TV: Vikings

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Has any series ever gotten better once the lead leaves?

Babylon 5 most certainly did. Nothing against O'Hare, but Boxtleitner performed wonderfully in his stead for the rest of the series.

Outside of that though, nope.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Late to the party, but I was behind so I had to catch up...

Just finished.

Agree with a lot of what was said....I enjoyed the show, mainly because I didn't rely on it to be historically accurate. Same with Last Kingdom.

Thoughts, I'll add tag for people who haven't watched.

A few things bothered me for sure...you could tell he was torn what to do with Ivar, and Hvitserk was always such an afterthought...him going crazy, then hooked on drugs...then the final battle stops to mourn Ivar...like what the hell..that would never happen...Ivar was a sociopath, he'd of just stab that dude and keep on his with his rant...which would of been awesome. To have him go out that way was just...awful writing. Either let Alfred drop him in a duel or let him live. Alfred would of gotten dropped too, he was seriously hurt, Ivar or Hvitserk or half the army would of went for him. And Hvitserk just turns beast mode off (yeah I mean he was exhausted but I'd imagine watching Ivar drop would second wind you) after his brother drops when Alfred is right there prime for the taking....So much ugh..The Floki thing, why? Also I get Ubbe not Blood Eagling the guy but man what a cock tease that was too. The guys whole gold madness was absurd. As was whats his name King of Iceland spiel. Erik going blind, Harold being King and then Hvitserk just abandoning the old Gods and renouncing his Viking life? what? Sure he probably seems lost now but that isn't a Hvitserk move but who knows with how poorly he was written.....I don't hate it, but its disappointing I guess. Bjorn went out like a hero, then Ivar gets shanked by a guy who earlier was about to cry about forest tales, come on...I need to absord this. So much wtf.

Reactions: glovesave_35

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Series finally ended in Canada. Have avoided this thread until I got caught up.

Lost: Here's an ending everyone hates!

Game of Thrones: Hold my beer.

Vikings: LEEEROY JENKINSSSSS!!

That was really sad. You can see they ran out of money for the big battle scenes sometime during the filming. Erik the Red's ending sucked. Hvitserk's ending sucked. Really wanted him to die a while ago. Such an annoying character. Glad we got to see Floki again, but the arc with Ubbe, Torvii and the rest obviously just stopped rather than actually being given a proper ending, especially as we know how Viking settlements went in North America.

After all that, Vikings ended in a faceplant. Too bad.

Reactions: Jussi

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Is nobody going to address the fact that this show took place in the real world, and yet a woman was able to blind a man with magic?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sure looks like they were trying to convey her as a witch using black magic...

She was exchanging looks with that one woman and Erik definitely either ate or drank something. Plus women or men who knew anything about plants and biology we're described as witches for centuries.

Reactions: Kurtz

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
She was exchanging looks with that one woman and Erik definitely either ate or drank something. Plus women or men who knew anything about plants and biology we're described as witches for centuries.

Then why put something under his side of the bed?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Superstition. The "witches" thought that hex item was needed in addition to the poison.

I think it's implied she used magic...

From the Wikipedia write up about the episode:

Ingrid starts an affair with Erik but secretly curses him using her witchcraft which makes Erik eventually blind.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Is nobody going to address the fact that this show took place in the real world, and yet a woman was able to blind a man with magic?

We had Odin come down and tell Ragnar’s sons he was dead, and the whole Harbard storyline which crossed way over the bounds of reality.

The Seer was suppose to be hundreds of years old and it was hinted he had supernatural powers.

So a little witchcraft didn’t really faze me, no.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

We had Odin come down and tell Ragnar’s sons he was dead, and the whole Harbard storyline which crossed way over the bounds of reality.

The Seer was suppose to be hundreds of years old and it was hinted he had supernatural powers.

I was about to mention the Seer too. It's pretty obvious from the beginning of the show that it was going to have a few supernatural elements in it. People were guided by visions and feelings quite a bit if I recall correctly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I was about to mention the Seer too. It's pretty obvious from the beginning of the show that it was going to have a few supernatural elements in it. People were guided by visions and feelings quite a bit if I recall correctly.

They were a bunch of f***ing stoners. The first season literally one whole episode dedicated to everyone tripping on whatever it was.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The supernatural and trippy elements are part of the reason why I lost interest and stopped watching after the first half of the 4th season. It's not like they were too common, but I'm kind of picky about history being realistic, especially when it's on a network named History. I think that the writers were trying to make the show a little like Game of Thrones.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
They were a bunch of f***ing stoners. The first season literally one whole episode dedicated to everyone tripping on whatever it was.
Mushrooms no doubt. They were widely used in those days; imagine finding something so wonderful amidst all the crazy world they were in.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yeah I also read it as her simply poisoning him. She had the poison under the pillow and then applied it with the salve to the still open wounds on his whipped back when he was on the bed.

Otherwise, there's no purpose to that scene.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

I always took the Seer to be a fortune teller... which we have even in today's society

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I always took the Seer to be a fortune teller... which we have even in today's society

It’s implied in the show he’s hundreds of years old and has supernatural powers.

Anything you look up about him basically echos that, ie:

The Seer

The show definitely has some supernatural stuff going on at times - but it is more implied than direct most of the time..

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I couldnt believe it was brent burns i had to google brent burns and it auto filled the vikings part.

In his final scene, he looked threatening and confident with a man advantage, but was bad defensively. No defensive awareness at all, and easily surprised.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad