Signing(s): Vikings hiring Kevin O’Connell

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Harbaugh was probably sitting there waiting for his BFF Stephen Ross to call him, saw the news coming out in Miami and was like "lol nope"

Props to the Vikings. Of the openings out there they were probably the most desirable given they have legitimate pieces and are probably in good position to make a playoff run. given They'll be the de-facto best team in the division once the Packers are done imploding this offseason.

Reactions: Voight

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I dont exactly see Kirk and him getting along.

I don't see Kirk even being on the team next year so that shouldn't be a problem unless this news is true and Harbaugh bangs the table for him.

KAM is all about data and all that and no one can look at the data that is Cousins' cap hit and want to be hamstrung by that. I also don't see him extending him and hitching his wagon to Kirk for 3 years.

Reading the tea leaves I think it's the Wilf's who want Harbaugh but KAM wants O'Connell as HC and to try to get Graham to come as DC.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Always thought he'd leave for a job with a "bigger" team / more popular one. or for a Grude like situation where he has total control.

Good for him, never liked how the ever petulant Jed York chased him out of SF.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

This is gonna look real bad if they announce Harbaugh tomorrow as head coach.

Why go through a 9 hour interview with Patrick Graham when harbaugh was the guy all along?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Why go through a 9 hour interview with Patrick Graham when harbaugh was the guy all along?

Sadly, for a person who hasn’t been a HC, you simply can’t turn down an opportunity to interview. Never know when your chance comes.

Kris Richard took over the DC job after Quinn left Seattle. Did well enough after 2 years to land a couple of HC interviews. Didn’t get them and was eventually fired from Seattle. Landed in Dallas as DB coach and passing game coordinator. Now in NO as DB coach.

from HC hopeful to DB coach.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

They interviewed Kevin O'Connell and Raheem Morris again on Monday too. Why bother with those two then too? And I guess in this case only Morris would matter since O'Connell is white? And I believe the Graham interview was scheduled before they set up a visit with Harbaugh anyway. This just seems like people trying to fish for something based on the timing of the Flores' stuff. Like the tweets above say it's still not a given that Harbaugh gets the job either.

The Vikings new GM is also black btw and is close with Graham.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Harbaugh was never doing this if the GM came before him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No idea what to expect as with most first time HCs but I wanted more of an offensive guy so I'm fine with it. A lot will depend on the staff though because the talk of bringing in Fangio and Munchak was one of the most exciting things about potentially hiring Harbaugh. O'Connell has to get the staff around him right.

I will absolutely not be fine with it if this means Kirk stays. They were together one year in Washington and I really hope that was enough for O'Connell and he's not being brought in to coach Kirk. I love the Kwesi hire and O'Connell is fine but they have to complete the overhaul by making a change at QB as well.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Harbaugh not going to Minnesota.
Was it because he wanted full control? Or something else?
Sounded like there was a misconception between how both sides were approaching yesterday's interview. It wasn't actually Harbaugh's job if he wanted it, which it appears like that's what he was expecting based on the Michigan media leaks beforehand. The Vikings didn't plan the interview as a meeting to convince him to take the job, they approached it as a standard interview where Harbaugh needed to win them over like all their other candidates.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Might be in the minority but I actually preferred O'Connell to Harbaugh. Just wanting something fresh and new with a young GM and Coach starting from scratch and building the team up. Even if it fails you still had to do this.

It seems like Harbaugh thought all he had to do was show up and he had the job, but they actually put him through the entire interview process like any other candidate and he got a bit butthurt, lol. Also there's the rumors one of the minority owners was never a fan, but I'm sure if KAM and the Wilf's wanted him bad enough that guy would have been overruled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad