Player Discussion: Ville Heinola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Another year of getting stronger is only going to make Heinola better which will be best for the Jets and Heinola .

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for posting. I think everyone is on board with the decision. I think it is the right one.

Maurice confirms an earlier post where I stated 18 year old defenseman are not physically mature enough to flourish under the grind of the whole season against "men" on the smaller ice surface in America.

Reactions: LowLefty

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Thought this comment was interesting (keeping in mind it is an online translation):

- Level and skillfully, the AHL noticed a difference to the NHL. However, it was a tough series. It was even a little bit harder to play there than in the NHL because the game wasn't that systematic.

Is Heinola saying there that the Moose lack the systems the Jets have, that they play a more unstructured game?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Thought this comment was interesting (keeping in mind it is an online translation):

- Level and skillfully, the AHL noticed a difference to the NHL. However, it was a tough series. It was even a little bit harder to play there than in the NHL because the game wasn't that systematic.

Is Heinola saying there that the Moose lack the systems the Jets have, that they play a more unstructured game?

I think it's an observation about the league as a whole rather than just the Moose. Most guys that go through the AHL make similar remarks about how it's a faster game without as much focus on systems or creating a cycle, likely because there's a lack of high-end talent because they're mostly in the NHL.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think it's an observation about the league as a whole rather than just the Moose. Most guys that go through the AHL make similar remarks about how it's a faster game without as much focus on systems or creating a cycle, likely because there's a lack of high-end talent because they're mostly in the NHL.

OK, but I come back to comments that have been made that Vincent runs the same systems as Maurice. I assume to better prepare the players for meshing with the big club in the event of a call up.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The remark was about the AHL as a league being less structured than the NHL... which is a given as the player material level is not as high. It was not a jab at Moose, but a generic comparison of the two NA leagues.

Reactions: Duke749 and Atoyot

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
He probably earns a bit more in Finland and gets to live home. That it a a factor also I believe.

There is also the financial side for Jets because they can have one more ELC year.

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
Can someone translate this?

Interviewer: Good morning and welcome back to Rauma.

I: Similarily as with Tarmo Reunanen (a Ranger that also came back on a loan to Lukko) great to have you back. But on the other hand, from your perspective, irkingly close to making it in the NHL. What do you think about it?

V: Of course it's nice to be back and play here. Of course I'm a bit bummed out as naturally I would've liked to play in the NHL.
But I'm sure that time will come later.

I: On a newspaper our GM Kalle Sahlsted praised your ability to adapt first from juniors to Liiga and from there to NHL.
Would you shed light on how big of a step it is to take from Liiga to NHL? How different is the game?

V: Well, the difference is quite big. It's very much a world of its own, overall. The style is different. It's a lot more demanding.
The smaller rink is the biggest difference in my opinion. Of course the players are also lot more skillful.
It was a kind of leap in the dark to me, but gladly it went as good as it did.
Maybe I'm a kind of person that doesn't stress about thing that much. So I can adapt quickly. Which is good, of course.

I: You compared the NHL to AHL saying it was clearer there. What did you mean by that?

V: Well, from my perspective on NHL I knew better what the other players were about to do.
It was more systematic, while in the AHL it was more just perfoming. But the essentials were the same between the two.
On NHL the level of skill is just so much higher. So that probably makes the difference.

(this part of the interview is about Lukko)

I: What are your personal objectives for the rest of the season?

V: Well of course the WJCs are one big objective. And also all the other possible team Finland duties.
And what comes to Lukko of course I want to play well, but the most important thing is that the team succeeds.

I: NHL has a custom that the rookies make the first warm-up rounds of the season alone.
What was that experience like and should we adopt something similar here in Finland.

V: Well yeah, I think I spun my head a lot (from disbelief) while I made my rounds on the Madison.
Fortunately there were Kaapo (Kakko) and others doing the same thing at the other end.
But yeah I think it's very nice that the rookies are received that way. I think it'll be nice here in Finland also.

I: You have three games coming up next week. How you feel physically?

V: Quite ok. I had a few days rest before the flyover. Of course it will take a few days to settle down because of the jetlag.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

Everyone, in every organization always says that.

The AHL players have less skill, they fumble the puck more, they make more mistakes. The game is more random bounces.

Especially some goalies with high hockey IQ are better in the NHL due to that.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not a fan of him going back instead of staying on the Moose...
He says the biggest difference is the small ice surface and goes to play on the larger ice surface? How'd that work out for KV?
Maybe the AHL teams should be able to offer more than the 70k? he'd make playing on the Moose?
Let everything above that player's 70k count against the cap and his limit is 150k or someting???

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He says the biggest difference is the small ice surface and goes to play on the larger ice surface? How'd that work out for KV?
Maybe the AHL teams should be able to offer more than the 70k? he'd make playing on the Moose?
Let everything above that player's 70k count against the cap and his limit is 150k or someting???
I've argued this a couple times in the past. The $70,000 ELC salary in the AHL is a huge detriment in getting European or NCAA players to want to play there. For different reasons there is just not enough incentive to play there when they can develop just as well where they currently are.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Well technically he didn’t go and play on a big European/KHL rink as Liiga is using a hybrid rink which is (roughly?) in between the NA rink and European rink sizes.
Of course it’s not the same, but it’s also not as wide open as the ice KV spent a year on (in KHL).

I have no doubt the 18-year old kid will develop just as fine at home than in the AHL. KHL on the other hand is probably not a good place to percolate in.

Reactions: hn777

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Interviewer: Good morning and welcome back to Rauma.

I: Similarily as with Tarmo Reunanen (a Ranger that also came back on a loan to Lukko) great to have you back. But on the other hand, from your perspective, irkingly close to making it in the NHL. What do you think about it?

V: Of course it's nice to be back and play here. Of course I'm a bit bummed out as naturally I would've liked to play in the NHL.
But I'm sure that time will come later.

I: On a newspaper our GM Kalle Sahlsted praised your ability to adapt first from juniors to Liiga and from there to NHL.
Would you shed light on how big of a step it is to take from Liiga to NHL? How different is the game?

V: Well, the difference is quite big. It's very much a world of its own, overall. The style is different. It's a lot more demanding.
The smaller rink is the biggest difference in my opinion. Of course the players are also lot more skillful.
It was a kind of leap in the dark to me, but gladly it went as good as it did.
Maybe I'm a kind of person that doesn't stress about thing that much. So I can adapt quickly. Which is good, of course.

I: You compared the NHL to AHL saying it was clearer there. What did you mean by that?

V: Well, from my perspective on NHL I knew better what the other players were about to do.
It was more systematic, while in the AHL it was more just perfoming. But the essentials were the same between the two.
On NHL the level of skill is just so much higher. So that probably makes the difference.

(this part of the interview is about Lukko)

I: What are your personal objectives for the rest of the season?

V: Well of course the WJCs are one big objective. And also all the other possible team Finland duties.
And what comes to Lukko of course I want to play well, but the most important thing is that the team succeeds.

I: NHL has a custom that the rookies make the first warm-up rounds of the season alone.
What was that experience like and should we adopt something similar here in Finland.

V: Well yeah, I think I spun my head a lot (from disbelief) while I made my rounds on the Madison.
Fortunately there were Kaapo (Kakko) and others doing the same thing at the other end.
But yeah I think it's very nice that the rookies are received that way. I think it'll be nice here in Finland also.

I: You have three games coming up next week. How you feel physically?

V: Quite ok. I had a few days rest before the flyover. Of course it will take a few days to settle down because of the jetlag.

Thank you!

Reactions: hn777

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well technically he didn’t go and play on a big European/KHL rink as Liiga is using a hybrid rink which is (roughly?) in between the NA rink and European rink sizes.
Of course it’s not the same, but it’s also not as wide open as the ice KV spent a year on (in KHL).

I have no doubt the 18-year old kid will develop just as fine at home than in the AHL. KHL on the other hand is probably not a good place to percolate in.
Thanks for that. I didn't know that. It is ironic that the fastest league has the smallest ice. He still commented that it was the biggest difference for him.

Reactions: Tommigun

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Thanks for that. I didn't know that. It is ironic that the fastest league has the smallest ice. He still commented that it was the biggest difference for him.

I have no doubt that players still need time adjusting, but I don’t think it’s going to be remotely as detrimental to his development as KV’s KHL stint.
On the contrary I think that getting to spend some more time with his family at 18 in a league that is arguably better than the AHL, close to home, will be beneficial for him in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad