Vilardi out with an enlarged spleen - update: dude recovered playing March 30

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His healthiest season was last year in LA and even then he missed 19 regular season games. Would love to be proven wrong but I think anything around 60 games is a win.

It's unfortunately looking like that is more likely. But sometimes a player juat suddenly is able to stay healthy. We can hope.

Reactions: GNP and Buffdog

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It's unfortunately looking like that is more likely. But sometimes a player juat suddenly is able to stay healthy. We can hope.
Yes, and Jets can strategize around that, as it presents both opportunity and risk. None of his illnesses/injuries appear chronic and he is a 60+ point top-6 PP1 player over a full season.
PLD is playing at a 40 point pace, being paid $8.5M for potential that he may never achieve.
Winnipeggers love a bargain. What is the discount on a long-term offer to Vilardi that would make it worth the risk?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Maybe we have a spot in our top 6 that can be split between Chaz playing half a season before getting injured and Gabe the other half after recovering from somthing. We'd just have to make sure that their injuries lined up time-wise lol

Reactions: macmaroon and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes, and Jets can strategize around that, as it presents both opportunity and risk. None of his illnesses/injuries appear chronic and he is a 60+ point top-6 PP1 player over a full season.
PLD is playing at a 40 point pace, being paid $8.5M for potential that he may never achieve.
Winnipeggers love a bargain. What is the discount on a long-term offer to Vilardi that would make it worth the risk?

I am now comfortable with knowing trading PLD and his complacency for his cap space would have been a win with no other assets involved.

I have no idea how the Negotiations work when a player is injured so much. His last contract negotiated this summer was a two year x $3.43 million and he proceeded to play very well but he’s going to miss half the season.

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am now comfortable with knowing trading PLD and his complacency for his cap space would have been a win with no other assets involved.

I have no idea how the Negotiations work when a player is injured so much. His last contract negotiated this summer was a two year x $3.43 million and he proceeded to play very well but he’s going to miss half the season.

It will be based almost entirely on what he does next year imo.

Reactions: ps241

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It will be based almost entirely on what he does next year imo.
That is the likely scenario, but it increases both the potential risk and benefit for Vilardi. Another major injury, even if unrelated to his previous ones, makes him damaged goods for a LT contact.

If he does well and stays healthy for the next 10 games plus playoffs, is there a benefit for the player to lock that in, albeit at a lower AAV? It's the equivalent of an insurance policy.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Maybe some type of Trauma caused this, did they ever say what his original injury was?
I think we all just sort of assumed it was related to his back since it was an "upper body" that was precluding him from skating.

To support that, they found the splenomegaly when they were imaging his injury, and that's something that would show up on an MRI of the spine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad