May be something with Compher?
Gaudette ,Sutter(Avs need C ) or Virtanen

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Considering what a whipping boy Jost has been around here in the past, it makes sense that it would take a while for perception around here to catch up with his play this season. And I don’t think it’s an unfair offer at all.

That said, as has been expressed, Jost has absolutely found and filled a quite valuable role for the Avs this year. While high offensive value games like last night have still been a rarity (partially him being limited to a 4th line most of the year, partially just that his offensive game has been a black hole more nights than not still) - his role defensively and as PK standout on a great PK has seen him go from afterthought to rather important.

I couldn’t say it any better than @Richard88 ...add in his low cost, versatility and occasional glimpses of something plus offensively and I’d say he’s edging into that “value to the team is more than his (still limited) value in a trade” kinda territory.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Laughably bad.

Why would the Avs take an additional 1.5M in cap space for this year AND next year to get a player just as useless as Jost?

I'm fact give Josts emergence as a solid PK guy this year he's probably a better player than Virtanen at this point.

Unless a high pick is coming with Virtanen Colorado certainly doesn't want him.

Reactions: Richard88

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
VAN: VIRTANEN
COL: JOST

what do yall think?
Hard no from the Avs. Jost is an elite PK forward. Great defensively and cheap. Virtanan is a more expensive bottom six forward that is older and has no above average skills or uses. I’d only trade JT Compher for Virtanan.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Laughably bad.

Why would the Avs take an additional 1.5M in cap space for this year AND next year to get a player just as useless as Jost?

I'm fact give Josts emergence as a solid PK guy this year he's probably a better player than Virtanen at this point.

Unless a high pick is coming with Virtanen Colorado certainly doesn't want him.

Not that I'm saying it's a good trade, but Virtanen was on pace for 21 goals and 43 points last season. He's a great skater with a good shot, just low IQ and is streaky/has motivational issues. And to be fair to Virtanen, the whole team is struggling this year so I don't think it's the best representation of the type of player he is.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Jost is finally improving, but in a defensive role. Offensively near useless. Virtanen is more costly and seems completely lost. Rumoured trade: Virtanen + 1st for Barrie was rejected by Sakic.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Jost is finally improving, but in a defensive role. Offensively near useless. Virtanen is more costly and seems completely lost. Rumoured trade: Virtanen + 1st for Barrie was rejected by Sakic.

I don't know if I'd call him useless offensively, even though his numbers don't reflect it. Last night, he put himself in a good spot, got a good shot off, and got robbed by Raanta. Had a couple of other really good chances with his hard work down low, but just couldn't get the puck to go in. And that's seemingly been the case the last couple of games. Hopefully, actually scoring a goal last night will help "open the flood gates", for lack of a better term, and he'll show up on the score sheet more often.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I doubt the Canucks would do it and watch Virtanen BLOSSOM on the Aves and in return only get back a guy with 2 pts on the season on a DOMINANT Aves team. No thanks

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Virtanen has been Green's whipping boy for a while. Seems to be the guy he shifts up and down to send a message to the rest of the team. Virtanen needs a more direct coach like Tortorella or Trotz or something imo. My persistent concern with Virtanen is that the second we trade him, he is going to pop off. It feels like a guarantee that he immediately turns into a 30 goal scorer for another team and that is why Canucks fans are always hesitant to trade him for anything but a player with upside coming back (rather than for a true grinder with no pedigree)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I doubt the Canucks would do it and watch Virtanen BLOSSOM on the Aves and in return only get back a guy with 2 pts on the season on a DOMINANT Aves team. No thanks
If Virtanan were going to blossom, that would have happened by now. He’s a bust.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Would rather keep Jost. Great fourth line defensive player. Virtanen is a healthy scratch making too much money.

If the Avs don't want Jost they can waive him.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs would pursue “busts” after a buyout. So they might be interested, just waiting for VAN to let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad