Vinny Lecavelier not at practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
Schenn was a #1D stud that warranted JVR before the trade...

You sure about that? Cause Toronto fans are singing a different tune, thats for sure. And isn't JVR injured again? But we can call that 1 player I guess, if you really want to..... And I don't really think an kid with an injury history that he had would land you a #1 dman, Don't believe he was ever projected as such. But I may be wrong with that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You sure about that? Cause Toronto fans are singing a different tune, thats for sure. And isn't JVR injured again? But we can call that 1 player I guess, if you really want to.....

No, JVR is fine. Kessel might be injured though. Schenn definitely declined, he wasn't a stud #1D by any means, but - after next year Schenn is a FA. Do the Flyers even re-sign him at the current cap hit or let him walk?

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
What happened to him? He's gotten progressively worse since 2006-2007 how the hell can someone consistently do worse and worse year after year...

I think his 2 big years were the aberrations, he was a "pretty good" player his first 7 years in the league, killed it for 2 years, and then went back to "pretty good" - he has spent the entirety of his career, minus two years, and someone who has been severely overpaid.

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
No, JVR is fine. Kessel might be injured though. Schenn definitely declined, he wasn't a stud #1D by any means, but - after next year Schenn is a FA. Do the Flyers even re-sign him at the current cap hit or let him walk?

I'm not really sure what he is making, but he isn't as bad as alot here would have you believe. So, I think they would resign him at #3 or #4 dman $$$. Whatever the heck that is :P

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Yeah, name some who have? Lecavalier was clearly on the downside of his career, Umberger? Was he any good Pre-Flyers recently? Jagr did just fine, Streit is looking good. Simmonds, B.Schenn, Voracek ALL look really good. Pronger? Timmonen? MDZ and Streit look BETTER then they have in recent years,So I really have no ****ing clue who you are talking about... Bryzgalov??

Thank god that Cleary deal fell through. Can you imagine what the league would look like if Dan had wasted his talents in Philly?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What happened to him? He's gotten progressively worse since 2006-2007 how the hell can someone consistently do worse and worse year after year...

If they have bad practice and conditioning habits, it's reasonable to see a player get worse and worse as they approach and pass 30. Also, there might be more wear and tear on the body as they get older.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If they have bad practice and conditioning habits, it's reasonable to see a player get worse and worse as they approach and pass 30. Also, there might be more wear and tear on the body as they get older.

A while back on TSN radio they talked about Yzerman talking to Rick Nash about how everything changes around 30. All the things you used to get away with, you can't get away with anymore. As a TBL fan, I can't help but think conditioning and work ethic is a huge factor in Vinny's regression. I get that he had injuries to overcome, particularly the Cooke incident, and there's no doubt that those took their toll and he was never going to be the same. But I don't think they caused the steady decline that we've seen in the last few years.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Vinny has more left than some think. He just doesn't fit in Berube's system.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Flyers are going to weasel their way out of this one

no, that only happens with NJ.:sarcasm:
In all seriousness he deserves to be scratched. I am just shocked the Flyers actually did it. its out of the ordinary for them to scratch a vet on a big contract who is stinking up the place.
He sure as **** isn't endearing himself to anyone in Philly with the *****ing and moaning. I get that he is a proud guy and all but he has been brutal this year. He has been healthy as well so he has no excuses.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
A while back on TSN radio they talked about Yzerman talking to Rick Nash about how everything changes around 30. All the things you used to get away with, you can't get away with anymore. As a TBL fan, I can't help but think conditioning and work ethic is a huge factor in Vinny's regression. I get that he had injuries to overcome, particularly the Cooke incident, and there's no doubt that those took their toll and he was never going to be the same. But I don't think they caused the steady decline that we've seen in the last few years.

But what is scary is Vinny said he worked out hard over the summer this year. Plus, right now, he believes he is playing well....and that is a massive issue. He doesn't understand why his minutes went down.

He can't see that he has made EVERY player worse in Philly. And that is just a statement. The poster Appleyard showed how EVERY player is worse with Vinny. Even Rinaldo.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

I think his 2 big years were the aberrations, he was a "pretty good" player his first 7 years in the league, killed it for 2 years, and then went back to "pretty good" - he has spent the entirety of his career, minus two years, and someone who has been severely overpaid.

Yeah, I agree that given his size and skills, his statistical profile is very strange. You're left wondering about what he could have done.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But what is scary is Vinny said he worked out hard over the summer this year. Plus, right now, he believes he is playing well....and that is a massive issue. He doesn't understand why his minutes went down.

He can't see that he has made EVERY player worse in Philly. And that is just a statement. The poster Appleyard showed how EVERY player is worse with Vinny. Even Rinaldo.

The only player I've ever seen admit to not working out hard over the summer is Phil Kessel, and that's usually tongue in cheek. But Vinny's never had a reputation as the proverbial "last guy off the ice" at practice etc. And I think it's too big of a coincidence that his career has had the basic trajectory of a guy who played in the 80s, when conditioning wasn't at the forefront of most players' minds.

As to the other stuff, Vinny's a proud guy, and if nothing else, I think he wants there to be some team in the league (...on his list of preferred teams) willing to let him play for at least one more year so he can cash in on his bonus money. And who knows, maybe he just feels like he doesn't fit in with Philly but would fit in on other teams.

It's sad that this is the way it's ending for Vinny. But I can't say it's all that surprising. Jeff O'Neill once said Vinny followed Marty St. Louis everywhere but to the weight room...

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
So glad he picked Philly over Stl. He looks like hot garbage on the ice but thinks he's playing good? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad