Post-Game Talk: Viktorious Forses - Predators 4, Jets 0

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
unfortunately he does it for both teams
No he doesn't and you know it :thumbu:
He really needs to bury one of his shots next game though, since he's been missing the corners more than usual in this series. He's shooting well below his normal shot%, so let's hope that he rgresses to his norm and pots one.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think the Jets showed their lack of experience. Early in the game they seemed nervous, missing a lot of passes, fumbling the puck and generally out of sorts. Later in the game they got better, but didn't really seem to know how to solve the Preds' defensive strategy. Myers' complete fail when he ponderously carried the puck up ice and then turned it over at the Preds' blueline was a perfect example of what was wrong with the Jets, and how badly Myers has played in this series.

Still, in the end this game was lost largely on the PP, which was completely ineffective. That's the Jets' best players, and they didn't get it done. They got killed on face-offs on their PP, which meant that they had to regroup constantly, and they had no answer for the Preds' defense of the zone entry.

I've had it with Myers on the PP, by the way. His play this series has been awful enough - to have him fumble around on the PP is just too much. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't have Morrissey on the 2nd PP, and turn it into a "lefty" PP (mirroring the "righty" first PP). Little down low in Stastny's role, Connor in the slot in Scheifele's role, Perreault on the left wall (Wheeler's) role, Ehlers on the right half wall (Laine) and Morrissey up top (Buff).

I agree that the Jets lack of experience, together with the pressure of playing mistake free playoff hockey, led to them being very much "out of sorts". But it was much more troubling that they "really didn`t seem to know how to solve" any of the tactical changes/adjustments made by the Preds as the series has progressed. I`m thinking here about things like the Preds modifying their defensive zone exit so as to neuter our high pressure forecheck; modifying their own forecheck schemes to include the overload at times and even the utilization of the neutral zone trap; and maybe most significantly, adjusting their PK tactics to take away the main threats of Scheifele and Laine and to exert high pressure on Wheeler.
Perhaps I`m being unfair, but I find it very difficult to actually see any evidence of the essential counter-adjustments by the Jets. It really does seem like there is little to no game planning/game preparation by the Jets coachs` , with the expectation being that the players will somehow read/react on the fly. This puts us at a decided dis-advantage - even if our players are as good or better than the Preds, we are in a situation much like a high jumper handicapped by having to jump from a hole.:(

Reactions: Board Bard

axmachina

May 8, 2018
Give me 26 samples in a row of anything and I'll retroactively find patterns after the fact that will blow your mind and would be masterpieces of oraculation if I could have predicted them, you know, a quarter century in advance.

I get it it's easy to discount that as cherry picking. But it's still a line worth exploring rather than skirting entirely. The data is emblematic of problems inherent in current NHL system. Not saying there's any hope of a positive change either way...

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
Subban can say what he wants about the win.Yes he predicted they would win and they did.I will say this though it's not because the Preds bucked up and played really hard to win but more like the Jets never showed up.I mean they played bad in my opinion.I know we can beat this team we have proven it many times we just need to show up.I will say this also,it's rare for us to lose 2 games in a row lately so Preds you better watch out I'm thinking we come to play Thursday night and beat the Preds in there own building.So I will be the Subban and say that we are going to go to Nashville and win the game and shake hands with the Preds and get ready to play Vegas.Thats how I feel I don't know if anyone is with me on this but I really believe we want it more than they do because as everyone keeps saying the Preds have been here before they are more ready and used to it but I disagree we know how far we have come to finally get here so I really don't think we are going to just lay down we are going to rise and become victorious over this yellow Preds team.Please put Scott Hartnell back in so Byfuglien can knock the curly hairs out of his head.It worked out perfectly now we get to go to there barn and show them defeat.
Go Jets Go!!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree that the Jets lack of experience, together with the pressure of playing mistake free playoff hockey, led to them being very much "out of sorts". But it was much more troubling that they "really didn`t seem to know how to solve" any of the tactical changes/adjustments made by the Preds as the series has progressed. I`m thinking here about things like the Preds modifying their defensive zone exit so as to neuter our high pressure forecheck; modifying their own forecheck schemes to include the overload at times and even the utilization of the neutral zone trap; and maybe most significantly, adjusting their PK tactics to take away the main threats of Scheifele and Laine and to exert high pressure on Wheeler.
Perhaps I`m being unfair, but I find it very difficult to actually see any evidence of the essential counter-adjustments by the Jets. It really does seem like there is little to no game planning/game preparation by the Jets coachs` , with the expectation being that the players will somehow read/react on the fly. This puts us at a decided dis-advantage - even if our players are as good or better than the Preds, we are in a situation much like a high jumper handicapped by having to jump from a hole.:(
I think the main issue is the difficulty they've had with the Preds' PK. They made the Jets look awful. Now, a lot of that is just bad decision-making by the players on the ice, but I think they need to think about how to counter the heavy pressure better.

5v5 - I didn't like the line combinations. I would have preferred that Maurice go back to Ehlers-Stastny-Laine last game when he wasn't getting anything from either of his secondary scoring lines. Perreault plays better with Armia, because they are both good at creating chaos and pressure in the offensive zone. Perreault wasn't really getting anything done with Stastny and Laine. I still think they need to change up their D pairings to get Chiarot away from Myers (and probably out of the line-up). I think their best D line-up without Kulikov is:

Morrissey-Trouba (they've been outstanding all playoffs)
Morrow-Buff (they were very good in the Wild series, and late in the regular season)
Enstrom-Myers (Myers needs a steady partner like Enstrom to settle him down)

Maurice loves the Enstrom-Buff pairing, so we aren't likely to see them broken up, but I would then put Morrow in the line-up alongside Myers. I just think that Chiarot-Myers struggles too much against the speed and pressure of the Preds.

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The biggest lack of adjustment is on the PP. They keep trying the same damn thing all the time and it won't working. Its pretty maddening that the coaching staff is just leaving it to tge players to try to figure it out.

I have seen some subtle adjustments in how they are attacking off the rush but not nearly enough to really think the coaching staff is modifying their strategy enough to really counteract the Preds trap. Poor player execution is also an issue.

I would guess this is an area where Moe will need to show some growth as a coach if he wants to coach us to a championship.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Put Laine ehlers and armia on 4th line and play them about 5 minutes in game 7. That will go along way in helping us win.

Yeah because they are the reason the team didn't sweep the Perds :shakehead

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 2.39.24 PM.png

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You would actually keep Chiarot in?
Oh my God this is tiring.

Scratch Enstrom, Scratch Chiarot.

Neither one of these players were the problem last night. Neither f***ING one.

We love to blame players here who really didn't contribute to a loss.

Laine has to be so much f***ing better. He can't control the puck anymore, he doesn't seem to have any f***ing passion at all.
Buff looks tired, hurt or disinterested. A couple lazy passes on the PP = easy turnovers.
Ehlers has been getting beaten up and it's affected his game.
Where the f*** is Adam Lowry?
Perreault was supposed to be a big difference maker but besides some decent forechecks this guy has been MIA over half the year.

People complain ad nauseum about Myers but he's the only f***ing d man who is actually generating offense and attacking the offensive zone.

We have way f***ing more problems than Ben Chiarot, and anyone who thinks putting Joe f***ing Morrow in is going to do anything to help... well I don't know what I can say to that person.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Neither one of these players were the problem last night. Neither ****ING one.

Laine has to be so much ****ing better. He can't control the puck anymore, he doesn't seem to have any ****ing passion at all.
Buff looks tired, hurt or disinterested. A couple lazy passes on the PP = easy turnovers.
Where the **** is Adam Lowry?
Perreault was supposed to be a big difference maker but besides some decent forechecks this guy has been MIA over half the year.

People complain ad nauseum about Myers but he's the only ****ing d man who is actually generating offense and attacking the offensive zone.

We have way ****ing more problems than Ben Chiarot, and anyone who thinks putting Joe ****ing Morrow in is going to do anything to help... well I don't know what I can say to that person.

You’d have to be blind to not see how much of an issue Chiarot is right now. He is dragging down Myers and we need a stronger 3rd pairing.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You’d have to be blind to not see how much of an issue Chiarot is right now. He is dragging down Myers and we need a stronger 3rd pairing.
Myers was pretty bad, but, I doubt if Forsberg makes Enstrom, or the top 3 look as silly on that second goal as he did with Chariot.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

i'd argue that Chiarot is a bit to blame for Forsberg's goal and that he didn't do all that much last night that was redeeming, but you are correct, he wasn't the key issue. in fact, no one player was the key issue.

Laine has to be so much ****ing better. He can't control the puck anymore, he doesn't seem to have any ****ing passion at all.
Laine hasn't been good. Correct. he also entered the series with an injury and it's affecting his skating or balance or something. so...i have to cut him some slack.
he was punishing players for most of 2 series. it may be physically catching up to him. may also explain why he isn't playing an insane amount of minutes.
Ehlers is beating himself. also is not playing great hockey.
i assume he's also hurt. a shadow of the player that was vs the Wild. he's not throwing his body around so something's clear-as-day up.
because he was injured for a good chunk

People complain ad nauseum about Myers but he's the only ****ing d man who is actually generating offense and attacking the offensive zone.
correct. except he's really not good in his own zone which, as a D man, is a good portion of your game.

some people here and even the CBC talking heads are comparing last night's game to the stinky game 4. jets were being stymied last night, but they had some good chances. the analytics will rpobably agree with me. they just didn't capitalize on their chances. meanwhile, nashville scores off of a deflection off a guy ducking for his life, and off of a player who breaks his stick, gets a new stick and finds himself on the receiving end of a breakaway pass. this stuff doesn't happen that often. it's a game of luck.

who will win on Thursday? damn if i know. jets have to make adjustments. when they've played well, they're dominant. when they fall into Nashville's trap (literally), they look confused.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
unless kulikov is ready to go (and, really, non-contact jersey and 3 more skating days so there is a remote possibility), we're stuck with Chiarot in the line-up.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Injured players dont get a pass for being garbage. If you are hurt and its affecting your play to the point where you are hurting the team, get off the god damn ice.
Does anyone else find it weird Buff looked much better with Morrow than enstrom? Buff had all sorts of get up and go with morrow, get re paired with enstrom, goes right back to bad Buff. Hes had times of brilliance in this series but he was one of the best players on the ice the whole minny series.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Myers was pretty bad, but, I doubt if Forsberg makes Enstrom, or the top 3 look as silly on that second goal as he did with Chariot.
The BEST defenseman in the world could not prepare for that play. The play is in front of you while you are skating backwards and all of a sudden a player hits you from behind?
The whole play was strange ... a slapshot that Forsberg blocks actually breaks his stick when was the last time you saw that?

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I respect everyone has an opinion on this board...

I have read every post on this PGT...

But really guys... girls...zee... zaa...

Given this series... flip a coin... flip a car... flip a table rock in Utah...

Their is no rhyme or reason with two teams so evenly matched...

I am just going to buy a good bottle of Rum...

Buy some fresh limes...

And enjoy the last game of this series come hell or high water...

Because "Science'ing the Shit" out of this Mars adventure isn't going to guarantee anything for either team...

emgn-one-word-characters-6.gif

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think the main issue is the difficulty they've had with the Preds' PK. They made the Jets look awful. Now, a lot of that is just bad decision-making by the players on the ice, but I think they need to think about how to counter the heavy pressure better.

5v5 - I didn't like the line combinations. I would have preferred that Maurice go back to Ehlers-Stastny-Laine last game when he wasn't getting anything from either of his secondary scoring lines. Perreault plays better with Armia, because they are both good at creating chaos and pressure in the offensive zone. Perreault wasn't really getting anything done with Stastny and Laine. I still think they need to change up their D pairings to get Chiarot away from Myers (and probably out of the line-up). I think their best D line-up without Kulikov is:

Morrissey-Trouba (they've been outstanding all playoffs)
Morrow-Buff (they were very good in the Wild series, and late in the regular season)
Enstrom-Myers (Myers needs a steady partner like Enstrom to settle him down)

Maurice loves the Enstrom-Buff pairing, so we aren't likely to see them broken up, but I would then put Morrow in the line-up alongside Myers. I just think that Chiarot-Myers struggles too much against the speed and pressure of the Preds.

Enström would only help Myers by getting the puck out of the D zone before Myers has a chance to do any damage.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I respect everyone has an opinion on this board...

I have read every post on this PGT...

But really guys... girls...zee... zaa...

Given this series... flip a coin... flip a car... flip a table rock in Utah...

Their is no rhyme or reason with two teams so evenly matched...

I am just going to buy a good bottle of Rum...

Buy some fresh limes...

And enjoy the last game of this series come hell or high water...

Because "Science'ing the ****" out of this Mars adventure isn't going to guarantee anything for either team...

emgn-one-word-characters-6.gif
I've been thinking along those lines as well. Scenario 1: Nashville gets a couple early goals and grinds it down and wins something low scoring and boring. Scenario 2: Maybe the Jets Rip a couple early on, get their motor going and we win 7-2. Most of what we talk on and on about around here has little impact. Laine picking up the pace and fighting for open ice to get his shot off, Scheif going into beast mode, Wheeler crashing the net, Helly standing tall, Buff being the unstoppable good Buff from the opening face off will decide the game. Game 7 can go either way, and I kind of like it being in Nashville. The pressure is off us and just button it down and go.

Either way, I think I'll buy a nice bottle of wine, pull the big comfy chair up close to the TV and enjoy the game. If scenario 1 happens I will drop by and congratulate the Jets on a fantastic season and duck out quickly to avoid getting caught up in the carnage. If Scenario 2 happens I will yell and scream, do a happy dance and discuss series 3 with all who want to celebrate the moment. I've find myself at peace and surprisingly calm and mostly just looking forward to Thursday.

Reactions: GNP

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The player I see playing with a noticeable Injury which is hurting his push off on his skating is Armia.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

We have way ****ing more problems than Ben Chiarot, and anyone who thinks putting Joe ****ing Morrow in is going to do anything to help... well I don't know what I can say to that person.
I agree with most of what you said but Buff is 3rd on the team in scoring with 12 points in 11 games , Buff's production in the playoffs has been fantastic especially when our next highest scoring defenseman only has 4 points .

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I agree with most of what you said but Buff is 3rd on the team in scoring with 12 points in 11 games , Buff's production in the playoffs has been fantastic especially when our next highest scoring defenseman only has 4 points .
Oh no I agree. Byfuglien for the most part has been fantastic. He was amazing in the Minnesota series, and in the games that we played well in against Nashville he was an important part of that. I would say the same for Laine.

However, in the games we were flat in as a team, we really needed Big Buff to lead the team and change the momentum, either by making something happen or a BUFF SMASH. I felt like he was just as flat as the rest of the team, passing off, low energy, etc. He's the guy making the big bucks with the playoff experience, he needs to step up. I felt Stasny has been doing that - but other Jets have been really uneven (probably due to inexperience).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad