Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier bought out | signed with Philly (5 years, $4.5M cap hit, full NMC)

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I think we should re sign Sami . He is still a useful 3rd pairing and still has his cannon for the PP.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Love Vinny but we are WAY too loaded at center to bring him back. Johnson, Stamkos, Filppula, Namestnikov.... hell they're even talking about Drouin doing it. All the best Vinny you were one of the greats til you kept getting hurt every year.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I don't think Salo is a good fit for us right now. He could bring some solid vet presence to an otherwise sturdy defensive system, but our defense has too many holes to risk him going (further) off a cliff next season.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"who wants vinny?"

"The Philadelphia Flyers remain stymied in their efforts to move center Vincent Lecavalier. CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio late last week reported Flyers GM Ron Hextall continued to talk with clubs, even revisiting discussions with the Nashville Predators. He cited a source claiming the Flyers were only willing to absorb $1 million annually of Lecavalier’s contract, while teams Hextall spoke to want him to pick up more.

..Panaccio’s colleague John Boruk believes a Lecavalier trade will come down to how much of the center’s contract the Flyers are willing to absorb.

Boruk notes Lecavalier was paid his $2-million bonus on July 1, meaning the 34-year-old center is owed $14 million in actual salary (minus bonuses) over the remaining four years of his contract. Under the terms of the CBA, the Flyers can pick up half of that, meaning Hextall would have to agree to take back $1.75 million annually over the remaining term.

Even that might not be enough. Rival GMs know Hextall wants to dump Lecavalier’s salary and will squeeze him to include a pick, prospect or player in the return.

If Hextall cannot find a trade partner, his other option is buying out Lecavalier’s contract at two-thirds the remaining value over twice the remaining tenure. According to capgeek.com, the cap hit is $1.5 million in the first year, $3 million in years two and three, $2.5 million in year four, then dropping to $1 million for each of the final four years."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-better-fit-for-red-wings-green-myers-or-petry/

On the positive side Vinny has $98,073,808 career earnings on file- http://www.capgeek.com/player/884

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What's the source for that? Because it seems if they're confusing cap hit and salary to the point where I can't follow what the hell it is saying.

Edit: also, him being bought out would be objectively hilarious. Has a player ever been paid by three teams at the same time?

Off Center

Jun 9, 2009
it's kind of funny how at every stage of his career expectations for vinny have been set at an unreasonable level. as a draft pick he was saddled with the "MJ of hockey" as the bar for success and given a C as a teenager. Then very late in his prime, he was given a deal even stamkos would struggle to justify that paid him like an elite player into his late 30s. now in his twilight the flyers were blinded to the decline in speed and ability to the point that they paid him like the certain top 6 center he once was. he's had a darn good career and yet aside from a couple transcendent stretches in the first half of the 2000s he was always struggling to live up to expectations

some day, he will be on a contract that allows him to be appreciated as a 2 way forward who can play all situations and produce in limited ice time, which is what he ought to be as he rides off into the NHL sunset

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
it's kind of funny how at every stage of his career expectations for vinny have been set at an unreasonable level. as a draft pick he was saddled with the "MJ of hockey" as the bar for success and given a C as a teenager. Then very late in his prime, he was given a deal even stamkos would struggle to justify that paid him like an elite player into his late 30s. now in his twilight the flyers were blinded to the decline in speed and ability to the point that they paid him like the certain top 6 center he once was. he's had a darn good career and yet aside from a couple transcendent stretches in the first half of the 2000s he was always struggling to live up to expectations

some day, he will be on a contract that allows him to be appreciated as a 2 way forward who can play all situations and produce in limited ice time, which is what he ought to be as he rides off into the NHL sunset

That really wasn't what he was when he was here.

Vinny's issue with expectations is he started failing, physically, at least a few years before he should have. 32 is not an old man, and yet Vinny, at 32, was already a shadow of his former self.

I find it weird that Philly's having so many issues dealing that contract though. Given what we saw on July 1, $4.5 for a 20 goal scorer seems pretty reasonable.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
I find it weird that Philly's having so many issues dealing that contract though. Given what we saw on July 1, $4.5 for a 20 goal scorer seems pretty reasonable.

Hextall has no leverage with the other GMs. No one wants to help the Flyers out of their cap problem without getting some salary picked up or a pick/prospect as well.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hextall has no leverage with the other GMs. No one wants to help the Flyers out of their cap problem without getting some salary picked up or a pick/prospect as well.

That makes sense for sure, except I would think a team like Nashville would eat the salary just to have another 20 goal scorer on the roster. To hear that they're squabbling about retained dollars is a bit baffling to me. There aren't many teams who would really benefit from picking up VL right now, but Nashville can get him without giving up an asset right now. Seems low-risk/high-reward.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
That makes sense for sure, except I would think a team like Nashville would eat the salary just to have another 20 goal scorer on the roster. To hear that they're squabbling about retained dollars is a bit baffling to me. There aren't many teams who would really benefit from picking up VL right now, but Nashville can get him without giving up an asset right now. Seems low-risk/high-reward.

Since the Flyers forced the Preds to overpay Weber I doubt they will be generousin ttheir offer for VLC

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Since the Flyers forced the Preds to overpay Weber I doubt they will be generousin ttheir offer for VLC

That's an excellent point - forgot about that.

Plus, Laviolette no doubt likes watching the Flyers off season roster building be at a standstill until they give NSH the terms they are looking for.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yup, forgot about that too. It's really the only reason I can think of why they don't just take that contract off Philly's hands. Definitely an interesting thought.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
With Fisher being out 4-6 months, if they are going to make a trade for Vinny, now would be the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad