Ville Husso

Latex*

Well, Thomas wasn't a product of HIFK system and played elsewhere too before moving back to NA.

Husso can be a future NHL'er providing he gets out of HIFK and fast. :laugh:

Seriously, our goalie system is horrible. Sakke Lindfors was a better goalie than a coach.

Latex*

I was 6'1 when I was 15. I'm now 17 and a bit shy of 6'2. Just saying...

Oh and i was one of the shortest boys in our class when i was about 15. Probably something around 5'8. Now that i'm 17 i am 6'2.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I like to learn a little more about Ville Husso, How good will he be as he seems to be the best goaltender for 2013 draft class, and I thought I read that he might be one of the best Finish goaltending prospects of all-time?

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
I haven't never seen Husso playing, but he seems to be a decent prospect. IMO Henri Kiviaho has much more potential to be NHL goalie. 17-years old kid playing with amazing stats on U20 (2.54 and .914%), 6'3 and he already has dazzling reflexes. :yo:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I haven't never seen Husso playing, but he seems to be a decent prospect. IMO Henri Kiviaho has much more potential to be NHL goalie. 17-years old kid playing with amazing stats on U20 (2.54 and .914%), 6'3 and he already has dazzling reflexes. :yo:

You never have seen Husso playing and you rank other goalie much ahead him :facepalm:. Husso is one of the best goalie prospects in the Finland in the couple past decades if we measure only technique. If he's mentally strong and can bounce back from bad games he's gonna be very good goaltender.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Husso has been very good so far in the playoff with HIFK in the Jr. A. He has played three games and has won all the games. I´m not a goalie expert by any means, but I think Husso has lots of potential. He has a good glove-hand and has very good movement on the goal. Husso is also very athletic. Should be very interesting to see how he will play in the next games.

Hege

Mar 20, 2012
Helsinki
Lindfors is moving to KHL so IFK is going to sign new goalie coach

There have been rumors concerning the recently "retired" HIFK goalkeeper Jan Lundell as being the next goalie coach if and once Lindfors moves to the KHL.

EDIT: Forgot that Lindfors already left to Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod alongside Jalonen & Rautio... My bad

And what comes to Ville Husso, I will be seeing him tonight at the opening match of the U20 Finals HIFK-Jokerit. By what I have seen of him, he is a really promising goalie. He's only 16 and plays with the U20.

Last edited:

HansSachsFan

Aug 17, 2012
Prague
Saw him against Russia at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup. Despite allowing six goals I was very impressed with his play and he stood out to me as the top goalie from the Breclav group so I thought I'd share my observations.

He has a very calm demeanor, big presence in the net. Looked very confident and unrattled throughout the game despite allowing three quick goals in the second period.
Technically very sound, very active hands, great glove, very solid butterfly, good rebound control and reads the play very well. Definitely could be more patient. Lot of times he just drops and relies on his strong b-fly.
He has Kari Lehtonen written all over him.

I'm not sure about his potential though. He still has room to grow technically but I would say he's already well polished. So I suppose he doesn't have the upside of a raw prospect such as Vasilevski. I don't know his work ethic and dedication which is obviously key for his development.

Would love to hear someone else's opinion on him, seems like a promising goaltender...

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Saw him against Russia at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup. Despite allowing six goals I was very impressed with his play and he stood out to me as the top goalie from the Breclav group so I thought I'd share my observations.

He has a very calm demeanor, big presence in the net. Looked very confident and unrattled throughout the game despite allowing three quick goals in the second period.
Technically very sound, very active hands, great glove, very solid butterfly, good rebound control and reads the play very well. Definitely could be more patient. Lot of times he just drops and relies on his strong b-fly.
He has Kari Lehtonen written all over him.

I'm not sure about his potential though. He still has room to grow technically but I would say he's already well polished. So I suppose he doesn't have the upside of a raw prospect such as Vasilevski. I don't know his work ethic and dedication which is obviously key for his development.

Would love to hear someone else's opinion on him, seems like a promising goaltender...
Thanks for sharing your observations. It’s pre-season, so things might still change before the draft, but as of now Husso might be the top Finnish goalie for the upcoming draft. There aren’t that many Finnish posters around here who have good knowledge about goaltending, so it’s possible that we can’t match your level of analysis. That is if one of the less active posters around here doesn’t step up and share their observations.

HansSachsFan

Aug 17, 2012
Prague
Thanks for sharing your observations. It’s pre-season, so things might still change before the draft, but as of now Husso might be the top Finnish goalie for the upcoming draft. There aren’t that many Finnish posters around here who have good knowledge about goaltending, so it’s possible that we can’t match your level of analysis. That is if one of the less active posters around here doesn’t step up and share their observations.

No problem at all. I have no experience with scouting whatsoever, but I do have goaltending knowledge...
I would maybe add two things. First, as far as his puckhandling goes, I didn't see anything flashy from him but he did make smart decisions with the puck to keep his team in possession. Also, I really liked the way he communicated with teammates. Unfortunately I really don't know what he was yelling...

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Where do you see him drafted? Maybe 2nd round?

A huge change for the better is required in the 2nd half of the season if he desires to be in the talks for top-60. Husso has been a pretty big disappointment, the same goes for many other Finnish 2013 prospects not named Barkov, Ristolainen or Lehkonen.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Can someone tell me what's the deal with this kid? Two years out he was labeled the best goaltender in this draft, and now he's barely mentioned at all. What happened?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Can someone tell me what's the deal with this kid? Two years out he was labeled the best goaltender in this draft, and now he's barely mentioned at all. What happened?

well umm he is very inconsistent and he played behind stacked teams few years ago, now he's team in average and he's weaknesess are getting more exposed (average size, bad positioning,mental game, tries to be too fancy etc.) I think he will still get drafted, he stats weren't that bad.

With the right coaching he still has a change to play in the nhl one day. Reminds me of Marc Andre Fleury

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't know if its just me but other than internationally this year, his numbers don't seem that terrible to me.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
What happened?
Husso looked really promising three, four years ago, but his development hasn't been linear. Few months ago I tried to reply to this same question in here.

average size
Husso is 6'1'' tall or a tad more, that's pretty much an optimal height for a modern goalie.

I think he will still get drafted
Based on the games I saw from Husso this season, I wouldn't draft him. I can't completely rule out the possibility of him getting drafted, but it would be a small surprise I think.

I don't know if its just me but other than internationally this year, his numbers don't seem that terrible to me.
Not terrible, but Husso had only the 5th best save percentage from U18 aged starting goalies in the Finnish U20 league, Saros, Kähkönen, Lipiäinen and Lankinen were ahead of him. Also, those 7 shutouts during the regular season helped enhance the stats quite a bit. On an average night he fairly often had a below dot-9 save%.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad