Vinny for Briere straight up?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If that's the ONLY offer on the table for Lecavalier, I'd take it, but I'd rather take a late pick than have $4m being held hostage on our cap. And I think we can get a pick at the very least.

So I don't know how to answer here.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I wanted to gauge if people really thought Vinny's failures were due to an injury by giving them a difficult option. Hopefully we'll see.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I wanted to gauge if people really thought Vinny's failures were due to an injury by giving them a difficult option. Hopefully we'll see.

To be fair, there are people (such as myself) who don't believe Vinny is done or useless. His start to the season was encouraging, and injuries certainly derailed him-- it's just a matter of fit. He just has no role on this team.

So people either believe that he's an awful player now or that he just had a bad year but doesn't fit on the team. So no matter which camp you're in, you want him out.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This should be very easily yes for just about anyone I think. Briere has one year left at four mil. Lecavalier has four years left at 4.5 mil. Briere has a one year contract at this point at a lower cap hit. Lecavalier just flat-out has a bad contract that it would either take work to get rid of. Hextall wants Lecavalier out and Lecavalier is open to that if the team is right so it's not as if we have a reason to hold on to him at all anymore.

With that said it won't happen though. The Flyers bought out Briere, they're not going to go and trade for him a year later. It just looks bad, is an awkward situation, and doesn't make a ton of sense.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I voted no but didn't realize Briere's contract situation. So I would change my vote to yes. Although I think I would rather get a draft pick for Vinny if possible.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Vinny very well could bounce back. But back issues at his age are troubling. If he had any other sort of issue I'd be more willing to give him another shot, but I'm really wary of the guy at this point.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Vinny very well could bounce back. But back issues at his age are troubling. If he had any other sort of issue I'd be more willing to give him another shot, but I'm really wary of the guy at this point.

Whoa! Never thought I'd hear you say that 30+ year old could bounce back!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's because you have a fundamental misunderstanding of our stance on older players?

I'd say it is more likely because whenever I suggest a veteran will have a bounce back year, it is scoffed at by many posters (even in the Phillies thread).

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
There's a reason players Vinnys age don't get expected to bounce back. It's because they lose durability often enough and the signs of regression are usually more clear. It's an old age for hockey.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Vinny struggled from injuries I'm sure but given his recent injury history, the fact that he's got 4 yrs left and that he doesn't fit the team very well this is an easy yes for me.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd say it is more likely because whenever I suggest a veteran will have a bounce back year, it is scoffed at by many posters (even in the Phillies thread).

It's one thing if it's someone like Briere who is clearly declining naturally. Vinny's down year was very clearly caused by an injury. It's possible that he will be healthier and improve relative to what we saw, but I wouldn't expect him to be fantastic. Since it's a back injury and he's no spring chicken, it's also possible he won't improve much.

It all depends on the situation. Perhaps you are just supporting older players in a poor situation.

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe
Briere easily. Shorter contract, does **** in the playoffs, and was put in a worse position than Vinny as far as ice-time, zone starts, and quality of competition last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad