Prospect Info: Villalta, thoughts?

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
I put this question in the prospect thread but I was very interested to hear Kings fans thoughts.

I know he missed out on making the WJC for Canada. With regards to wins, he is having an incredible 3 year run in the OHL but his GAA and SV% has dropped each year. What are everyone's thoughts on this young goalie?

Oof

Oct 23, 2018
He looks somewhat promising to me, seen some highlight saves from him I think he just needs to round out his game and our coaches might be the best to do that with

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
He could be a player that was benefiting from playing on a great team. He does make highlight reel saves, but I wonder how consistent he is. Next year he be in the battle to play for the Reign with him and Kehler, but the Reign D had better improve a lot, it could destroy any young goalies confidence. I'm a bit more intrigued by Hrenak. He's putting up some solid numbers at St. Cloud.

Oof

Oct 23, 2018
He could be a player that was benefiting from playing on a great team. He does make highlight reel saves, but I wonder how consistent he is. Next year he be in the battle to play for the Reign with him and Kehler, but the Reign D had better improve a lot, it could destroy any young goalies confidence. I'm a bit more intrigued by Hrenak. He's putting up some solid numbers at St. Cloud.
Hrenak's stats look great honestly

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Ontario will field a very, very good team next season. I’m also hoping we sign and assign both Mikey Anderson and Markus Phillips to the Reign and return Brickley and Clague there! Add in possible Kupari, Dergachyov and a few college UFA and it should be a much better, more defensive and skill team.. oh and Strand of course

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

You hit the nail on the head regarding the consistency with MV. I had a chance to watch him closely last season as the Hounds faced off against Hamilton for the OHL Championship. He had moments where he seemed on point and then other instances where he looked awful.

Didn’t like his positioning on some of the goals he gave up, and at times his glove hand let him down.

I think the mental aspect of the game is something he’ll need to work on.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Ontario will field a very, very good team next season. I’m also hoping we sign and assign both Mikey Anderson and Markus Phillips to the Reign and return Brickley and Clague there! Add in possible Kupari, Dergachyov and a few college UFA and it should be a much better, more defensive and skill team.. oh and Strand of course

I thought that too, at least defensively this year, and was completely off the mark. So we'll have to wait and see. It's a tough transition to pro hockey, especially on defense for these young guys, as Clague and Brickley are finding out. The Reign overall team defense has been a train wreck without the veteran AHL forwards on NHL contracts this team was used to having around. Poor defense by the forward crew has made the transition for the new D men even more difficult.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I thought that too, at least defensively this year, and was completely off the mark. So we'll have to wait and see. It's a tough transition to pro hockey, especially on defense for these young guys, as Clague and Brickley are finding out. The Reign overall team defense has been a train wreck without the veteran AHL forwards on NHL contracts this team was used to having around. Poor defense by the forward crew has made the transition for the new D men even more difficult.
Yeah it was a cluster fudge in a big way. However, the flux of new talent that could potentially be on its way is much better than the influx this season. Also, if the reign had Wagner-Amadio-Luff for the whole season, they’d be in a much better position imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad