Viktor's 2019 NHL Mock Draft (January) (UPDATED) (Post #17)

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Here's the working link (I promise) -> ImTheLink <- for the full list :thumbu:

Top 10-

1. LAK- Jack Hughes C/LW
2. (OTT) COL- Kappo Kakko RW
3. CHI- Dylan Cozens C/RW
4. DET- Kirby Dach C
5. ARZ- Trevor Zegras C/LW
6. STL- Bowen Byram LD
7. PHI- Vasili Podkolzin RW
8. NJD- Matthew Boldy LW
9. CAR- Alex Turcotte C
10. VAN- Arthur Kaliyev LW

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
Nice list. Lots of movement as to be expected. From Montreal's point of view Ryan Suzuki wound be a nice pick up but think Robertson or Broberg could present better targets as to club need so if their scouting shows equal talent and upside the LHD wins out.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Nice list. Lots of movement as to be expected. From Montreal's point of view Ryan Suzuki wound be a nice pick up but think Robertson or Broberg could present better targets as to club need so if their scouting shows equal talent and upside the LHD wins out.
It was a tough choice for me between Robertson and Suzuki, but it would just be pretty cool to see the Suzuki bros on the same team.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I still think the Isles would take Broberg over Kokkonen if it comes down to the two of them. They have great size on RD but not on the LD.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
they're both LD

I'm talking about what the ISLES currently have, not the 2 players. Broberg is much bigger than Kokkonen, hence the better fit for the Isles. Toews, Hickey and Leddy are average size while Pulock, Wilde, Dobson, Boychuck and Mayfield are all big.

Reactions: andys

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Is Kaliyev going 10 still based off highlights or have you seen him play in a game yet?

JLT

Jan 7, 2019
The crazy thing is 2020 eligible guys like Lafrenière and Byfield would probably still go top 15 in this draft...

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
Is Kaliyev going 10 still based off highlights or have you seen him play in a game yet?
Heesh dude I get it, you don’t like Kaliyev, don’t have to be a tool about it. I like Kaliyev, and I have my reasons quit questioning “Have you seen him play?” Of course I have that’s why I’m a fan of his. I can have an opinion different from others believe it or not.

Last edited:

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Heesh dude I get it, you don’t like Kaliyev, don’t have to be a tool about it. I like Kaliyev, and I have my reasons quit questioning “Have you seen him play?” Of course I have that’s why I’m a fan of his. I can have an opinion different from others believe it or not.
I am actually a fan of his, it's just I remember you ranking him third and something about how you only watched highlights so I asked if that has changed. The only tool is the one getting triggered over a simple question of "did you watch him in a game and not just highlights"

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
I am actually a fan of his, it's just I remember you ranking him third and something about how you only watched highlights so I asked if that has changed. The only tool is the one getting triggered over a simple question of "did you watch him in a game and not just highlights"
I don’t ever remember saying that I only watch highlights, and I’m not trying to be a tool, man, I just don’t like it when people question me about how I research prospects. Clearly I try to watch as many games as possible to put out solid info on why I like prospects. Kaliyev’s for me, has so much potential to become one of the top goal scorers from this draft, although he needs to work on the defensive side of the game, but I just see so much upside to him. Enough to have him as a Top 10 prospect which I know a lot of people don’t see him as that, but I’m just a huge fan of his. Sorry don’t wanna stir up any trouble. Honestly had a crappy day at work and seeing that message kinda just made me a little pissed for some reason. Sorry dude.
Also, why do you have Soderstrom so low?
Probably gonna do a redo on this mock draft, I have him higher on my current rankings, I think the only reason I put him lower is based on team needs, but I’ll probably have an update later on.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
I don’t ever remember saying that I only watch highlights, and I’m not trying to be a tool, man, I just don’t like it when people question me about how I research prospects. Clearly I try to watch as many games as possible to put out solid info on why I like prospects. Kaliyev’s for me, has so much potential to become one of the top goal scorers from this draft, although he needs to work on the defensive side of the game, but I just see so much upside to him. Enough to have him as a Top 10 prospect which I know a lot of people don’t see him as that, but I’m just a huge fan of his. Sorry don’t wanna stir up any trouble. Honestly had a crappy day at work and seeing that message kinda just made me a little pissed for some reason. Sorry dude.

Probably gonna do a redo on this mock draft, I have him higher on my current rankings, I think the only reason I put him lower is based on team needs, but I’ll probably have an update later on.
All good man, no hard feelings.

Also,the order of D going in the mock, is it similar to your rankings or more so based off team needs?

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Here's the working link (I promise) -> ImTheLink <- for the full list :thumbu:

Top 10-

1. LAK- Jack Hughes C/LW
2. (OTT) COL- Kappo Kakko RW
3. CHI- Dylan Cozens C/RW
4. DET- Kirby Dach C
5. ARZ- Trevor Zegras C/LW
6. STL- Bowen Byram LD
7. PHI- Vasili Podkolzin RW
8. NJD- Matthew Boldy LW
9. CAR- Alex Turcotte C
10. VAN- Arthur Kaliyev LW

Podkolzin goes top 5 and Dach
Doesn't

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I have seen Kaliyev live and also watched a lot of Bulldogs games on tv. He has great vision, super hands, is tough on the boards, plays a very good positional game, passes well, and is not afraid to hit or be hit.He does set up for his shots when the Bulldogs have the puck in the O zone but I do not call that floating. Obvious issue is no quick first step and rather ordinary OHL skating straightaway speed. The Vanek comparison is apt stylistically. Not a top of the first round pick for me but he should not last long in the first round either.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Feb 18, 2017
I've decided to make an update, I'll give ya a link to my website if you wanna check out some of the previous lists I've made, but I'll just make a full list here as well. LINK to website :thumbu:

Standings are based on the date 1/12/19 using www.tankathon.com/nhl

1. :kings selects Kappo Kakko RW TPS (Liiga) - I've hopped onto the Kakko at #1 bandwagon.

2. :flyers selects Jack Hughes C/LW U.S National U18 Team (USDP) - Jeez the Flyers have been awful this year, Jack Hughes would probably help em out.

3. :wings selects Dylan Cozens C/RW Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) - Detroit needs centers so Cozens would be the best choice IMO. Also right handed defense-men... still.

4. (OTT) :avs selects Bowen Byram LD Vancouver Giants (WHL) - Still the best defense-man in the draft, and well deserving of being a Top 5 pick.

5. :hawks selects Trevor Zegras C/LW U.S National U18 Team (USDP) - I just think that Chicago would take Trevor Zegras over Kirby Dach, or not I dunno. Small, and skilled center seems like a guy Chicago would like over the bigger center.

6. :devils selects Vasili Podkolzin RW SKA-1946 St. Petersburg (MHL) - New Jersey needs wingers, and Podkolzin is one of the best, easy choice for the Devils, I think.

7. :blues selects Kirby Dach C Saskatoon Blades (WHL) - If the Blues end up trading Schenn, they'll need another center to replace him for the future, so Dach ought a be a solid pick for the Blues.

8. :coyotes selects Alex Turcotte C U.S National U18 Team (USDP) - Pretty sure this is an easy choice for the Yotes, as center might be their biggest need.

9. :panthers selects Moritz Seider RD Adler Mannheim (DEL) - Panthers need defense-man badly, it was a tough choice between Seider and Soderstrom, but I went with Seider due to the fact Panthers need more defensive guys rather than offensive type defenders. Both would be solid choices though.

10. :rangers selects Matthew Boldy LW U.S National U18 Team (USDP) - Dude has been tearing it up recently since I've released my Rankings, and now he's in my Top 10, could be one of the best players from this draft.

11. :nucks selects Arthur Kaliyev LW Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL) - JK THIS GUY IS GONNA BE THE BEST PLAYER FROM THE DRAFT, #NEXTOVI lol im sorry

12. :ducks2 selects Connor McMichael C London Knights (OHL) - Connor McDavid joke

13. :edmonton selects Jakob Pelletier LW Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) - Connor McDavid joke

14. :canes selects Ryan Suzuki C Barrie Colts (OHL) - OOF sorry Montreal, but we got Suzuki, looks like the brothers won't unite bwohohohoho.

15. :habs selects Victor Soderstrom RD Brynas IF (SHL) - ye what eva Carolina your guys end game winning celebration is more cringey than Vegas's dumb openings. And we got Soderstrom get rekted n00bs.

Okay I'm gonna stop with the descriptions.

16. :avs selects Alex Newhook LW Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL)

17. :wild selects Pavel Dorofeyev RW Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)

18. :stars selects Raphaël Lavoie LW/C Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

19. :sabres selects Matthew Robertson LD Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

20. :isles selects Cam York LD U.S National U18 Team (USDP)

21. :bruins selects Nolan Foote LW Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

22. :cbj selects Albin Grewe LW/C Djurgårdens IF (SHL)

23. :vegas selects Lassi Thomson RD Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

24. :nashville selects Cole Caufield RW U.S National U18 Team (USDP)

25. :pens selects Mikko Kokkonen LD Jukurit (Liiga)

26. (SJS) :sabres selects Peyton Krebs LW Kootenay Ice (WHL)

27. :leafs selects Philip Broberg LD AIK (Allsvenskan)

28. :jets selects Thomas Harley LD Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)

29. :caps selects Anttoni Honka RD JYP (Liiga)

30. :flames selects Nathan Légaré RW Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)

31. :bolts selects Daniil Gutik LW Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

Literately getting tougher and tougher to rank these guys.

Reactions: uncleben

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
York would be a solid pick for the Islanders. After C, LD is the next major need for the team and with none available at that point in your mock, I'd be happy with this selection

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
You really think Montreal takes a RHD over a LHD? Interesting. As much as I like Victor Soderstrom and Montreal does like BPA... I still think they might opt for Matthew Robertson in the 15th spot.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
You really think Montreal takes a RHD over a LHD? Interesting. As much as I like Victor Soderstrom and Montreal does like BPA... I still think they might opt for Matthew Robertson in the 15th spot.
I think they'd take Broberg before Robertson as a LHD option IMO

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Avs must pick a 2nd liner
Byram will be good but we can pick a good LHD with 2nd round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad