Ville Peltonen

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
soso said:
Why Ville Peltonen didn't play in NHL -league.I think that he is one of the best player in Finish team.

He used to play there but he was too soft in the old NHL and I guess was never given a good chance. He is very skillful player and I'm not surprised if he plays in NHL next year. Though he's getting good paycheck in Switzerland so... let's see.

Last edited:

twelve

May 19, 2005
He's played in the Swiss league for quite a while now and that hasn't stopped him from being the third best scorer of the Finnish team (and fifth best of all players in the tournament). He gets an okay pay, is a teamleader in Lugano, he's good on the big ice, and has other Suomi on his team. And there must be a reason why he left the NHL so early in his career. I don't think he even considers giving the NHL another try.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
He said he's not interested in giving the NHL another try. The guy has got four kids now so a shorter schedule and less travel are more attractive to him than playing in the NHL.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I'm glad that he gets recognition now though...most of the time people have been laughing at the finnish roster like "Ville who??" but when the going gets tough, Ville scores goals. Clutch player if there ever was one.

You do not have to play in the NHL even if you are an NHL level player, most just choose to. Peltonen could do well in todays NHL but I guess he chooses not to.

twelve

May 19, 2005
psycho_dad said:
I'm glad that he gets recognition now though...most of the time people have been laughing at the finnish roster like "Ville who??" but when the going gets tough, Ville scores goals. Clutch player if there ever was one.

True.
Nobody remembers his hattrick that got FIN the world cup gold anymore.

Vers

Feb 26, 2006
twelve said:
True.
Nobody remembers his hattrick that got FIN the world cup gold anymore.

Every Finn, and probably many Swedes remember it. :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
psycho_dad said:

You do not have to play in the NHL even if you are an NHL level player, most just choose to. Peltonen could do well in todays NHL but I guess he chooses not to.

Well, surprisingly a lot of posters from Finland complained about him being on the finnish roster, despite the fact that he always is a force in international tournaments

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
stv11 said:
Well, surprisingly a lot of posters from Finland complained about him being on the finnish roster, despite the fact that he always is a force in international tournaments

Yeah thats true. But people put so much emphasis on the three letters that are NHL. And Ville is an older guy already, just playing his most complete hockey these years.

If anyone is up to the task, they could check how many important, big game goals has Ville scored for Finland. First ones that come to mind was the hat-trick in the wc final in 1995, and a goal against Canada in the bronze game in Nagano but he has a whole lot of goals in semis and quarterfinals as well. :bow:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
psycho_dad said:
Yeah thats true. But people put so much emphasis on the three letters that are NHL. And Ville is an older guy already, just playing his most complete hockey these years.

If anyone is up to the task, they could check how many important, big game goals has Ville scored for Finland. First ones that come to mind was the hat-trick in the wc final in 1995, and a goal against Canada in the bronze game in Nagano but he has a whole lot of goals in semis and quarterfinals as well. :bow:

I'm not the one to convince about it, I've been a big fan of the guy ever since I discovered him back in 1995. My heart almost stopped during the summer of 2003 when I learned he signed with my favorite team :jump:

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
Peltonen is fun to watch on the international stage, but more power to him if he prefers to play in a different league. To each his own, I say.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
ahh i remember the "Knatte, Fnatte and Tjatte = Huey, Dewey and Louie" line. It was koivo, Lehtinen(?) and Peltonen. That line have dominated a few WC

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
cbj21 said:
ahh i remember the "Knatte, Fnatte and Tjatte = Huey, Dewey and Louie" line. It was koivo, Lehtinen(?) and Peltonen. That line have dominated a few WC

Yep, Peltonen - Koivu - Lehtinen. The captain of the team, Timo Jutila, was known as "Tjocke". ;)

Peltonen did try NA style of play with San Jose, played in Sweden and had second stint with Nashville 1998-2001, but had only one good run (during 1998-99, 14 games, 5+5=10). After that he signed with arch-rivals of his former team in Finland (HIFK -> Jokerit) and moved on to Swiss league. His style of play is very "European", he's got skill, speed and hockey sense but he cannot play physical- nor has the frame for it. He also prefers more open ice than quick decisions of small rink.

Oh yes - reminding the Swedes for Globen -95 :deadhorse

Susanna

Apr 29, 2006
Baltimore
Sherlock said:
Peltonen is fun to watch on the international stage, but more power to him if he prefers to play in a different league. To each his own, I say.

Yep, I thought he was great in Torino.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Vers said:
Globen, 1995

The biggest conspiracy of all time, even bigger then the Kennedy murder :teach:

It was obvious that Sweden won that game, after the game was played the media used computer effects too make team Sweden look like team Finland and so on.

• Look at the only goal that "team Sweden" scored in that game. The great Jarmo Myllys can't allow such a goal, only swedish goalies can allow goals like that.
  • When the game ended there were huge celebrations in Globen, it is obvious that there couldn't have been so many finns in the arena. So it was the swedish crowd that celebrated the gold medal!
  • The next day the media wanted all of us too think that team Finland were celebrated in Helsinki. But that was not the case, since it was a live feed the media never had a chance too edit out the sound from Stockholm. The media had never expexted that the huge crowds would sing songs in swedish, they though that it only would be loud cheering.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
twelve said:
He's played in the Swiss league for quite a while now and that hasn't stopped him from being the third best scorer of the Finnish team (and fifth best of all players in the tournament). He gets an okay pay, is a teamleader in Lugano, he's good on the big ice, and has other Suomi on his team. And there must be a reason why he left the NHL so early in his career. I don't think he even considers giving the NHL another try.
He battled injuries while with the Predators and had a lot of problems playing in traffic of the old NHL. I've always liked him and really hoped he would make it with the Predators.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad