Value of: Vince Dunn

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Maybe you're confusing Vince Dunn for Vincent Dunn?

Vincent Dunn at eliteprospects.com

Vince Dunn is an RFA, and is a good player.

Not confusing him.

Vince Dunn is an Offensive Dman, whos bad in his own zone. AND, ANY gm acquiring him needs to either protect him (therefore lose a playr they may not want to SEA) or expose him to SEA.

If I were Habs GM, I ain't giving a 1st for Dunn, considering Chiarot, Edmundson, Weber, Petry are all better or somewhat similar level of d-man... Hell not sur I'm giving a 2nd if it means i'm losing Chiarot or Edmundson to SEA... 2nd + Edmundson is WAYYY to much to give for Dunn

Reactions: HabsAddict

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Not confusing him.

Vince Dunn is an Offensive Dman, whos bad in his own zone. AND, ANY gm acquiring him needs to either protect him (therefore lose a playr they may not want to SEA) or expose him to SEA.

If I were Habs GM, I ain't giving a 1st for Dunn, considering Chiarot, Edmundson, Weber, Petry are all better or somewhat similar level of d-man... Hell not sur I'm giving a 2nd if it means i'm losing Chiarot or Edmundson to SEA... 2nd + Edmundson is WAYYY to much to give for Dunn
You just argued that you don’t think Seattle will take him because Francis doesn’t like bad players, and now you’re arguing that a team shouldn’t trade for him because that team will have to protect him or expose him...

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
If ypu don't want to pay for his quality then don't. Blues can just hold onto him and let him develop further.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You just argued that you don’t think Seattle will take him because Francis doesn’t like bad players, and now you’re arguing that a team shouldn’t trade for him because that team will have to protect him or expose him...

Well why give a qst eound pick for 20 games of a bad dman that you'll either lose to SEA, or protect in order to "save face" and lose another one of your dman.

He's worth MAYBE a low 2nd, or a 3rd + reclam project. Blues fans are out to lunch if they think Dunn fetches a 1st or 2 x 2nd

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Well why give a qst eound pick for 20 games of a bad dman that you'll either lose to SEA, or protect in order to "save face" and lose another one of your dman.

He's worth MAYBE a low 2nd, or a 3rd + reclam project. Blues fans are out to lunch if they think Dunn fetches a 1st or 2 x 2nd
Dude he is worth two seconds or late first end of story. Just because you can't protect him doesn't lower his value. Geez the people on here are out of thier minds.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

He is on pace for 29 30 points (82 game season) and he is not as bad defensively as you and everyone make shim out to be. Please provide stats that show how bad he is. For fans that don't actually watch the west division you sure think you know it all lol

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For the right price, we can pair him with Weber. But here is the problem, as Weber get's older, he's not able to cover his partners gaffs. If anything, pairing him with Edmy/Chiarot would be better...but it's the wrong wing and defeats the purpose of getting him.

I haven't watched enough of Dunn to form an opinion. If he is bottom 6 or NHL/AHL tweener defensively, which sounds like it, any offense he brings has to be offset by his gaffs, so a net zero benefit. If he's acceptable defensively with the occasional brain cramp AND his offense is top 2, sure. Top 4, sure. Top 6, PASS.

All depends on the whole package AND our needs. Is he better overall then Chiarot of Edmy? Some say yes, others no.....I'm getting splinters from sitting on the fence.....

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dunn's been too sheltered to be bad in his own zone. He's an analytics darling actually; but mostly because of his usage. He's not that bad defensively, but his attribute-slider is definitely set higher on offense than defense.

Where would you put him on the "top" scale?

Top 4 offense and bottom 6th-7th on defense? Playing with Weber, where we need him, he's going to see top minutes and has to be better on defense then offense.

He simply can't be gaff prone and certainly wont be sheltered playing with Weber. ...so that is why I think it's a no go for the Habs.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Where would you put him on the "top" scale?

Top 4 offense and bottom 6th-7th on defense? Playing with Weber, where we need him, he's going to see top minutes and has to be better on defense then offense.

He simply can't be gaff prone and certainly wont be sheltered playing with Weber. ...so that is why I think it's a no go for the Habs.
Dunn is a top-4 dman both offensively and defensively. Blues fans are just used to a top-4 of Pietrangelo-Bouwmeester Parayko-Scandella for defense. All four of those players are either elite defensively, or good defensively. Dunn is not a guy you task with shutting down an opponent, but he's far from bad defensively. Mersss has no idea what he's talking about; I'm beginning to think that he's the burner account for Kurtis Gabriel.

LimpMellowBagworm-max-1mb.gif

Again, not saying that Dunn WILL get a first, but there's no point in trading him if that means we only end up with a 2nd/3rd and lose both Dunn and Sundqvist.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Again, not saying that Dunn WILL get a first, but there's no point in trading him if that means we only end up with a 2nd/3rd and lose both Dunn and Sundqvist.
We ... could ... use that 2nd/3rd to induce Seattle to take a specific player. Or, we could ... talk to Seattle and see if we can get an idea of who they want to take to know whether we need to strike a deal at all. It's not like if we get a pick back, we have to keep it forever and can't evar trade it anywhere else.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dunn is a top-4 dman both offensively and defensively. Blues fans are just used to a top-4 of Pietrangelo-Bouwmeester Parayko-Scandella for defense. All four of those players are either elite defensively, or good defensively. Dunn is not a guy you task with shutting down an opponent, but he's far from bad defensively. Mersss has no idea what he's talking about; I'm beginning to think that he's the burner account for Kurtis Gabriel.

LimpMellowBagworm-max-1mb.gif

Well.....that's the problem.

Petry has Kulak...and they are a very good pairing. Edmy/Chiarot can slot in there without any loss of defense.

Romanov is playing with Mete...where we could use an upgrade but you can't have two loose canons defensively. Romanov is good, but still raw. Romanov/Dunn will set us on the edge of our seats.....sometimes cheering and sometimes booing....

Weber is paired with Edmy/Chiarot and THAT is where we need an upgrade for Weber. Which by definition means very good defensively and very good offensively. Ekholm comes to mind, but too much to acquire him.

Too many people here make trades based on "this guy is better then that guy" without accounting the intended use of that player.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Dunn is a top-4 dman both offensively and defensively. Blues fans are just used to a top-4 of Pietrangelo-Bouwmeester Parayko-Scandella for defense. All four of those players are either elite defensively, or good defensively. Dunn is not a guy you task with shutting down an opponent, but he's far from bad defensively. Mersss has no idea what he's talking about; I'm beginning to think that he's the burner account for Kurtis Gabriel...

I don't disagree with the general sentiment here, but if you're trying to say that Dunn is far from bad defensively by saying to a Habs fan that Scandella is good defensively, then you're hurting your argument.

And I'd be interested in seeing Montreal acquire Dunn (although certainly not for a 1st or 2 2nds).

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This guy would have been traded already if not for the expansion draft.

I also gotta think this guy is the most sure-fire candidate to sign an offsheet in a long time. He's throwing away his career in St Louis.

Last edited:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Well.....that's the problem.

Petry has Kulak...and they are a very good pairing. Edmy/Chiarot can slot in there without any loss of defense.

Romanov is playing with Mete...where we could use an upgrade but you can't have two loose canons defensively. Romanov is good, but still raw. Romanov/Dunn will set us on the edge of our seats.....sometimes cheering and sometimes booing....

Weber is paired with Edmy/Chiarot and THAT is where we need an upgrade for Weber. Which by definition means very good defensively and very good offensively. Ekholm comes to mind, but too much to acquire him.

Too many people here make trades based on "this guy is better then that guy" without accounting the intended use of that player.
I don't want to trade Dunn to the Canadiens?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
2021 2nd (Tampa bays pick ) and lehkonen for Dunn . Protect petry , edmundson and Dunn . It’s not like Seattle will be jumping at Weber . Dunn can help our powerplay. Why is petry not on the left wing sidewall with his shot . Kk if on the powerplay should be on the other sidewall. That should be Dunn ‘s spot ( right wing side wall )

del17

Dec 26, 2015
Because this is a habs area of weakness Dunn is worth a second on potential alone I would not give higher then that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->