News Article: Vinik: Lightning are no longer operating in the red

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Thanks to the cap, these teams are existing otherwise the fanbase its not sustainable yet. Make no bones about it, the league's plan to grow the game south are what the cap is all about. Add revenue sharing and it's a no lose situation. Before the game started on SN they mentioned Montreal just celebrated it's 500 the straight sellout for hockey at the Bell Centre. Two teams in opposite parts of the league in every way yet are so close competitively.

Congratiolations. Might wanna check how long Tampa is selling out straighz? Gotta be around 0.2 games or so I guess.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Thanks to the cap, these teams are existing otherwise the fanbase its not sustainable yet. Make no bones about it, the league's plan to grow the game south are what the cap is all about. Add revenue sharing and it's a no lose situation. Before the game started on SN they mentioned Montreal just celebrated it's 500 the straight sellout for hockey at the Bell Centre. Two teams in opposite parts of the league in every way yet are so close competitively.

Your misunderstanding of the situation is not surprising and its expected. Here is a link that will help you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Mrk2mowd0

The Lightning over the past 4 years has put between $60-$80 million in arena improvements mostly in private money from Vinik's own back pocket as the previous ownership group largely neglected the facility and badly ran the club. That Vinik is close to being on the black after such a large investment is outstanding. Fan support is at such a high that High School hockey is extremely popular with 16 high schools in the area fielding teams and the National High School Champion was our own Mitchell High School which went to Colorado and won the National HIgh School Championship. Additionally the Travel team Scorpions have been National Champions like what ... 3 times in the past three years in the U14 and U16 age groups and they travel Internationally to Finland / Sweden, etc. and compete on an International basis in tournaments. Its tier II hockey ... but I'd bet they do well in tier I if there was more competition close by since they are coached by ex-Lightning players and staff.

Also finishing the Ice Forum in North Tampa ... what is that like 5 - 7 extra rinks, two mini sized rinks for the tiny hockey players all the way up to Olympic sized rinks. That is to complement ... what like 5 other facilities in the area that support East, South, Central, and West. If you live in Tampa you have a hockey rink to play in from 3 years old until death within 20 minutes travel time. And if you want ice ... there are what 15 to 20 total ice surfaces to play on with leagues running.

Yeah dude ... hockey is not only alive in well in this market - its thriving. You just need to pay closer attention. Fact is ... how many big league teams does Montreal support? While in Tampa we have what 4 professional teams (Rays, Bucs, Lightning, and Rowdies). Kudos to Montreal that only has 1 sport to support (I don't even know if the Impact are supported well before Drogba showed up) ... while our area supports and develops athletes at the highest levels in just about every sport imaginable. I won't go into much detail ... but you get the picture. No need to stop and tell us about "hockey market" and the northern teams supporting the Lightning. Fact is ... the draft and 7 years of team control is what keeps parity in the league not the CAP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad