View from Press Row - Canes vs Flames

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
People are less friendly on the internet than in person? That's a hot taek if I've ever seen one.

The article is pretty good for a recap, but as BBA mentioned, that didn't seem to be what was implied in the OP. I'll be curious to read one of these deeper "analysis" articles, I'm not sure I see any posted.

Yeah, those are generally very interesting to me. The guy from the Sabres boards posted an in depth review of how Carolina plays and supports the puck that must of taken a ton of time to do which was a good read. IIRC, Stephen Goalbert also posted an article or two that had more in depth analysis (or I saw it on Canes Country). Someone posted an article (but maybe it was just one of our members posting a link) on why Lack wasn't a good fit for Carolina that was very interesting and insightful as well. Really like those sort of articles.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Boom Boom touched on it a bit, as did AD Skinner. A lot of the articles are just those who "seagull" the board. As in, they drop their **** off and move on. They don't have any real interest in discussion, just simply want the hits on their site/article.

I don't mind writers posting their articles for views. I know how terrible the view count to money ratio generally is, so you've got to post your article pretty much anywhere you can if you want to earn anything.

However, when I was starting out, one of the first lessons I learned was that if you want views, you have to engage your audience. That means your article has to have something worth discussing (simple game recaps are worthless, for the most part) and you have to stick around and discuss it.

I used to post articles here, What the Faulk did as well. I'm sure I'm missing someone else. If any of the established members, those that have shown they're here for more than just a fly-by, posted an article, they'd likely get a less volatile response.
I get that. What I don’t get is, well now that thread is on its 4th page. Seems like a lot of effort that could be collectively saved if everyone just ignored the OP.

Anyways. Doesn’t matter. Back to the guy that is offended by ads. He seems angry.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'm curious to hear TSN's take on the conditioning of the Hurricanes. Will fitness walking be part of Aho's recovery? DISCUSS
You know....embedded in your sarcasm is something very interesting. Dundon’s
Comments about having better training facilities and better access to nutrition was kind of jarring to hear. It’s a goddamn NHL team and they’re not being served the proper food? That seemed odd to me.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I get that. What I don’t get is, well now that thread is on its 4th page. Seems like a lot of effort that could be collectively saved if everyone just ignored the OP.

As you worry that we've taken our collective irritation into its (gasp) 4th page, may I remind you that a thread entitled "I Like You Guys" is on its 222nd page?

Dude came hard, took himself Too Seriously Now, and is taking some stick.

If he comes back with a lighter 'tude and some actual news, it's all good.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
As you worry that we've taken our collective irritation into its (gasp) 4th page, may I remind you that a thread entitled "I Like You Guys" is on its 222nd page?

Well some people don’t like ads (gasp) and some people with fat fingers don’t like hitting those little page buttons.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You know....embedded in your sarcasm is something very interesting. Dundon’s
Comments about having better training facilities and better access to nutrition was kind of jarring to hear. It’s a goddamn NHL team and they’re not being served the proper food? That seemed odd to me.

Good lede in there!

Go dig in, TSN. Show us what you got!

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ

ISWYDT

Reactions: Breakdowns

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Boom Boom touched on it a bit, as did AD Skinner. A lot of the articles are just those who "seagull" the board. As in, they drop their **** off and move on. They don't have any real interest in discussion, just simply want the hits on their site/article.

I don't mind writers posting their articles for views. I know how terrible the view count to money ratio generally is, so you've got to post your article pretty much anywhere you can if you want to earn anything.

However, when I was starting out, one of the first lessons I learned was that if you want views, you have to engage your audience. That means your article has to have something worth discussing (simple game recaps are worthless, for the most part) and you have to stick around and discuss it.

I used to post articles here, What the Faulk did as well. I'm sure I'm missing someone else. If any of the established members, those that have shown they're here for more than just a fly-by, posted an article, they'd likely get a less volatile response.
I used to write for Canes Country and occasionally write for Bob Wage's new site. I posted links to those articles and got very constructive feedback, so I don't think the board is necessarily jaded or pissy about it. The key is to have some value to what you're writing. But that's already been mentioned....

Re: better food/nutrition for the team....I seem to remember that being a significant piece of the "rookie camp". There's like a whole morning session on it.

Reactions: Breakdowns

TSportsNet

You posted this not to "spur discussion of the game", but rather get hits to your site/article

We're not discussing anything here because we've already got multiple topics discussing what you'd like us to discuss here. The GDT is what you're looking for if you'd like to discuss the game/post-game. We've got an Aho injury thread, which has also broken into a discussion of possible trades and "team toughness."

Not looking for clicks, honestly.

Exposure for the site and what perspective another source offers can help.

Many times, stories can be written, game recaps for example, that no longer serve the appetite of readers.a

Thus, I thought, let me ask fans/supporters of the team directly hockey-related questions to understand what they're thinking.

Instead of just browsing anonymously, I signed up to become a part of the conversation.

My questions and interest to respond are genuine.

I'll provide my responses on other threads.

Thanks for responding.

TSportsNet

I used to write for Canes Country and occasionally write for Bob Wage's new site. I posted links to those articles and got very constructive feedback, so I don't think the board is necessarily jaded or pissy about it. The key is to have some value to what you're writing. But that's already been mentioned....

Re: better food/nutrition for the team....I seem to remember that being a significant piece of the "rookie camp". There's like a whole morning session on it.

Good to know, and now that I think of it, I do recognize your handle.

Bob and I were recently talking about doing some collaborative work.

We'll see where that may go.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Anyways. Doesn’t matter. Back to the guy that is offended by ads. He seems angry.
I'll let you know there has been numerous cutbacks in sponsor benefits because of the incompatible new site mechnanics, incl. over-sized avatars, and I feel stongly about the matter. It's a dollar per month of the money that I work har... wor... go to the workplace many times a week for.

The avatars are better f***ing offend me in non-commercial fashion only.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad