TV: Vikings

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
Vikings is not nor has it ever been intended as ****ing history class. The invasion of the Great Heathen Army took something like ten years. On the show it was a couple of episodes. What I'm saying is there's no suspense because you know nothing's going to happen to anyone major.

the show does not do a good job at showing you how many years go by but the show so far has gone through like 35 years.

so in that regard i understand your complaint but the show has been staying as true as possible to history so i'm not really sure what you want when you're asking for suspense...the vikings rarely lost any battles....

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm midway through the latest episode and I thought I recognized one of the guys in Floki's group

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

Also, the way Bjorn and Co. escaped being beheaded was absolutely ridiculous

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Looks like Ubbe's career as head of Lagertha's army may be short-lived

Welcome home, Bjorn!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm midway through the latest episode and I thought I recognized one of the guys on Floki's boat

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

I haven't seen the last episode, but from the previous one, there are a pair of "hey it's that guy" people among the ones who were keen on following Floki. One was former pro wrestler-turned-actor Adam "Edge" Copeland, who also appeared for a while on the Sci-Fi network show Haven in its last couple seasons.

The other is genre actor Kris Holden-Reid, who's been in a TON of stuff, including one of the Underworld movies, SyFy's Dark Matter, Lost Girl, and basically anything else shot in Canada in the last 15-20 years.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I haven't seen the last episode, but from the previous one, there are a pair of "hey it's that guy" people among the ones who were keen on following Floki. One was former pro wrestler-turned-actor Adam "Edge" Copeland, who also appeared for a while on the Sci-Fi network show Haven in its last couple seasons.

The other is genre actor Kris Holden-Reid, who's been in a TON of stuff, including one of the Underworld movies, SyFy's Dark Matter, Lost Girl, and basically anything else shot in Canada in the last 15-20 years.

I probably didn't phrase that quite right

I knew it was Edge, I was wondering if anyone else recognized him

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm really looking forward to next week's episode, but having said that, I'm not sure how much continued interest I'll have in the show if Lagertha and Bjorn are killed off

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I'm really looking forward to next week's episode, but having said that, I'm not sure how much continued interest I'll have in the show if Lagertha and Bjorn are killed off

You know I said the same thing about Ragnar and the show has improved with him gone IMO. I'm actually thinking the show could go on for quite some time if they wanted. From a historic perspective I'd like more Rolo since his lineage is rather important.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You know I said the same thing about Ragnar and the show has improved with him gone IMO. I'm actually thinking the show could go on for quite some time if they wanted. From a historic perspective I'd like more Rolo since his lineage is rather important.

Ragnar was a dope in his final season. I was relieved when he was killed off

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I'm half icelandic lineage,.i have the icelandic saga's,still got to read it but i flipped through it and a lot of the characters in this show are written about.i was wondering why 5 seasons in Erik the Red wasn't in it.it's because its way before his time.Erik the Reds son Leif Eriksson discovered north america.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Why didn't someone just put an arrow through Ivar's face when they were all standing around?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Yeah. More Rollo and what would become the Normans.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Heahmund is probably my favourite character. Glad he's seemingly not dead. Was a bit disappointed there when I thought he got killed off. Maybe a romance between him and Lagertha?

I love the respect that Ivar has for him, despite being so different. Like Ragnar with Athelstan.

Battle was kind of odd, I agree... I also expected a main character to die... I was almost sure Torvi was going to bite the dust.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The Sami as some kind of forest Ninjas was a bit to much. That whole episode was pretty bad to be honest with Ivars flip flopping and the flag waving.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Say what you will, the battle scenes are choreographed fantastic. It's the highlight of the slow and what sets it apart from other shows in a medieval setting, which had a tendency to eschew actual battles and simply narrate them (or show small fights in lieu of showing the big battle). It's one of my biggest issues with Last Kingdom, and it's also an issue with Game of Thrones.

I could not care less about Floki and Iceland. Why is this even in the show?

The problem is they can't devote any time to it because they've got 3-4 storylines going on at once during a 45 minute show. I know people hate the Walking Dead style of devoting full episodes to one story but I think it would work pretty well for Vikings.

It really felt like there was a scene missing there. Crap editing.

It's been a problem for the show forever. While the writing and visuals tend to be pretty good, production suffers. I know they have slightly different edits for the European version (where they get full frontal nudity for example) but it could be one of the reasons takes seem really weird.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Heahmund is probably my favourite character. Glad he's seemingly not dead. Was a bit disappointed there when I thought he got killed off. Maybe a romance between him and Lagertha?

I love the respect that Ivar has for him, despite being so different. Like Ragnar with Athelstan.

Battle was kind of odd, I agree... I also expected a main character to die... I was almost sure Torvi was going to bite the dust.

You actually thought he was going to be killed off? Seriously?

It's pretty obvious he's going to end up with Lagertha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad