Injury Report: Viktor Stalberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I don't think that they will call anyone up in the meanwhile just let him get better and hopefully Etem can play well enough to no warrant having to call Glass up.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Disgusts me that the league didn't do anything about this hit the Couts hit or the Hit on Staff what are they doing??? Apparently they aren't watching these games.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
“@rangersreport: Stalberg skating on his own after practice”

We have a log-jam, he will be back in a hurry. Don't want Etem to take his spot.

Noooo that can't possibly be how it work can it?? I don't know, but it always seems like it lol. When you have a log-jam "nobody" is injured...

I BTW don't think it should be a suspension on the play. Gudas makes a N-S hit on a forward. I don't really see Gudas going for the head either...

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
IMO watching the replay a few times, I thought Gudas definitely targeted the head, and at the very least made initial and primary contact with it even if unintentional. If the league wants to cut down on head injuries, they have to suspend for those, even when the player is NOT injured. When a guy loses his career and has his life changed by a head injury, it's too late to teach the offending player, or help the injured one. The message needs to be sent before. I don't think many if any NHL players are INTENDING to injure, I think they have to be shown they can't make those sort of dangerous plays regardless though. You suspend them in any case when making that sort of play, and they will not risk making it.
Just my opinion of course.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Disgusts me that the league didn't do anything about this hit the Couts hit or the Hit on Staff what are they doing??? Apparently they aren't watching these games.

The Couts hit looked fine to me.

shoulder to the chest with the head snapping forward (onto Rinaldo's shoulder) then whipping backwards.

Good hockey hit right there.

Rinaldo, violent collision, player got hurt. The easy assumption was that it was a dirty hit.

One of the easier incorrect calls to make.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Really not seeing the hype here. Gudas is bigger, Stahlberg has his head down, you have your head down in the neutral zone, you are going to get cold-cocked. He didn't lift off his skates, he didn't do a flying elbow from my perspective when watching the tape a half-dozen times.

The more everyone tries to over-analyze frames per millisecond, trying to validate an argument where it was 'malicious', or the 'principle contact' was his head, I mean, there really should not be any open ice hits anymore when a player is defenseless if everyone is going to complain when a player gets hurt.

I'm all for cleaning up the league as it's not the 1970's anymore, but you cannot drain the physicality of the game anymore than it has been.

What's the repercussions a player faces when they skate with their head down in the neutral zone, what, every hit where they get destroyed there should be a penalty or a game misconduct handed out, especially if they get hurt?

It's hockey, gentlemen and ladies, and it seems a lot of people have their panties in a bunch when a player gets hurt, especially if it's a player you truly like.

I hope Gudas gets nothing. There is a reason why the Rangers have a deep team, and come playoffs, this will happen way more frequently.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I don't think it's fair to just say Stahlberg had his "head down," he was engaged with another player, that was why his attention was not on Gudas. Gudas took advantage of the distraction to head shot him.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Stalberg had his head down... It doesn't matter if there's 150 players on him, his head is down looking at the puck with another player tailing him, he becomes vulnerable, he's in a no-man's zone where the play is up for grabs and momentum is gained or lost, Gudas took advantage.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I do agree it could have been a lot dirtier, but is that the measuring stick?

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
If Stalberg wasn't hurt, would this even be a topic of discussion? I would say no, it wouldn't be.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I didn't agree with the lack of communication or even the acknowledgment of the hit. They treated it as easy come easy go. No wonder why players are suing left and right. Sure some are just jumping on the wagon. But for every couple of those there is guys who have actually been affected by the lack of acknowledgement of this serious situation. Some players have no respect for others.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
It amazes me how everyone sees it differently me as an older guy who grew up watching a much better brand of Hockey IMHO when I first saw the hit I thought I wish we had someone who kept people honest but the younger fans first thought is suspension.......I wonder where the dividing line age wise takes place

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Yeah, all the OLD players are suing because they have no more money left. So, what or who is an easy culprit to sue? The league you once played for.

A player signs a contract to play in the most *ELITE* league in the entire world - don't you think they know at any given time their career can end, malicious or not? That's the highs and lows when entering a career as a professional player in any sport, especially contact.

Gudas made a guaranteed play. Does he take the body in the neutral zone, and also make a statement concurrently, or does he swipe at the puck in the middle of the rink, where there is a greater chance of his wheels getting blown off in the neutral zone and one Philly D is left back hanging.

Just not seeing it fellas, and I'm kinda sick and tired of all the complaints when a player is hurt - everyone wants there to be an automatic suspension for retribution purposes, but that shouldn't always be the case.

I'm only 27 too, so I have seen my share of older hockey and the new generation of hockey.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
It amazes me how everyone sees it differently me as an older guy who grew up watching a much better brand of Hockey IMHO when I first saw the hit I thought I wish we had someone who kept people honest but the younger fans first thought is suspension.......I wonder where the dividing line age wise takes place

Well I'm sure during the game most fans wished someone would of grabbed the guy. But when no one did. Which was an utter disappointment. I'm sure fans thought the league should of stepped in. Guys need to feel a comradery on the ice and in a locker room. And when you start to stick up for one another like that it transitions to much more then you five man unit on the ice. That's what wins championships. Look at the Hawks they all stick up for one another look at the Kings their cup runs they did the same thing.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Well you are acting like there only two choices:
A) Stick check or
B) Headshot.

He could have easily dropped his body center and hit him in the chest or made primary contact other than the head some other way. He had plenty of time to adjust, he knew Stahberg didn't see him.
BTW, Gudas is not bigger, he is three inches shorter than Stahlberg.
Also BTW, I am older. 53. Sometimes I too yearn for someone to just police the other team, but that isn't the game anymore.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Yeah, all the OLD players are suing because they have no more money left. So, what or who is an easy culprit to sue? The league you once played for.

A player signs a contract to play in the most *ELITE* league in the entire world - don't you think they know at any given time their career can end, malicious or not? That's the highs and lows when entering a career as a professional player in any sport, especially contact.

Gudas made a guaranteed play. Does he take the body in the neutral zone, and also make a statement concurrently, or does he swipe at the puck in the middle of the rink, where there is a greater chance of his wheels getting blown off in the neutral zone and one Philly D is left back hanging.

Just not seeing it fellas, and I'm kinda sick and tired of all the complaints when a player is hurt - everyone wants there to be an automatic suspension for retribution purposes, but that shouldn't always be the case.

I'm only 27 too, so I have seen my share of older hockey and the new generation of hockey.

I am one year younger then you. And let me tell you we do not see it the same way. Playing the body is completely different then gearing up for a head shot

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I'm not seeing the whole 'gearing up for a headshot' - you're making it sound Gudas was intentionally saying before the hit, 'I'm gonna knock this ****in guy's head directly off his shoulders' - just don't think that was his thought process or the result of the hit in the neutral zone.

If Stalberg had his head up, he would still be skating with the team in practice, and may never have missed a game.

His head is down, in the god damn neutral zone, it's Hockey 101 - I was taught that when I was 4 before I could even stick handle.

I don't see launching, I don't see jumping, and I don't see a flying elbow either.

All I see is an unfortunate situation, off of a hockey play in the neutral zone. But, do I think Gudas wanted the opposition to know who he is? I sure as hell do man, and that's how you play the game.

There's a difference if you wreck someone from behind into the boards or you are Kronwall and you jump on the half boards in the offensive zone to slam the winger picking up the puck.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stalberg had his head down and he got creamed. Part of protecting yourself is some kind of normal awareness. When a player has his head down--his awareness is compromised and he makes himself vulnerable. Gudas didn't target his head--he hit him high in the upper body. He didn't leave his feet. It was a good hit and if it were a Rangers d-man doing that to an opponent a lot of people here would have been applauding it and defending their guy.

I wouldn't have had a problem though with a Rangers player paying Gudas or another Flyers player back for that but it didn't happen. Sometimes a team needs to do it's own policing.

OTOH I don't have a problem with former players suing the league over the concussion issue. The NHL was really late to the game in figuring head injuries out. Sending guys back in well before they were ready to return was the norm for a long long time. Ignorance is bliss I suppose but it's not a good excuse. Now they'd like to deny. The military use to deny the harmful effects to humans of anti-defoliants like Agent Orange. The NHL thinks it's not culpable for past mistakes and like other big business in other sectors there's the tendency to walk away from the harm/damage they do or have done. I can buy their ignorance--I don't buy their innocence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->