TV: Vikings

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think Ivar has easily become one of my favorite characters. The story of his path to the top so far has been epic.

latest

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
"Seasons" have almost become meaningless in modern television. I never liked it when shows started doing the "mid-season finale" but it's gone too far in some cases, Vikings being one of them. A month or two break is one thing but starting a season in November and picking up the second half of that same season exactly a year later is ridiculous.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
What do any of you think about the historical liberties taken in the show? I don't hold it to a terribly strict standard when it comes to this, but I wonder how many fans know what is and isn't true.

Basically all of the Alfred stuff is not true. The real Alfred became king after his brother king died.

Rollo was a real person who really became the ruler of what became Normandy. But he didn't become ruler of Normandy in the same manner as in the show. The real Rollo was also born almost 100 years after the first Viking raid on Lindisfarne (which is shown in the series).

These are just a couple, but most people get it. The show took the names of real people (or legends) and crafted a show around them. Does it bother any of you or is it all just a bit of fun?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
What do any of you think about the historical liberties taken in the show? I don't hold it to a terribly strict standard when it comes to this, but I wonder how many fans know what is and isn't true.

Basically all of the Alfred stuff is not true. The real Alfred became king after his brother king died.

Rollo was a real person who really became the ruler of what became Normandy. But he didn't become ruler of Normandy in the same manner as in the show. The real Rollo was also born almost 100 years after the first Viking raid on Lindisfarne (which is shown in the series).

These are just a couple, but most people get it. The show took the names of real people (or legends) and crafted a show around them. Does it bother any of you or is it all just a bit of fun?

At the end of the day it is just a T.V. show... Obviously they are going to take liberty to make it interesting.

Reactions: glovesave_35

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

I like that it gives you incentive to look stuff up, but remember the Vikings weren't a literate people. All the stuff we know about them were second-hand accounts after the fact, usually recorded by the people whose asses they'd been kicking for decades if not centuries. There's actually some speculation that the religion we ascribe to them wasn't in fact what they really believed. Swear by wikipedia.

But decent season opener, although I'm finding myself really not caring about Floki's new settlement in Iceland. Glad that we get to carry on the story.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I don't mind it tbh. If I wanted true events etc I'd watch a doco.

Reactions: glovesave_35
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I like that it gives you incentive to look stuff up, but remember the Vikings weren't a literate people. All the stuff we know about them were second-hand accounts after the fact, usually recorded by the people whose asses they'd been kicking for decades if not centuries. There's actually some speculation that the religion we ascribe to them wasn't in fact what they really believed. Swear by wikipedia.

I'm curious who is questioning the Norse religion as we know it. Has there been scholarly work done on this recently?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'll have to wait for the show to hit a streaming service this season, I think. The new episodes aren't available anywhere, are they?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
And anyway, a new episode happened. Still not into Floki being all emo in Iceland amidst his bickering followers who are now coming up with a bad case of buyer's remorse for his leadership.

Heahmund gets his freak on with Lagertha, Bjorn gets his freak on with the princess brought over for Alfred, the crazy chick into Ivar gets her freak on with everyone, and the even crazier chick Ubba dumped makes a fateful choice. This one was more boning-intensive than bloodshed-intensive.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
Why was Margathe hated so much? All I remember was her shit talking Lagertha and urging Ubbe to become king? Plenty of worse has happened in the show. Anyway, the writing is worse in this past season or half season. Ivar and Björn are very one dimensional characters who just look angry all the time. No one was able to fill the void of carrying the show after Ragnar's death.

I wish they would make an effort to show you the culture and beliefs of the Vikings like they did in season one. I thought they might go that route with the Floki/Iceland stuff but it's just more murder and revenge stuff like the rest.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why was Margathe hated so much? All I remember was her **** talking Lagertha and urging Ubbe to become king? Plenty of worse has happened in the show. Anyway, the writing is worse in this past season or half season. Ivar and Björn are very one dimensional characters who just look angry all the time. No one was able to fill the void of carrying the show after Ragnar's death.

I wish they would make an effort to show you the culture and beliefs of the Vikings like they did in season one. I thought they might go that route with the Floki/Iceland stuff but it's just more murder and revenge stuff like the rest.

And that's what I can't stand. The show is so bland now. No one can fill in ragnars shoes. It's so poorly written and all over the place. The show makes zero sense and the characters are so fake that it destroys the immersion.

The group of Alfred, Rollo, Ragnar, and Ecbert made the show so good because their dynamics were very well written and focused upon.

The show has so many stories it tries to tell that it actually misses out on telling a fully fleshed story. It sucks man.

The last episode has me mad because it was such a bad episode.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Why was Margathe hated so much? All I remember was her **** talking Lagertha and urging Ubbe to become king? Plenty of worse has happened in the show. Anyway, the writing is worse in this past season or half season. Ivar and Björn are very one dimensional characters who just look angry all the time. No one was able to fill the void of carrying the show after Ragnar's death.

I agree that they missed an opportunity with Bjorn. He is quite one dimensional now. Ivar always has been.

I disagree a little that the shoe misses Ragnar. His character was waning in interest to me toward his end. I just think they tried a bit too hard to focus on the ensemble when the show needs one or two really strong characters.

I agree about showing the culture and belief system more. That sacrifice episode in season 1 was one of the best of the show's run.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It just hit me recently how much Ubbe looks like Ragnar.

And man, it bothers me a little how much Hvitserk looks like a kid. I just can't buy him as some Viking warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->