VIII. General Stars Talk Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Buy the lump of **** out.

Although it still very possible we buy out both, Horcoff seems like a more likely candidate for a compliance buyout. Horcoff has a $5.5 cap hit but is only getting payed $3 next year. Far too much tied up in a 4th line player. Spending $3 million to unlock $5.5 in cap space seems like a no brainer.

StarsFan74

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Although it still very possible we buy out both, Horcoff seems like a more likely candidate for a compliance buyout. Horcoff has a $5.5 cap hit but is only getting payed $3 next year. Far too much tied up in a 4th line player. Spending $3 million to unlock $5.5 in cap space seems like a no brainer.

I'd buy both of them out if I could but, for what its worth, Horcoff's position is a little harder to replace I'd say. That said, I still wonder what Nill was thinking trading for Horcoff especially when Grabovski, who was bought out a day before, was available.

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
Our defense is absolutely brutal, my god Goligoski....

Make some trades Nill, and do it sooner rather than later. Call up Oleksiak, put Connauton in, we need change in the back end.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That said, I still wonder what Nill was thinking trading for Horcoff especially when Grabovski, who was bought out a day before, was available.

The acquisition of Horcoff, especially at the expense of adding a talented player like Grabovski, has been his worst move by far. Given the history between Nill and Horcoff and Horcoff's recent seasons, the whole thing smacks of giving a guy he likes a chance to move on from a bad situation. Also, the whole veteran leadership angle. Unfortunately, Horcoff has just been a completely average/so-so player incapable of playing the center position anymore; so slow on his feet and his hands match his feet.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
No goalie. Throw a puck bucket in front of the net tonight and tell the Ducks they get credit for two goals if they shoot into the bucket instead of the net.

StarsFan74

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
The acquisition of Horcoff, especially at the expense of adding a talented player like Grabovski, has been his worst move by far. Given the history between Nill and Horcoff and Horcoff's recent seasons, the whole thing smacks of giving a guy he likes a chance to move on from a bad situation. Also, the whole veteran leadership angle. Unfortunately, Horcoff has just been a completely average/so-so player incapable of playing the center position anymore; so slow on his feet and his hands match his feet.

I understand it is hard for GMs not to be biased about players they know, but jeez...a little pow-wow with the pro-scouts would be welcome.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
We really need a 1A/1B goalie situation... We just can't get by on a mediocre backup, we need a Belfour/Turco type situation. Campbell can't progress fast enough.

piqued

easy game
Nov 22, 2006
We really need a 1A/1B goalie situation... We just can't get by on a mediocre backup, we need a Belfour/Turco type situation. Campbell can't progress fast enough.
And yet last season was spent apparently trying to prepare Nilstorp more than Campbell. :shakehead

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
The next two are 100% must wins.. Kinda good thing that the Calgary game isn't until thursday night..

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
There is no way Ruff keeps the lines the same right? I think it's safe to say Ruff and Nill were patient enough and it's time to react NOW (and by react I mean change up the lines etc).

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Having Kari in front of that defense is a finish just outside playoffs just waiting to happen- at best. He'll keep us either middling in mediocrity or from the pick the team in front of him deserves; whichever way you choose to look at it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
"There's a New Star Rising in Dallas, Texas"

*everyone in the arena bursts out in laughter"

*Montage of all the feats that Alex Chiasson has done comes on like creating fire and also turning wine into blood*

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
I really don't even know how we can get out of this. What trade/trades can we forge to fix our 3rd line and god awful defense? We have too many people on the team who are honestly negative value. Gonchar/Goligoski/Horcoff/(maybe) Cole. With a healthy Kari, we are only a bottom 8-12 or so team, not the bottom 5 we need to have actual progress sooner rather than a lot later.

I don't know, this season just feels kinda hopeless. "But it's only 8 games in!" Yeah, and so far we have destroyed our prize goalie prospect's debut (he already had huge confidence issues), we have had one honest goal from our bottom 6 in even strength play, and our defense is worse than ever.

The only light in this darkness is the ages of Nich, Seguin, Benn, and Chiasson. Our top 6 looks very strong, and the only one leaving any time soon is Whitney.

I just can't see the season being any different than the start of this season, other thank Kari coming back and stealing a few games. But does that honestly help the team? Another year of a mediocre pick, just barely missing the playoffs? I don't know.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Honestly, can we put Gonchar on waivers? If he clears and we send him to the AHL, he'll bolt for Russia and we'll be off the hook with him. Is there anything special about the 35+ rule regarding that?

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Eh, is it really surprising what is being seen out there? This was always going to be another development year for the kids.

A small trade to get rid of a d-man would be nice though. It's ridiculous to think about how many D the NHL and AHL teams both have.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Eh, is it really surprising what is being seen out there? This was always going to be another development year for the kids.

A small trade to get rid of a d-man would be nice though. It's ridiculous to think about how many D the NHL and AHL teams both have.

Well no its not surprising that they are a mediocre team, but it is surprising how many of the mistakes are coming from veteran players.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Surprising that they struggle? No. Surprising who's struggling? Yes.

I honestly didn't expect Gonchar to be this bad. Nor Goligoski for that matter. He wasn't great last year but at least he generated offense and collected points. I thought Horcoff would be a guy on the 4th line not a minute eater who takes penalties, night in and night out. Heck I hoped Cole would show his pre-season form instead of his version of suck like last season.

I didn't expect Dillon to fall this far off. I absolutely did not expect Nichushkin to be buried on the 3rd line after getting consistent top six ice time in preseason. And finally I expected Ruff to actually change things up when it's not working and he really hasn't.

So no I did not expect this. Even last year when we struggled I don't remember a ton of games outside of Chicago where we just basically quit half way through.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
Wouldn't get your hopes up. They aren't going to give Gonchar 10 mil. and then just waive him 8 games in without at least scratching him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad