Vinny Lecavalier

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Lecavalier

I can't find the lecavilier discussion topic

Anyways he was a very healthy scratch tonight

And I just want to put out a friendly reminder how Yzerman had the grit and wisdom to go against Lightning fan base and let this guy go. I mean think about where this team would be right now with the salary cap and who they would have not signed since they let him go.

Here is a sample of Philly Fan

Speaking his peace tonight about Lecavilier.

Please get rid of him hexy

I think Lecavalier is probably the most disliked player on the Flyers in their history!
I don't know one single Flyers fan who supports this guy. He was not a fan favourite from the time he was mistakenly signed, but now he's unversally detested!

Thank you Paul Holmgren!

This is not about ragging on Lecavilier this is about praising Stevie.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I thought Vinny was done before he was even let go here in Tampa. Kudos to him for getting another decent contract before he hangs up the skates. That shoulder injury killed him. He was/is slow and didn't play well on D. He's still ok on the PP but that's about it. Yzerman made the right move. I wish Vinny the best and hope he can come work for the Lightning in some capacity. He deserves to retire from hockey as a member of the Lightning.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's hard to say how things would've worked out for him and the team if we didn't buy him out. We surely wouldn't have signed Filpulla but I think Vinny could bring the same production. Obviously the cap difference is big and paying Vinny 7.5 to be a 3C is awful. The team is definitely better off because we bought him out but I think Vinny would've been more effective if he stayed too. Being bought out was the final nail for him and I do think he cared anymore after that. His production could've maintained around a 50-60 point player here, would've hit 500 goals which would lead him to the HOF.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The youngsters here would've largely covered up his lack of speed. I'm just amazed he seems to have lost all his weapons. How does a shoulder or wrist injury make you slow?:laugh:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's hard to say how things would've worked out for him and the team if we didn't buy him out. We surely wouldn't have signed Filpulla but I think Vinny could bring the same production. Obviously the cap difference is big and paying Vinny 7.5 to be a 3C is awful. The team is definitely better off because we bought him out but I think Vinny would've been more effective if he stayed too. Being bought out was the final nail for him and I do think he cared anymore after that. His production could've maintained around a 50-60 point player here, would've hit 500 goals which would lead him to the HOF.

He might have put up similar offensive numbers to Flip (and in fact did the preceding seasons), but Flip gives us much better D and a good option on the PK, as well as better possession. Vinny was spending half the game hanging around the blueline waiting for a breakaway pass that he would certainly not convert.

I love Vinny, and can't wait to see his #4 in the rafters, but we're a better team without him.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The move was more about $ than any other factors, but I didn't think his play would drop off so much as what's being said now since last year. He did still score 20 last season. Actually he's scored 20 goals every single season since his rookie year, minus the 2013 half season (10 goals in 39 games). It really sucks to see him at such a low point in his pro career. I really hope this isn't it for him just yet. If retirement is right around the corner for him, I hope he signs one of those 1 day contracts with us, like Modano did with Dallas. Come back home Vinny.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Going to Philly was a huge mistake. Apparently the choice was on his wife. I could have seen him on the Stars or Panthers, but not in the Flyers circus. Come home Vinny. We love you.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He might have put up similar offensive numbers to Flip (and in fact did the preceding seasons), but Flip gives us much better D and a good option on the PK, as well as better possession. Vinny was spending half the game hanging around the blueline waiting for a breakaway pass that he would certainly not convert.

I love Vinny, and can't wait to see his #4 in the rafters, but we're a better team without him.

Vinny is underrated defensively, he was really good for a few seasons but he's so much better offensively that he would only focus on that. Filpulla helps with his defensive play but he's nothing special. Like I said the team is better because of it but it's more because of the cap savings that allowed us to get better defenders then replacing him with Filpulla.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Going to Philly was a huge mistake. Apparently the choice was on his wife. I could have seen him on the Stars or Panthers, but not in the Flyers circus. Come home Vinny. We love you.

Let them keep half his cap hit... then let him play 1 season here and retire. That' be nice.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Let them keep half his cap hit... then let him play 1 season here and retire. That' be nice.

Have them retain 1.5 and take Morrow, then it's essentially a straight swap for us cap wise. Vinny always beasts in the playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Vinny is underrated defensively, he was really good for a few seasons but he's so much better offensively that he would only focus on that. Filpulla helps with his defensive play but he's nothing special. Like I said the team is better because of it but it's more because of the cap savings that allowed us to get better defenders then replacing him with Filpulla.

He was good from 2010-2013 and he got really great at faceoffs during that time too, then he goes to the Flyers and isn't great at either.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'm with the fellow posters. Though I'm not sure if I want to eat that salary for that long. Even at 50 percent retained. I would love for Vinny to replace Morrow though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm with the fellow posters. Though I'm not sure if I want to eat that salary for that long. Even at 50 percent retained. I would love for Vinny to replace Morrow though.

I wouldn't, Morrow is probably faster and much more physical than Vinny is, as much as we love him, be brings nothing to this team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't, Morrow is probably faster and much more physical than Vinny is, as much as we love him, be brings nothing to this team.

The only thing Morrow brings over Vinny is physicality. Vinny with Boyle and Paquette would be a lethal 4th line. He knows how to score which Morrow can barely do.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bad news for VL4, the reason he wore 4 died today.

1/2 the reason. His father liked Bobby Orr and his grandfather liked Jean Beliveau.

For anyone who saw "The Rocket," a movie about the life of Maurice Richard, Vinny was in it as a young Beliveau.

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128

Agreed. I'm all for moving forward and growing attached to new players. Vinny was great for us... ten years ago. Time to move on.

That said, I'd love to see him come home and retire here. Maybe do some color commentary if he was interested. But on the ice? Nope.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Don't want Vinny back as a player except for maybe a 1 game retirement deal. Would love to have him back in any other capacity.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's too bad Lecavalier got such a big deal out of Philadelphia for such term. I suppose in the real world the money is great for him and his family, but if it had been a shorter or smaller deal, it would have been nice to have seen Lecavalier return to Tampa to play a smaller role on the team he should never have left.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Don't want Vinny back as a player except for maybe a 1 game retirement deal. Would love to have him back in any other capacity.

Agreed. Berube recently questioned Vinny's work ethic, and there've been rumors about it for years. He's just not a fit here right now. Let him do the 1 day deal after he retires as a thank you, but the sad truth is he would make us a worse team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad