Injury Report: Viktor Rask: Out Indefinitely (Hand/Fingers)

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's pretty remarkable to get worse in the two positions that got Francis fired for not addressing. At least if this season is unsuccessful we won't have to fire someone competent.

We're not getting worse at Center. We're getting players who are less experienced in that role, but are much more talented. The skill level will be higher but less consistent. Aho/Staal/Necas/Wallmark(?) is a better lineup down the middle than Staal/Rask/Ryan/(Kruger/Whoever). Absolutely no question in my mind. Will they be what we want them to be? I don't know. I'm skeptical that Wallmark can play the hard shifts on the 4th line that we really need him to play to take the pressure off of Staal. But we haven't had that since McClement's first year, so that's not exactly an argument for Francis.

Goalie? Yeah, it sucks. We just didn't have any real options. Mrazek is not the worst thing ever, though. My money is on Mrazek recovering- he stole a starting job from a pretty damn good goalie once. He's proven something Darling hasn't, even with his meltdown in Philly. Goalies are voodoo, but if one of our goalies makes a run, I'd bet it's him.

We know what we would have gotten in Ward. Better than Darling, but not physically up to handling a full season's worth of work anymore. It sucks- he's a great guy, and when he's on his form, a spectacular goalie who's legitimately one of the best around. But we broke him. If we resigned him, we know that we couldn't be good enough, because Ward can't be good for enough games. So it's a spin of the roulette wheel- boom or bust.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yeah, I wasn't really counting on Rask to do a whole lot this year after his previous season and now that his buddy/best linemate Skinner is gone. Obviously he still has time to rebound and it sucks we have one less option to begin the season but I think we'll be alright for now. When Rask comes back and it turns out we were actually missing him much more than we thought, that's not a bad thing either.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Tendons are fun. I'm told a co-worker back in the day stupidly meant to hit a finger-guardless knife standing on to a wooden board, but as the knife stopped his fisted hand continued the movement over the blade. The doctors had to trace and pull his finger tendons from somewhere near his shoulder.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't really counting on Rask to do a whole lot this year after his previous season and now that his buddy/best linemate Skinner is gone. Obviously he still has time to rebound and it sucks we have one less option to begin the season but I think we'll be alright for now. When Rask comes back and it turns out we were actually missing him much more than we thought, that's not a bad thing either.

Rask played all of last season with an Injury and still played a respectable two way game while injured. I think he was going to turn it around and put up 45 - 50 points this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad